Author Topic: Midway Wild Kingdom Restoration  (Read 1564 times)

Offline dj10555

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
Midway Wild Kingdom Restoration
« on: January 13, 2009, 10:26:07 PM »
I thought I would post some details on a Midway Wild Kingdom EM game I recently picked up. It has been more of a repair than a restoration. The game had already been fully restored/repainted but during shipping the backglass and mirror were broken. The damage to the cabinet was fairly superficial. First job was to remove all the broken pieces of glass and mirror from the cabinet. Large pieces were lifted out and the rest was brushed out using a small paint brush and vacuum cleaner. There was only one piece of a scenery which had come away. After re-viewing the flyer for the game, I could see where the piece belonged and it was glued back in place.

The game was still set to 110V and with this particular game there are no adjustments available on the transformer so I needed to run it from a stepdown transformer.
I was unsure if my transformer was sufficient to power the game so I connected it up to the game and measured the current being drawn. My unit was a 550 watt unit so this was fine for the job.

With the game now on, I was able to place a few credits. The start button was sticking in so I removed it, cleaned and adjusted the position using the screws on the back.

Next I could see the score reels were not resetting properly but couldn't at first why they were not working. The spot welds around the score reel mounting frame had broken and the score reels were sagging slightly! Rather than try to weld these, which would require stripping of all the components,  I decided to drill the welds out and replace them with screws/nuts. I covered up any electrical components and the playfield beneath, centre punched the welds, then using a drill bit dipped in grease (to catch some swarf) slowly drilled out each weld. Then used screws with nylocs to make sure they would not come loose.

While the game was on I noticed that Charlie the Hunter was also running at full speed and could not be adjusted. With this game, you get the first shot and then it is a race between the game (Charlie the Hunter) and yourself to hit the targets first. The circuit for the motor control board is reasonable simple and there is not much to go wrong. I checked the SCRs first and they were OK but found one of the 2N4871 faulty. Replaced this and was now able to slow the game down for testing purposes.

I have measured the frame to get the mirror W x H and was able to get the thickness from leftover piece of glass.

The doors were secured with screws which were just starting to crack the edge of the timber so I removed these and fitted some new locks to the cabinet. I squirted a bit of liquid nails into the small cracks to prevent any further splitting.

Replaced a couple of #44 bulbs and fitted the replacement backglass. The replacement backglass is probably a 8.5 with just a bit of flaking towards the top.

One of the legs mounting brackets had also broken so I just need to source a few of these.

I just need the mirror and the leg mounting brackets to finish the game off. You can shoot a couple of the animals if your lucky but am looking forward to trying the game out.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 10:42:26 PM by dj10555 »

Offline dj10555

• Forum Posts:
Re: Midway Wild Kingdom Restoration
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 10:29:01 PM »
More pictures
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 10:37:50 PM by dj10555 »

Offline Creech

• Forum Founder
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 10:29:50 PM »
I think you need to scale down the images a bit mate.

Offline Ford Fairlane

• Forum Posts:
  • Yass
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 10:34:10 PM »
Good one Derek!!! Keep the pics and details coming.

I have to agree with Creech about scaling down the images  !@#

Cheers Mate!

Offline dj10555

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 10:40:16 PM »
Thanks for the tip re. the pictures. Photos are now scaled down a bit.

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 11:01:00 PM »
Wow Derek,

Thanks a million for posting. Your WK looks very clean, did you import it from the US? This is one of the best EM gun games ever made and I just can't believe the condition of this game!  ^^^

Would say a large number of the guys reading this would never been fortunate to play one of these wonderful games

Did you say the backglass was damaged in transit? Looks fine in the pix - I know where there is a NOS one in the US if you want the contact please email me for the details.

Offline jyebow

• Forum Posts:
  • Maitland, NSW
  • GTB Pioneer, Bally Hi-Lo Ace, WMS Space Shuttle,
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 11:57:01 PM »
Hey Derek,
 Thanks for posting. I've never seen inside a EM Gun Game & can only just,  recall playing some at Port Macquarie on holidays when I was a kid, must of been back around 1976 ?  !@#
 That one is a beauty !!
Great stuff  ^^^
GTB Pioneer, Bally Hi-Lo Ace, WMS Space Shuttle, Data East Lethal Weapon 3

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 12:18:11 AM »

Thanks for sharing, Derek. Those pictures brought back a swag of memories. They were really nice games to play in the old days, especially the two player games. I have a parted out Gun Game in storage, which is kinda funny as the actual guns are stored somewhere. I'll need to find them one day !

I actually like the detail of the larger pictures !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline ktm450

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2009, 05:00:21 PM »

I too had never seen inside one of these beauties, having said that I've never had the chance to play one either
Looks great Derek  ^^^

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2009, 06:09:45 PM »
Some top info from Clay's site for anybody that may be interested in learning more on EM arcade games:

http://marvin3m.com/arcade/index.htm#guns

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2009, 08:15:18 PM »
I love the concept of these old EM arcade games, the stuff these guys came up wth and made work mechanically never ceases to amaze me, the arcade games even more than the pins!   !^! !^! !^!
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline The pinballist formally known as Dean Morgan

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Berwick Vic
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2009, 09:35:26 PM »
Thanks for posting, I used to love playing these almost as much as Pins in the early 70s.  Your lucky to have such a nice looking specin in your collection.  I hope to add one to mine onw day.
Im a Gottlieb Man - System 1 & 80 Rock

Offline dj10555

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2009, 11:14:15 PM »
Thanks everyone. I picked the game up from another collector who had recently imported it to Australia. When you break the game down into components it is relatively simple how they work (motor,relays,etc). But when it is all combined, it is amazing what the creators came up with long before video games were thought of!  I'm glad other collectors found it interesting and I will post some further details when its all running. I will also try to video the game so it can be seen in action.

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2009, 04:04:45 PM »
Thanks for sharing your machine. Ive always wanted one of these but the  wife just wont let me spend the cash whenever i find one.  I have the backglass from one hanging on the dinning room wall and a gun out in the shed but thats a close as ive come lol.  Do you still have yours in storage nino????  If you do did you want to sell?