Author Topic: CFTBL holograms  (Read 1594 times)

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
CFTBL holograms
« on: July 04, 2010, 11:17:06 PM »
Looks like there's very few issues out there at the moment as tech questions seem to have slowed down. Anyway, I don't own a CFTBL, but wondered if the hologram actually has a kind of shelf life. Lots of people were concerned with Pin2000's hardware availability issues, I figured what if the hologram goes, a major gimmick of this game is lost.

So do people run the risk when buying a CFTBL? I know that repro's have been available but also heard some horror stories there of storing the item. Also is the globe anything special that drives the effect?
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
Re: CFTBL holograms
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 11:55:07 PM »
it's a pity this wasn't asked a few weeks ago as i had access to one but the person has sold it.
I would have been able to answer the question about the lamp if not more.
sorry.
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline tonyt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 01:53:37 AM »
This is such a fantastic game in my opinion that I was not going to let the fact that the hologram may eventually go in going against my decision to own one. When researching about this, I found the following useful in explaining the workings of the hologram.

http://www.thepaisleys.com/PaisleyPinball/Fixes/hologram_not_working.htm

Pinbits have a lamp upgrade kit that I have purchased but have not yet installed in my machine.

http://pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13_6&products_id=7

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 01:56:45 AM »
Most of the original Holograms have now died

The reproductions had an even shorter life

the hologram is just a gimick, the game is still a great game to play

Offline Wotto

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 08:14:33 AM »
Most of the original Holograms have now died

Not all of them my friend - some are still green and rockin  *)*
DW Drums rule !

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 08:59:57 AM »
I played a CFTBL fews ago that had a dead holo. What a great game it is even with the dead holo. I am sure a backlit toy could be knocked-up to replace it.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2010, 10:05:57 AM »

It is rare to find a green Holo. Most I've seen have had a tinge of green, but are predominantly blue. They don't affect gameplay, or detract from the overall "experience" of CFTBL. The replacement Holograms seemed to have issues for some reason - which is a shame. CFTBL is such a great player, and finding a Green Holo is a bonus !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2010, 11:35:46 AM »
My one has a green to blue Hologram but the other one has just a black with a slight color tingedown the bottom so im assuming its either missing or stuffed had a friend tell me they printed out a picture of the creature and stuck it in place wit great effect

Offline Pinprick

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2010, 12:59:56 PM »
I played a CFTBL fews ago that had a dead holo. What a great game it is even with the dead holo. I am sure a backlit toy could be knocked-up to replace it.

You have read my mind - My CFTBL has a blue/green (turquoise?) hologram like so many.
When it gets past it, I was thinking of putting a toy/mannequin on the oscillating mirror plate (sans mirror), probably with a green filter over the halogen lamp kit already installed. Maybe also one or two appropriately angled 12v green LEDs if needed. Backlighting is an idea that hadn't occurred to me, so when the time comes I'll have a play with that too! Maybe using a clear backlit acrylic plate inplace of the mirror plate?
Bugger shelling out big $$ for an ephemeral product says me.  *%*
"I don't operate on a level playing field"

Offline ktm450

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2010, 03:23:20 PM »
I'm sure you could hook up a toy to the mirror motor, and assemble it inside a box under the PF so it is black until the light come on, maybe change the standard light to some gree LEDs as others have pointed out. Cant be too hard, the hardest part would be finding the suitable toy

Offline necroscope

• Forum Posts:
  • Romsey Vic
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2010, 03:37:31 PM »

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2010, 04:42:44 PM »
I am sure a backlit toy could be knocked-up to replace it.

Anyone thinking about this could have a look at Monster Bash which has just such an item in the left ball saucer (as a tribute to CFTBL).
http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=4441&picno=9814&zoom=1
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Creech

• Forum Founder
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2010, 04:44:53 PM »
I may be totally off beam here but if your hologram is blue then what colour would you need to add to make it green again? Yellow? What if you were to put a yellow tint over the top of the existing light bulb? Would that make things green again?

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2010, 05:17:53 PM »
As the light from the hologram is blue, a yellow filter will prevent the blue from passing, and the hologram will just be very dark or black I'm guessing.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Replicas

• Forum Posts:
  • North West England
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2010, 10:00:48 AM »
My own Creach has a totally dead holo. One thing I was looking into was to get a digital photo frame or even a small LCD screen with a small movie clip on, thus once the holo was activated a short film clip would be shown.
This idea is still in the very early stages and power issues and all that goes with the workings are still giving me a headache. It might be a little out of my league but I am more than willing to have a bash at getting this working.

Don't suppose there's anyone here that might have a second hand holo that they may have upgraded for a IPB repo? Blue would be fine as mine is totally shot.In fact anything that shows a Creature no matter what colour would be better than nothing, which is what I have at the moment.
Cheers.