Author Topic: North Qld Tropical Winter Pinball Carnival 9th and 10th June (Townsville)  (Read 4017 times)

Offline robm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
Just finished an awesome weekend of Pinball up here, would love to see some AP members attend these events in future. A full run down i emailed to all who attended is below for those who might know some of the people who attended.

Well, what an absolutely awesome few days of pinball, mateship and competition
Final Results  of the 4 comps are as follows:

Flip Frenzy
1 Rob Milla
2 Paul Bateman
3 Jason Lynch
4 Roland Kaegi

Single Ball of Death
1 Alex McClarty
2 Jasen Mouritsen
3 Keith Chambers
4 Rob Milla

Townsville Open
1 Rob Milla
2 Keith Chambers
3 Alex McClarty
4 Dave Porter

West End Wizards
1 Jasen Mouritsen
2 Grant Stephens
3 Tony Hauser
4 Rob Milla

A few of my thoughts on some of the comps:

Flip Frenzy – was a little hectic at the start as there were a lot of first timers, but sorted itself out quickly and everyone had a blast, a great social way to start the weekend. Special thanks to Amy for entering scores and mastering the spreadsheet so quickly.

Single Ball of Death – a comp where you plunge the 1st 2 balls (nudging allowed, but no flippers) and play the 3rd – was really fun in the finals, with lots of heckling and much more random in nature than a standard comp.

Townsville Open – definitely the highest level of competitors we have had at my place, with some long games with great intensity.  Special mention of Emily Cosson who made the top 8 (also for West End Wizards) at such a young age, and gave plenty of us a touch up – she totally controlled monster bash, and also has a great skillset on some of the SS games.  The 3 way playoff for the last 2 spots in the top 8 for this comp was also great watching.  Also special mention to Dave Porter who in the final got a ball stuck between the double flippers on Sinbad AND got it back in play!!!

West End Wizards – Jasen convincingly won this comp and deservedly so, with the next 3 in the finals all getting the same number of points – was a 3 way playoff for 2nd, 3rd and 4th on TZ which Grant won well. Special mention to Tony Hauser for his first ever comp and coming 3rd, hope to see more of him and the other Mackay boys at future events.

In terms of the event of all, I would really like to thank everyone who attended, particularly those who flew in – it was great at Alex’s final have 1 from each area represented (Townsville, Mackay, Sth Qld and Adelaide).  I appreciate it takes time and effort to travel here, so was stoked everyone enjoyed themselves.  My machines held up OK, with a switch needing adjustment on Shadow and a couple of gears stripped on MonsterBash.  The best thing about these events in not the games, points, prizemoney or machines, it’s the people. It was so awesome to catch up with those who I’ve met at previous events across the country, and also to get a few more locals along, and meet some of those who compete more often – it only strengthens the pinball scene up here.  We about 40 different people compete across all the events.

A HUGE thanks to my wife Melinda for putting up with all of us, and just as big a thanks to the guys who attended and how they conducted themselves at our home.  We have 4 young kids running around (plus a dog that made the semi regular run into the games room during the comp!) and people were very respectful towards them.  When I caught up with Melinda this morning, she said that she really enjoyed this comp (and really meant it) as everyone was super friendly, and she especially appreciated the effort that people made to have a chat with her.  Thanks also to those who had our 6 year old in their groups at the comp, and looked after him.  Also, thanks to my Mum and Dad who helped out with some of the catering.  Melinda’s cooking didn’t disappoint with some fresh pumpkin and sultana cake and choc chip muffins all polished off in a hurry!

To those who couldn’t make it, hopefully we will see you next year as we plan to make it an annual event – feedback from those who travelled was that it is a good format with a Friday evening/all day Sat and Sat night event at locations as it gives people opportunity to have a Friday off (easier than Monday) and travel back on Sun. That works well for Alex and I, plus with having the 2 venues, I will struggle to do late night events at my place with the kids. So having the nights at Alex’s place and day here is great.

Thanks again all and see you next year!