Author Topic: 1976 Gottlieb Volley Rebuild Complete  (Read 11569 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: 1976 Gottlieb Volley Rebuild Complete
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2011, 01:57:54 PM »

Matt - that is simply outstanding. I remember seeing just the base coat and splatter and I was blown away. Surely the best resto I've seen in a long time. You Dad will be very pleased with the game. Well done mate !

I really hope you do more machines to this standard  ^^^
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2011, 03:43:14 PM »
Thanks heaps guys!  *%*

Matt, you should print out your post or make up another log of the resto and give that to your Dad as well so he can understand the effort that you have gone to with this.  I reckon it would bring a tear to his eye.

I think I will do that, it is a bit hard to explain what was done just by looking at photos

I can't wait to see it in the flesh on Monday.

Hopefully it is all working for you too see, I still haven't turned it back on.  Going to set it up for freeplay this arvo then check everything is working again.

I really hope you do more machines to this standard  ^^^

Thanks mate, I didn't really have time to go 'all Nino' on it  *)* , but maybe one day I'll rebuild all the mechs and polish them up as well  *%*

Offline ktm450

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2011, 10:25:43 AM »
Powered up last night, had a couple of drop target switches stuck on continuously advancing the 100s reel, found that fairly easily. 
Then none of the 10 point switches were working, but when manually activated the 10 point relay switches turned the reel and sounded the chime, after a bit of mucking around it ended up being only a loose plug, I had removed one above it in the back box to clean the pins which had pulled out the smaller one, it was sitting in the correct place but not pushed home  @.@

Here are a few shots from last night after I powered it up and had a few games  *%*

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2011, 07:26:02 PM »
Well I just got home from putting about a dozen games on this work of art! ^%^

This game is simply beautiful, Matt has done a sensation job in turning this thing into just about museum quality. Glad to see that paint worked so well, looking forward to letting my brother know about that too.

And does it play well!! Matt has it set at 4 degrees, maybe a half a degree or so over what Gottlieb said back in the day, and it works very well indeed. Ball speed (while a long way off a DMD of course) is reasonable, pretty close to the early solid state games. The shots are all working very nicely. In keeping with the theme, back-handing the left and right target banks is particularly satisfying.

Managed to double clock it before getting too excited and setting off the way too delicate tilt on my last ball. I'd still be there mesmerized by this game if Matt hadn't needed to shoo me off so he could get to work.

Wonderful game, restored like few others, a credit to Matt's dedication to this wonderful gift for his dad.  #*#
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline ktm450

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2011, 02:14:45 PM »
Thanks Nick for the kind words, glad you go a chance to check it out before it leaves my hands, can't believe you got over 200000, at least now I have a high score to aim for  :lol

Looking forward to giving it to Dad Thursday can't wait to see his reaction  *%*

Offline ktm450

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2011, 06:08:15 PM »
How many balls do you EM guys usually set your games to, this one was set to 5 balls but I almost triple clocked (sorry Nick, I pushed your initials out from the high scores  :lol )

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2011, 06:11:04 PM »
How many balls do you EM guys usually set your games to, this one was set to 5 balls but I almost triple clocked (sorry Nick, I pushed your initials out from the high scores  :lol )

#*#
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline punter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • illawarra
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2011, 06:24:07 PM »
Your dad is going to freak when he sees this,it looks great.I have mine set on 5 ball play,my highest score is just under 300k,but many times it is bugger all. @@*.

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2011, 06:25:01 PM »

Depends on the EM... in all honesty some 70's EM Gottliebs are ball drainers straight down the guts between the flippers ( centre spinners or drops are a bad design)... these are set on 5 balls.
From recollection GTB TOP SCORE is the only game ive ever owned where i shot all 5 balls and didnt get to touch one of them with a flipper!

Sounds like VOLLEY is  a great game ... ive never yet played one, but with scores like that on 5 balls id be dropping it to 3

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2011, 08:06:58 PM »

EMs were operated with 5 Balls per game. I never saw a 3 ball on location.

10 cents for 5 balls - What is it nowadays - $2 for 3 balls ?
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline big dog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Grafton
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2011, 08:44:53 PM »
The comps in the U S ,hilton/vegas are set on 3 ball for Volley,they get 250,000 around about..now thats much harder on 3 balls per game.At least on 5 balls you get to beat the game,I have mine set on 5 balls but only 235,000 is my best.

Offline ktm450

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2011, 01:35:28 PM »
Thanks for the info guys, I'll see how well Dad plays after all these years to work it out, its nice if he can at least drop all targets in one game

Offline Pintoxicated

• Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2011, 02:20:17 PM »
See if you can get a pic of your Dad's face when he first lays on the machine, I'd love to see his face.
Addicted to pins.

Offline ktm450

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2011, 10:50:07 AM »
See if you can get a pic of your Dad's face when he first lays on the machine, I'd love to see his face.

I'll try my best  *%*
I have just taken it over there and started to set up on legs, I'll get back over there soon and make sure everything is working ok and get some pics.
Luckly Dad is at work today so we can set up and surprise him when he gets home.
My brother and sister-in-law are flying in from Gold Coast today for a surprise visit, then we will take him out for dinner and have organised a surprise family get together.
Should be a big night  **)

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2011, 10:55:38 AM »
Geez, that's a lot of surprises - his heart i good I hope?  :D