Author Topic: CFTBL holograms  (Read 1596 times)

Offline Wotto

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
Re: CFTBL holograms
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2010, 12:35:07 PM »
My own Creach has a totally dead holo. One thing I was looking into was to get a digital photo frame or even a small LCD screen with a small movie clip on, thus once the holo was activated a short film clip would be shown.
This idea is still in the very early stages and power issues and all that goes with the workings are still giving me a headache. It might be a little out of my league but I am more than willing to have a bash at getting this working.

If this idea was ever made available , then I reckon you could do LOADS more with it than just replicate the original hologram on the screen, imagine movie clips , images etc - anything is possible IF you could get the LCD screen to come on at the correct times.

Maybe replicate the original holgram when it normally 'flashes' ( when getting the F I L M letter s) and run a short movie on the screen at other times ( when in 2 ball mode etc )

Just some thoughts.
DW Drums rule !

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2010, 02:41:39 PM »
replace the halogen globe to fire a remote, which activates "play" on the LCD photo frame?

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2010, 03:55:50 PM »
In fact anything that shows a Creature no matter what colour would be better than nothing, which is what I have at the moment.
Cheers.
How about a photo of my wife  %.% Now that'll get me in trouble if she sees this  &^&
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2010, 03:58:03 PM »
So I gather holograms have a life span. I thought these things went forever, can someone shed light on the process of making one that'll  explain why the fade/die?
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline Pinballer

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2010, 04:45:50 PM »
Maybe I'm missing something here, but how would an LCD photo frame be projected up to the playfield window? 

I can see how any screen of some sort could be seen through the playfield plastic window.  However projecting the image is a totally different thing.  The original works by a bright lamp shining light onto a mirror, the light is then reflected up to the hologram.

Is the idea to mount the LCD screen/photo frame directly under the Creature feature playfield window?

Offline Wotto

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2010, 04:50:12 PM »
Extra Ball = possibly very clever  @@*

Pinball God = very funny re the wife comment AND her reaction if she saw this ( if only they knew  :lol )

Pinballer - if it was me , I would be whacking an LCD screen directly under the window - I am unsure how other components of the game may restrict this but I have a feeling they would  - will have to look under the bonnet tonight  *!@
DW Drums rule !

Offline Replicas

• Forum Posts:
  • North West England
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2010, 08:11:23 AM »
So I gather holograms have a life span. I thought these things went forever, can someone shed light on the process of making one that'll  explain why the fade/die?
After speaking in depth to designer John Trudeau about the holo issue at the U.K. Pin Show a couple of years ago, The working life of the holo was expected to be around a couple of years which was quoted by the maker's. And any longer would be a bonus. So any one who still has a original holo and its still green think yourself very lucky, Anyone who has a original holo that's turned blue just think yourself  lucky. And anyone who has a totally non working one "me" tough!

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2010, 09:26:58 AM »
After speaking in depth to designer John Trudeau about the holo issue at the U.K. Pin Show a couple of years ago, The working life of the holo was expected to be around a couple of years which was quoted by the maker's. And any longer would be a bonus. So any one who still has a original holo and its still green think yourself very lucky, Anyone who has a original holo that's turned blue just think yourself  lucky. And anyone who has a totally non working one "me" tough!

This is a fact that often escapes us as collectors and hobbyists. Components of machines had "shelf lives" and CFTBL has a component that was not tested or designed to last 15 years !

Whoever designs a cheap replacement will be doing a great service to CFTBL owners !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2010, 09:37:02 AM »

very very simple to organise a 'cheap replacement' - the obvious problem lives in Melbourne...... ^&^

This is a fact that often escapes us as collectors and hobbyists. Components of machines had "shelf lives" and CFTBL has a component that was not tested or designed to last 15 years !

Whoever designs a cheap replacement will be doing a great service to CFTBL owners !

Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2010, 07:07:03 PM »

very very simple to organise a 'cheap replacement' - the obvious problem lives in Melbourne...... ^&^

cant see why you cant change the art a little Mike, and PRC them-up for the guys  !@#

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2010, 07:09:42 PM »

Maybe Gene would licence them, I doubt he'd want to try again after the failure of the repros last time, and that avoids having to deal with anyone distasteful to you.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2010, 09:52:30 PM »

its your machine, you can make what u want for it.

Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2010, 10:41:34 PM »

its your machine, you can make what u want for it.

Of course you can - but I can't make one and sell it to you and the way in which the originals were made basically requires mass production to get the price down to a sensible figure.

Unless the repros were the same as original I doubt many would buy them - there we are - back in Melb again....................…....
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline johnwartjr

• Forum Posts:
  • Columbus, Indiana USA
  • It's ALIVEEEEEE!
    • My Home Gameroom . com
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2010, 05:41:05 AM »
Mine is blue. I'm grateful it's still blue. My other one is green.

Offline tonyt

• Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide