Author Topic: Gottlieb System 1 Power Supply Hack Query  (Read 1584 times)

Offline Slash

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
Gottlieb System 1 Power Supply Hack Query
« on: July 03, 2015, 07:30:27 PM »
I was attempting to finish off re-pinning the rest of the connectors on my Gottlieb System 1 and thought it was time to address a hack that was already there.  My knowledge in this area is very low so please excuse me if the answer is obvious.  The pics show the hack.

From what I can tell they have hacked the wires leading to the power supply board A2-J1 and J3.  I'm guessing because there was some problem with the board.

Given that I will be using a Pascal all in one board can I just cut these extra wires off and tidy it up as it won't be necessary with the new Pascal board?

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
Re: Gottlieb System 1 Power Supply Hack Query
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2015, 09:25:21 PM »
Looks like they kept their options open leaving the original connector there after they added the bypass connectors.
I assume they removed the pins from the board and soldered leads with connectors to the board?

If you have enough wire length then probably neater to cut it where its spliced and re-pin the original connector.

Offline Slash

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2015, 09:44:45 PM »
Yeah it looks like that's what they did.  Here is the old power supply board.

Here is a pic of some other quality board work that had been done.  You can see now why I just bought a Pascal board.

Offline Boots

• Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2015, 10:03:38 PM »
I've mentioned it before, I think people jump to quickly into buying a Paschal
Saying that I have one and they are great, but I only bought it because the machine didn't come with boards.

As long as you re-pin the connectors and do the ground mods, there is not reason why the original boards won't perform perfectly.

My advice, save your money and spend it on another project or and improvement you can see on the machine.

Offline Slash

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2015, 10:27:15 PM »
All the boards in this game looked pretty munted to me, so given my very limited abilities diagnosing and fixing problems of this nature there was no way I was going to attempt to fix these.

I agree though the pascal board is bloody expensive.  But I was willing to pay for the convenience and to save me the headaches.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2015, 11:09:21 PM »
Even if you got those going, you are always going to remain at the mercy of the CPU and the unavailable spider chip. If that goes, no CPU and back to needing a replacement. I have used Pascal's board many times, and the reliability they add (if pins redone) is sensational, not to mention the additional feature you can add, like skill shots, ball save timer etc. I think you made a wise choice.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Boots

• Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2015, 12:56:08 AM »
Whoever worked on those boards before sure liked fly-leads %.%

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2015, 10:08:39 AM »
Whoever worked on those boards before sure liked fly-leads %.%

And loved BIG heatsinks  $$( JEEEZUSSS!!

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2015, 11:27:32 AM »
Those boards look OK to me. The spider chips on the CPU are pretty hardy and thousands of them are still going nearly 40 years after they were made... pretty incredible really given the design failures we know GTB sys1 to have.

Ive got a couple of sys1 boards here with blown spider chips and its normally pretty obvious as they have a burn mark in the centres due to a locked on coil etc... cant see that in your pic so theres a good chance they may well work.

Don't throw tem out.. sell em on here even if for spares as one chip can be removed to replace another etc.
The sound board can be made after a trip to your local Jaycar... ive done exactly this and built a whole new one on proto board before.
Driver has seen a few burnt out transistors and looks uglier than it really is.

I reckon a couple of hours of time and youd have a good chance of getting those boards working again

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2015, 11:34:58 AM »
I agree the boards are salvageable for someone with the expertise and time to repair them. There is a fair about of work repinning a new interconnector as well. For a hobbyist with experience - do it - For a hobbyist that wants to play the game and know that it will be 100% for years to come - replace with a Pascal 4 in 1. The original boards can be onsold.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Boots

• Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2015, 02:53:19 PM »
Those boards look OK to me. The spider chips on the CPU are pretty hardy and thousands of them are still going nearly 40 years after they were made... pretty incredible really given the design failures we know GTB sys1 to have.

Ive got a couple of sys1 boards here with blown spider chips and its normally pretty obvious as they have a burn mark in the centres due to a locked on coil etc... cant see that in your pic so theres a good chance they may well work.

Don't throw tem out.. sell em on here even if for spares as one chip can be removed to replace another etc.
The sound board can be made after a trip to your local Jaycar... ive done exactly this and built a whole new one on proto board before.
Driver has seen a few burnt out transistors and looks uglier than it really is.

I reckon a couple of hours of time and youd have a good chance of getting those boards working again

@@*

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2015, 06:17:37 PM »
Even if you got those going, you are always going to remain at the mercy of the CPU and the unavailable spider chip. If that goes, no CPU and back to needing a replacement. I have used Pascal's board many times, and the reliability they add (if pins redone) is sensational, not to mention the additional feature you can add, like skill shots, ball save timer etc. I think you made a wise choice.

+1

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2015, 06:56:34 PM »

+1

You could always protect the CPU with a diode at each of the inputs... this is why the spider chips blow, they are not diode protected for current backwash. CPU would be just as solid as the Pascal then

Offline Slash

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2015, 09:29:06 PM »
If anyone here wants the boards they are welcome to them. Just pay postage and they're yours.

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2015, 10:09:24 PM »
If anyone here wants the boards they are welcome to them. Just pay postage and they're yours.
would love them but I'm not the right home for these. Great offer mate
Still loving my Metallica Premium