Author Topic: Sinbad startup and 1000 chime.  (Read 1206 times)

Offline Klondike

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
Sinbad startup and 1000 chime.
« on: September 09, 2014, 02:00:36 PM »
I recently had all three circuit boards checked and repaired by a technician. During the testing, the CPU wouldn't allow a game to startup quite often, but after some repairs were made everything seemed okay. The first couple of games when I got home were perfect, everything worked as it should. Then it would take switching it on and off a number of times before it would start a game.I'd get the 5 second delay and the displays light up but pressing the credit button wouldn't start the game. Then, after a couple of days, the 1000 chime wouldn't always sound...it would come on during a game and then go off again or not work at all. The 10's and 100's chimes work every time.
Do these kind of issues sound like the CPU board may still have some problems that need sorting?

Offline Sinbad79

• Forum Posts:
Re: Sinbad startup and 1000 chime.
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 04:13:36 PM »
Possibly

Have you tried re-seating all the connectors on the boards? - if you havent re-pinned the connectors there could be an issue here as well.
I'd look there first.

Offline Klondike

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 07:38:52 PM »
Possibly

Have you tried re-seating all the connectors on the boards? - if you havent re-pinned the connectors there could be an issue here as well.
I'd look there first.

I haven't repinned all of them yet... only the ones that connect the power supply and the display ones on the right of the CPU. The fact that it worked great at first made me think it was the board...it's frustrating as I can't get it to startup at all now.

Offline ralph67

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Stoneville
    • ralph1967@optusnet.com.au
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 10:34:54 PM »
Just a thought But check power supply fuse  In lower cabinet i think
. remove and test it .if no luck reseat power supply connectors , just fixed a gott spiderman . was showing odd digits and not booting , power supply fuse was rs ..
One-Ball!

Offline Klondike

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 02:57:18 PM »
Just a thought But check power supply fuse  In lower cabinet i think
. remove and test it .if no luck reseat power supply connectors , just fixed a gott spiderman . was showing odd digits and not booting , power supply fuse was rs ..
Fuses are all good and I reseated those connectors...still won't turn on. I'm heading back to technicians tomorrow to check board again.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 10:01:05 PM »
Sounds like the connectors to me. Check to see if they are bent or have corrosion on them.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Klondike

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2014, 11:09:48 PM »
Sounds like the connectors to me. Check to see if they are bent or have corrosion on them.
Oh no, please, not the connectors! Oh well, better get my crimping tool ready...

Offline Klondike

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2014, 08:38:09 PM »
The techy had the same thing happen with it not turning on but then it was okay. He thinks one of the 'switching spider chips' might be playing up. Hopefully it will hang in there a bit longer so I don't have to buy a replacement board. I'm replacing the diodes  on the cabinet base and I'm in the process of repinning so I'll let you know how it progresses. ^^^

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2014, 09:31:26 AM »
The techy had the same thing happen with it not turning on but then it was okay. He thinks one of the 'switching spider chips' might be playing up. Hopefully it will hang in there a bit longer so I don't have to buy a replacement board. I'm replacing the diodes  on the cabinet base and I'm in the process of repinning so I'll let you know how it progresses. ^^^

If it is a spider chip, you will have to find a replacement board (easy). The 5 second delay as the game boots is normal. The GI relay switches on and off and then the displays light up.

Offline Klondike

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2014, 10:44:32 PM »

If it is a spider chip, you will have to find a replacement board (easy). The 5 second delay as the game boots is normal. The GI relay switches on and off and then the displays light up.
The board's got a bit of life left in it yet. Once it does start up, I leave it on and you can play it all day without a problem! Occasionally, the 1000 will chime, but usually not. I changed those diodes in the cabinet but that wasn't it...must be the connectors like you suggested. Thought it might be the coin door as you can add credits with the left coin mech but not the right. Then when it does start up the right coin mech will add credits??

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2014, 11:31:44 PM »

Usually the DIP switches control the coin switches. It does have some strange behaviour if it is only adding credits on the RHS once a game starts.

The board's got a bit of life left in it yet. Once it does start up, I leave it on and you can play it all day without a problem! Occasionally, the 1000 will chime, but usually not. I changed those diodes in the cabinet but that wasn't it...must be the connectors like you suggested. Thought it might be the coin door as you can add credits with the left coin mech but not the right. Then when it does start up the right coin mech will add credits??

Offline Klondike

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2014, 12:25:47 PM »
Two of the three dip switches were replaced on the CPU board recently. I should've explained better; I know when it's not going to start up when the switch under the left coin mech will make the add credit sound and the right one doesn't. If both switches make the credit sound then I know the start button will work...weird. Today it's not working. !@#

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2014, 09:41:27 AM »
Go into the test mode and check that all switches are working - especially when you know the door coin switch will not work. Check any 1000 point switch (I think the DT's are 1000 points each).

Also refit the connector from the door to the cabinet loom.

Offline Klondike

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2014, 12:17:59 PM »
Go into the test mode and check that all switches are working - especially when you know the door coin switch will not work. Check any 1000 point switch (I think the DT's are 1000 points each).

Also refit the connector from the door to the cabinet loom.

I'll check those switches. Do you know which connectors might be involved in the intermittent start-up in the backbox so I can start repinning there. I've repinned A1J2, A3J4, A2J1 & A2J3 so far.

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2014, 05:23:15 PM »
A1J1 on the MPU (from power supply) can cause intermittent booting problems like you describe.. i have the same issue with my Buck Rogers where it sometimes wont boot up until i reseat the A1J1 connector, (one of these days i'll actually get around to repinning it)  :D try repinning that connector.

Personally i would be doing ALL of the connectors and be done with it.. it really is the only way to ensure reliable operation and will most likely eliminate the problems you're having. Also make sure the connector contacts on the boards are clean if they havent already been cleaned.