Author Topic: Can you speak another language ? Considering learning German and French plus !  (Read 8800 times)

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
Can anyone here speak another language other than English ofcourse ?

I am seriously considering learning German and French.
If I can get by enough to speak the basics to get by, I was then going to consider Chineese ?

At 45 years of age in May, is it too late to learn and have a go ?

Has anyone ever had a try as an adult at seriously learning another language to get fluent or half fluent. Lol ?

Any ideas or comments for me ?

Thanks in advance.  ^^^

Just for the record there are two main versions of spoken Chinese. Interestingly, written Chinese is the same for all dialects and no matter what the local twist in the spoken may be. Same for Singapore, China, Taiwan and all Chinese speaking countries, the written is always the same.

Spoken Chinese is mainly in two forms, Mandarin and Cantonese. Mandarin can be used worldwide (and China wide). Cantonese (named after the city of Canton which is now called Guangzhou) is the primary spoken Chinese for Hong Kong and the Guangdong province (southern area near Hong Kong).

If you did consider learning a Chinese language the only one to opt for (IMO) would be Mandarin (known in Chinese as Putonghua).

From Wikipedia:

Standard Chinese, also known as Mandarin, Putonghua and Guoyu, is a standard
language that is the sole official language of both China and Taiwan, and also one
of the four official languages of Singapore.
Standard Chinese - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_Chinese

Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals