Author Topic: How to touch this playfield up?  (Read 1116 times)

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
How to touch this playfield up?
« on: March 18, 2009, 09:31:33 PM »
Here is a playfield shot of the game I'm about to buy - a Gottlieb Thoro-bred from 1965. As can be seen by the photo the playfield around the bumpers has seen better days.

So what do you think would be the best way to restore this old girl?

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Re: How to touch this playfield up?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 10:03:09 PM »
Being solid colors id try to color match to the existing color on the playfield paint it into the missing areas building up layers then block sanding it all smooth once dry. Then do the black with a sharpie  then clear coat the playfield.  This work well if you have a good eye for color as matching is the hardest part. But im sure you already know this?

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 10:39:31 PM »
Being solid colors id try to color match to the existing color on the playfield paint it into the missing areas building up layers then block sanding it all smooth once dry. Then do the black with a sharpie  then clear coat the playfield.  This work well if you have a good eye for color as matching is the hardest part. But im sure you already know this?

only things i could add would be to prime the bare wood first, so as to make sure the paint will adhere properly. And you have to be REAL careful if clearcoating over sharpie ink.. it nearly always runs under the clearcoat. i did this successfully.. ONCE!!  most of the times id tried it in the past the ink ran and i had to start all over again!! @.@ Very light coats is the key here i have found. I believe there some other brands of pens that work better for this than Sharpies, that wont run under clear coat.. i think Gavin (retropin) might be able to offer some advice in this department.

Hope this is of some assistance..

Cheers .. Mitch

« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 10:42:13 PM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 10:43:16 PM »
Yes first coats need to go on dry so hold the spray gun away from the playfield once you have an even dry coat you can hit it with a wet coat. First playfield i tried the sharpie did run with the clearcoat

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 11:17:18 PM »
Yes first coats need to go on dry so hold the spray gun away from the playfield once you have an even dry coat you can hit it with a wet coat.

Yepp.. pretty much what i ended up doing. This was on my home made Vortex machine when i clearcoated over the mostly hand drawn/painted art and the bloody ink ran...AAAGH!! was not happy.

Since then i've used a full sheet of mylar on all of my PF restores.. just saves a lot of time i find.

Marty Machine

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 01:18:22 AM »
Since the colour would be old & faded, you would colour match as close as possible (use a pantone chart) and then i'd lean towards redoing the entire colour area around the bumpers, so you're adding a complete fresh layer of colour, rather than trying to match the original 1/2 with your new colour....then go for the coating/film over the lot etc etc.

Just my 20c  &&
MM.

Offline humpalot

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2009, 09:47:06 AM »
Have a look at the hi hand playfield that I done, it will show what to use for the black area's  ^^^

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2009, 04:32:41 PM »
Thanks guys,

Appreciate all your advice.....was hoping Gav would chime in  &&

Gav did you want this job?  #@#

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009, 04:58:16 PM »
Thanks guys,

Appreciate all your advice.....was hoping Gav would chime in  &&

Gav did you want this job?  #@#

I was going to say - Gav will go it - But I have a feeling he is trapped behind all his restoration work and can't get to his PC

%.%
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2009, 07:56:34 PM »
Have a look at the hi hand playfield that I done, it will show what to use for the black area's  ^^^

Ah, yes, the Rapidograph ink pens - I've already mentioned that in another recent thread.