Author Topic: A very Shiny Swords Of Fury  (Read 5379 times)

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
Re: A very Shiny Swords Of Fury
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2009, 12:01:06 AM »
I cannot believe I missed it...I love my Sys 11's....

Great work from Mark's crew as usual..

if the bubbles are only on the inserts get you self a new set of insert decals, cut out the mylar over inserts + remove the old decals and stick on your new decals and hey presto no more bubbles.
make sure you get the high quality ones that don't need mylar or clear coat over them.
I have done this once before and it worked a treat.
 if you do remove the mylar you will need new decals for the inserts. one trick i have found handy is to put on the decals after you have clear coated it and the clear coat has cured properly, (leave it a few weeks) then if the decals do bubble again you can just peel them off and put on new ones with out recoating your playfield with clear coat.
here is a link i have found which is very handy if you want to remove your mylar. they use a product called goo gone which you can't buy in austrlia but can get on ebay from america.(http://pinball.flippers.info/mylarremoval.asp)

I saw this is how Chris Hutchins did a Funhouse I think...  I'm still yet to tackle CC a playfield...I've gotten over the hurdles of playfield removal, PCB repair next will be cab decals...I'm thinking about doing a quick course on airbrushing too...They is a guy who runs one in Thomastown...I've talked my spray painter mate into teaching me clearing (basics) but will take a long time to master...

How long have you been clearing your's for?  Any hurdles or tips...
about 5 years but have only done 2 pins.
a couple of tips, well one important factor is a dust free enviroment, first coat should only be very light, don't do it on a very windy day even though you are inside when you open the door in comes the dust (or if a mate drops buy and opens the door while your spaying), make sure your playfield is perfectly level before you spray, and before you do your playfield practice on some wood panels or an old door which has been painted black so you can get your technique right + get the feel of the spray gun, let the panel you are practicing on dry and check it for dust, if you see dust on it then you need to find a more dust free area. these things should help when starting out, even if you practice you clear coat on the underside of your playfield (after masking all your inserts) you should be able to see if your ready for the important side.
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2009, 12:05:25 AM »
one question, how come if mark had it for so long no one bought it?
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Marty Machine

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2009, 02:23:18 AM »
I never had the coin when i discovered i was 'liking' the game.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2009, 09:49:17 AM »

In my case, I was waiting for the infamous "80's Container" as I had reserved a Haunted House and a Spirit.

If the HH and Spirit were not available - I would have snagged the SoF.

In the end, I took the HH, Spirit (X2) and a Force II. So I had to let the idea of snagging the SoF go
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2009, 05:37:07 PM »

Mark quite often has lots of 'goodies' out back or if he doesn't have it he will get it...

I guess your pins like MM, Monster Bash, AFM, TZ etc are generally sold before they even have time for a coffee (hehe, my 1st coffee joke!  $#$ )
Some times pins can sit for a bit and get sold on Ebay....Mark had two F14's and both were gone by the time I made up my mind and sorted the cash...Hmm who got that one again...... ^&(

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2009, 07:48:25 PM »
Very nice  ^^^

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2009, 08:26:56 PM »

It's all about timing, isn't it?

Like, whether you have the cash and where the pin in question is ranked on your list. And whether those two meet up with the pin for sale.

Offline Geoffh

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne Vic
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2009, 08:47:11 PM »

Well sometime they stay out the back because we have a backlog of "sold" and we get around to revamping the ones out the back in between checking and fixing sold ones

there is just not enough time sometimes so some are left to wait in the shadows.

That's why if your after something specific it is better to ask if we have something than wait to see if it becomes available sometime.

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2009, 09:17:26 PM »

Well sometime they stay out the back because we have a backlog of "sold" and we get around to revamping the ones out the back in between checking and fixing sold ones

there is just not enough time sometimes so some are left to wait in the shadows.

That's why if your after something specific it is better to ask if we have something than wait to see if it becomes available sometime.

Going out 'the back' is the best part.  I love seeing the pins in their original state - straight off the container....Like your Jackbot for example.  Even though its dusty and in need of a good clean, you can see an A1 machine underneith.
Bit like finding a nice XU1 Torana (dirty) in a shed.  I would much rather enjoy bring one back to its original glory..

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2009, 09:53:41 PM »
Wow Nino now i understand why you were so keen on unloading that Container.  I was excited just to help but with 3 pins waiting i would have been like you aswell

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2009, 12:40:37 AM »
Wow Nino now i understand why you were so keen on unloading that Container.  I was excited just to help but with 3 pins waiting i would have been like you aswell

I've been pushing Mark / Childs for quite some time to chase older pins. Once I saw some "early" photos - I recognized the games and basically asked if I could "reserve" them - pending availability. I also helped "twist" Mark's arms to keeping a "lookout" for them.

It also helps if you give the guys a list of what you may be after. It helps them make the business decisions based on demand. I always knew that a 40 footer and 20 footer full of oldies was going to "walk out the door" - and I was right. I basically asked Mark - If you have title X, Y, Z - Grab them for me.

If someone would have told me four years ago I'd have these games in my collection - I would have laughed my head off. All I did was ask.

Yes - I sweated as the FIRST Haunted house was an empty body !

The SECOND was complete and sits in my garage.

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2009, 06:41:14 AM »
I,ve noticed that a lot of companys don't bother with the older pins, they walk you through there warehouse with big smiles on there faces, so proud of there collection of "90's" pins. but didn't the mainsteam pinball industry crash and burn in the late 90's? You ask them do you have a bally lost world or paragon of even a black knight (1980). and there reply is we don't bother with the older pins, there is to much work involved in getting them up to scratch. And they call them selves pin enthusiasts! They aren't even intrested in playing the pins they have in stock.I understand there views from a buisness point of view, but still it would be nice to see them with one or two oldies on there floor. My eldest son's school mates would brag about how they have a batman or spiderman pinball and how much better they are then his dads old sof or fire. They come around to play it so they can bag him about the old pins, then you see the look on there faces when they play them and the coments they make, "oh thats sick" one of them said and my son had to nearly pry him off the pin when his mate had to go home.
Long live the older pins which i say are a piece of our history.   
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 03:37:32 PM by Beaky »

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2009, 08:31:26 AM »
Long live the older pins which i say is are a piece of our history.   

Spot on!
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2009, 08:40:25 AM »
I,ve noticed that a lot of companys don't bother with the older pins, they walk you through there warehouse with big smiles on there faces, so proud of there collection of "90's" pins. but didn't the mainsteam pinball industry crash and burn in the late 90's? You ask them do you have a bally lost world or paragon of even a black knight (1980). and there reply is we don't bother the older pins, there is to much work involved in getting them up to scratch. And they call them selves pin enthusiasts! They aren't even intrested in playing the pins they have in stock.I understand there views from a buisness point of view, but still it would be nice to see them with one or two oldies on there floor. My eldest son's school mates would brag about how they have a batman or spiderman pinball and how much better they are then his dads old sof or fire. They come around to play it so they can bag him about the old pins, then you see the look on there faces when they play them and the coments they make, "oh thats sick" one of them said and my son had to nearly pry him off the pin when his mate had to go home.
Long live the older pins which i say is are a piece of our history.   

There was a very honest and open thread about a similar topic with some great input..

http://aussiepinball.com/index.php?topic=485.0

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2009, 10:45:54 AM »
Your right there beaky they do ignore the old ems but thats great means more projects for me yeahhhh $#$