Author Topic: Gottlieb System 1 help "Cleopatra"  (Read 1629 times)

Offline Brettski

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast, Queensland
  • Since I Was A Young Boy I Played The Silver Ball!
    • Strikes and Spares Restoration
Gottlieb System 1 help "Cleopatra"
« on: July 01, 2015, 04:55:36 PM »
Hi all,

I am about to start a restoration on a Gottlieb Cleopatra which is in a bad way but plenty of potential.
It runs and plays but has some glitches I want to iron out before I start the rest of the work.

Here is the run down on whats going on...

Machine boots up fine and displays zeros in all four scores displays but changes to radical
digits instead of a HSTD, the credit and ball count displays show radical digits also.
To start the game you just press the credit button on the door and the game begins and plays fine
and scores ok. Ball count displays correctly but nothing on the credit display.

As I understand it this display issue could be related to the high score memory power as it is behaving as it would with flat or no batteries (It has a battery mod on MPU)
I have checked the batteries and replaced them with new ones and tested the points on the board where the wires connect for voltage and it is testing as 4.5v.

Now the factory settings button inside the coin door does not seem to work, I have also jumped the connectors to the switch but still no activity so no way of going into system settings to make adjustments or reset.

I have spotted what looks like corrosion damage on the power rectifier on the top pin of A2-J3, see pictures below...

The game plays by pressing the credit button on the front door but I am unable to see any free play mods to this whatsoever and unable to workout how they have wired this to work this way.

What is also interesting is I thought Cleopatra had chimes but this machine has a speaker and a A7-J1 connector hanging loose but no sound device (board or chimes), anyone aware of this as it looks like factory fittings not mods.

Oh and one last thing, sometimes it starts to hum from the transformer and gradually gets louder then all playfield lights etc go out but backbox stays lit. Turn it off and wait a min and turn on all is good for a while!

So is anyone up for the challenge of advising me where to start and what I might do to sort out these glitches.

Help is very much appreciated..

Cheers: Brettski...

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
Re: Gottlieb System 1 help "Cleopatra"
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 05:13:23 PM »
First thing you need to do is clean the board contacts and re-pin the connectors
Then you should do all the ground mods
Once you've done that you can start to work out any other problems

Offline The pinballist formally known as Dean Morgan

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Berwick Vic
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 08:50:35 PM »
The display digits are most likely related to memory as you state. Faulty 5101 ram. You maybe able to clear the ram once you get the test switch to work on the coin door.  You scroll through bathe tests and for the high score press the reset button on the processor board.  Failing that replace the RAM

The test switch most likely not working due to connector issues. The smaller connector at the bottom of the processor is from the coin door.A1j6  Never plug or unplug these with the game on as it will stuff your board
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 09:42:17 PM by The pinballist formally known as Dean Morgan »
Im a Gottlieb Man - System 1 & 80 Rock

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 09:36:14 PM »
First thing you need to do is clean the board contacts and re-pin the connectors
Then you should do all the ground mods
Once you've done that you can start to work out any other problems

100% agree.

Until connectors are re pinned you will be chasing ghosts. I have restored a few system 1 and 80 games and in most cases the majority of problems resolve after re pinning and then a lot of what's left with ground upgrades.

Having said that, the best way to fix these games is to re pin and stick in a Pascal all in 1 board for modern type reliability.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Crashramp

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 10:07:49 PM »

Having said that, the best way to fix these games is to re pin and stick in a Pascal all in 1 board for modern type reliability.

This ^

Offline Brettski

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast, Queensland
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2015, 10:12:45 PM »
Thank you, great advice from each..

Ok I will re pin the connectors and do the ground mods, I know it's not a fun job but necessary.

I will probably replace with a new board later in the project but while there is life here I will see what I can do,
if it turns out it's faulty I will get one sooner but I will follow the advice above first regarding connectors and ground mods first..

Is there anyone locally that has the removal tool for the Gottlieb connectors or do I have to get it from the USA

Thanks again..

Cheers: Brettski... :)

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2015, 10:14:57 PM »
I think its easy just to grin one from a hacksaw blade isn't it?

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2015, 11:43:58 PM »

Looking at the photos and if the game is a keeper ;

Repin all the connectors
Mandatory ground mods
Replace Power Supply - Existing looks hacked
Replace CPU board - corrosion looks to be repaired - but some corrosion is not visible to the naked eye.
check all the coils, make sure they measure correctly

Cleopatra is a VERY good game - underrated - but get it working 100% to fully appreciate  *%*
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Brettski

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast, Queensland
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2015, 01:04:16 AM »
Thanks Nino,
I have conceded and decided it's best to replace the boards and re pin the connectors as suggested.

Where is the best place for me to get a Pascal All in one and a power board from a well as the connectors as one is missing completely.

The machine is a basket case and the cabnet is a mess with no bottom in it and water damage, the backglass looks alright until you turn it on and there is flake everywhere but it is so evenly done it looks like part of it if you don't know what your looking at ;) itwill suffice until I find a really good one.
The playfield is great, it is completely covered in mylar and has yellowed but from experience with my strikes and spares this might end up being a savior as there is no wear on the playfield whatsoever. If I am successful with removing the mylar and it is as good as I anticipate then this baby will be worth a restore, in fact the whole underside of the playfield is very good too so I am going to see what I can do with the mylar tomorrow. If the mylar removal is not successful then I am considering doing a re theme but I will go into that if I go that way..

Thanks again

Cheers: Brettski...

Offline ralph67

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Stoneville
    • ralph1967@optusnet.com.au
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2015, 05:20:21 AM »
With the crazy display issues ,
Try going through the audits and reset them all , using the front door button , and the rest button on cpu , reset all back to zero , then reset  replay scores , set them to whatever you want , And put in a new high score to date , This might clear  up  all the random crazy display issues. I had a similar thing happen with a sys 1 and this solved that problem ... good luck ...
One-Ball!

Offline ralph67

• Forum Posts:
  • Stoneville
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2015, 07:10:53 AM »
Try going through the audits and reset them all , using the button on the inside of door, and the credit button to reset , reset all back to zero , then reset  replay scores , set them to whatever you want , And put in a new high score to date , This might clear  up  all the random crazy display issues. I had a similar thing happen with a sys 1 and this solved that problem ... good luck ...
One-Ball!

Offline ralph67

• Forum Posts:
  • Stoneville
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2015, 07:18:07 AM »
Try going through the audits and reset them all , using the front door button , and the rest button on cpu , reset all back to zero , then reset  replay scores , set them to whatever you want , And put in a new high score to date , This might clear  up  all the random crazy display issues. I had a similar thing happen with a sys 1 and this solved that problem ... good luck ...
see below i got mixed up with the Bally/Stern way of re-setting audits !@)
One-Ball!

Offline Crashramp

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2015, 08:49:43 AM »
Boards are here. For System one machines these are the best IMHO

http://www.flippp.fr/index.php?lg=en

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2015, 08:54:54 AM »
Boards are here. For System one machines these are the best IMHO

http://www.flippp.fr/index.php?lg=en

The PI-1/X4 covers **ALL** of the boards - power, driver, CPU (and sound if a sound game but yours in not). Just one board for the lot.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2015, 10:26:44 AM »
Connectors ;

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/index.php?cPath=22_88_196_197&osCsid=d0b52c91bfc0398db3f4e993ebb41e80

as indicated - buy the "all in one" Pascal board. They are awesome !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia