Author Topic: Charlies Angels Restoration  (Read 7800 times)

Offline Brettski

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast, Queensland
  • Since I Was A Young Boy I Played The Silver Ball!
    • Strikes and Spares Restoration
Re: Charlies Angels Restoration
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2016, 09:11:55 PM »
I checked and re checked the connections and all is good so I replaced the power supply board with a spare I had and bingo! it worked again (no coils locking). So I do the ground mod on the power supply and all cpu coils lock on again! Any idea what might be going on here?

Cheers: Brettski... :)

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2016, 11:42:41 PM »
I checked and re checked the connections and all is good so I replaced the power supply board with a spare I had and bingo! it worked again (no coils locking). So I do the ground mod on the power supply and all cpu coils lock on again! Any idea what might be going on here?

Are all the voltages there?
Do you join the two grounds on the power supply?

Offline Brettski

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast, Queensland
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2016, 07:56:54 PM »
Thanks Chris, I decided that because I know the MPU is faulty and I plan to put a Pascal 4 in 1 board in it, why bother with this faulty crap so I ripped everything out of the backbox and installed the 4 in 1 board I have in my Cleopatra. Now all is good except I have 3 dodgy displays that I need to replace, some artwork repair on the backglass then finally the cabinet.

It looks like the tricky technical stuff is out of the way now, just have to wait til I pick up more work before I can buy a board and displays but moving forward now and can play the machine with some borrowed displays from Cleopatra.

Offline Brettski

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast, Queensland
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2016, 11:07:16 PM »
Update!

Now that the playfield is spot on and all the electronic issues taken care of I have started on the backglass.
The worst areas are the translucent paint on Cheryl Ladd's hair which has cracked, the main Charlie's Angels logo between score 1 and 2 and the Shoot Again at the top which is badly destroyed. The rest is just opaque patches that need careful colour matching. Lucky the mirror reflective pieces have not been damaged.

Cheryl's hair is a mess that I don't even think Pantene would fix but it is contained to the hair area only so I made a cutout from thin cardboard in the shape of the hair and placed it behind which now disguises it and doesn't draw the eye to the bad area. It's a reasonable temporary fix at the very least.

As for the Charlies main logo I have currently removed the light bulbs but plan on scraping out the orange paint in the letters and then airbrush over it.

The Shoot Again text is an issue so the best thing to do that I can think of is maybe scrape away the remainder then print a waterslide decal, apply it and then carefully paint the opaque area back in around it.

Here are some before and after pics of the block on Cheryl's hair.

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2016, 01:00:01 AM »
She's turned into a brunette. Gotta get onto that asap.

As a kid I always wanted to mess up Cheryl's hair and anything else I could get my hands on. She was my fave by far.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 01:02:33 AM by pinball god »
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline Brettski

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast, Queensland
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2016, 12:31:44 AM »
She's turned into a brunette. Gotta get onto that asap.

As a kid I always wanted to mess up Cheryl's hair and anything else I could get my hands on. She was my fave by far.

Yeah Cheryl did it for me too! wasn't much of a Farrah fan! the "brunette tone" is only temporary until I get some more bleach.. LOL

I have been working on the cabinet stencil artwork and really happy with how it is coming along although I must say it is not a hard stencil to re create.

Pics so far..

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2016, 08:59:16 PM »
Cool, pictures are looking good.  ^^^

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2016, 09:26:21 PM »
Looking good, especially Cheryl as a brunette!
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Brettski

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast, Queensland
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2016, 06:14:09 PM »
I am want to add a mod to this game, I want to have mp3 sound bytes triggered using a Raspberry Pi. The sound bytes from the tv show will be used. This was done in a Visual Pinball version of Charlies Angels and I kind of liked it and thought it would be a good novelty to add to this machine. I have the Raspberry Pi and currently programming it to be capable of doing what I want. The question I have for anyone who understands electronics out there is can I use the current score trigger switches on the playfield to also connect to the Raspberry Pi computer without any problems to either system (Pi or Pascal MPU). I am assuming there is voltage going through those switches and I may have to run a parallel switch separate from the game but triggered by the ball at the same time. Any input on this is much appreciated.

Offline Brettski

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast, Queensland
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2016, 02:13:10 AM »
I found a wav trigger device that will be easier than the Raspberry Pi for this project and also realised that I cannot use the existing switches due to current running through them so I just need to work out some type of secondary switch where I want the sounds to trigger. I am sure I will work something out there so I will keep you updated. Here is a link to the Wav Trigger Device.. https://www.sparkfun.com/products/13660

Still working on the backglass and finishing of the stencils ready to restore the cabinet.
In the meantime I have given the inside of the coin door a once over which came up great, here are some before and after pics.. 

« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 02:16:01 AM by Brettski »

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2016, 10:26:25 AM »
Can you use the triggers for the original sound board?
Not quite sure how this one works or if the sound triggers are multiplexed???

Offline Brettski

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast, Queensland
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2016, 11:27:22 PM »
I have completed the backglass artwork repair, it is not perfect but is certainly not obvious and will do to have the game in the games room ready to play.
Cabinet and legs are next, really happy with how this is coming along.

Here is a video of the backglass and playfield artwork plus a before pic of the backglass

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2016, 11:53:30 PM »
Great job and nice little video. The backglass repairs are not noticeable at all and that playfield looks fantastic also. You should be very proud of the way this game has come up.  ^^^

Offline Brettski

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast, Queensland
« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2016, 12:24:42 AM »
Great job and nice little video. The backglass repairs are not noticeable at all and that playfield looks fantastic also. You should be very proud of the way this game has come up.  ^^^

Thanks Crash, much appreciated. I had to take the bulbs out behind the main Charlie's Angels text as the cracks show badly but there are 4 more on the artwork so I didn't think it would matter. Yes very happy with it so far.. :) Here is a pic of behind the backglass, it's very messy but it works! ;)

Offline Brettski

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast, Queensland
« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2016, 12:31:39 AM »
And here is a shot of the front :)