Author Topic: LEDs in Fish Tales to Tease Wotto!  (Read 1776 times)

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
LEDs in Fish Tales to Tease Wotto!
« on: August 25, 2009, 02:03:37 PM »
Just put some LEDs in my FT, supplied by RTBB. I did about 28 or so, and may do the rest at some stage. I used Greg's new wide angle LEDs in the large fish. Hard to tell in photos, but it does look really good.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 10:51:52 AM by Extra Ball »

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Re: LEDs in Fish Tales
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 02:08:26 PM »
Nice work!  Love those RTBB LEDs!.   Very nice looking FT now!

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 03:16:46 PM »
Just doing some research on the benefits of LEDs, I know they give out hardly any heat (great for pins), use way less power (great for pins), but didnt know how much less power.

LEDs are highly efficient. In traffic signal lights, a strong market for LEDs, a red traffic signal head that contains 196 LEDs draws 10W versus its incandescent counterpart that draws 150W. Various estimates of potential energy savings range from 82% to 93%.

So it seems LEDs are the way to go, and said to last 55000 hours or more (you wont need to place them then lol).

Offline Rod71

• Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra NSW
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 04:04:31 PM »
wouldn't worry to much about the power savings, as it would take 200 years to pay for themselves.  %.%

They look cool and last pretty much forever, so they are worth it just for that  ^^^

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 04:53:27 PM »
wouldn't worry to much about the power savings, as it would take 200 years to pay for themselves.  %.%

They look cool and last pretty much forever, so they are worth it just for that  ^^^

was thinking about the strain on the power supply gear in the pin, saving the $$$ in power-bill doesnt worry me yet   *.*

Offline MrMaloo

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Cessnock NSW
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 05:56:51 PM »
Looks nice Greg . LED's are the way to go in any DMD pin I think . They really enhance the colours of the inserts and make the PF look heaps better . I'll have to have a look at your FT on Saturday .

Offline Wotto

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 06:14:44 PM »
Arrrrr - that looks friggin SWEEEEEEEEEEEET

Can U list what colours you used in what locations ( that arent obvious in the shots ) - please  *%*
I have a pending order with Greg and may change a bit to get FT like this.
DW Drums rule !

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2009, 06:59:11 PM »
Arrrrr - that looks friggin SWEEEEEEEEEEEET

Can U list what colours you used in what locations ( that arent obvious in the shots ) - please  *%*
I have a pending order with Greg and may change a bit to get FT like this.

Same as the inserts for the most part Wotto. Purple for the fast fish (unsure wether wide-angle suits them better), yellow for the L I E (didnt do the ones behind the back plastic though), yellow for 2X 3X 4X. The big 4 fish is wide-angles green, blue, orange, green. The boat I went yellow for the first insert, then just match the colors ie orange, blue, red. Just match the insert colors, and when its a big insert consider wide-angle. Left and right green arrow insert on boat I did wide-angle. I found you need to bend the #44 lamp socket legs to get the lighting right (I am still stuffing around with that actually). The 555 bulbs need to tweeked to get them to work, its just a matter of bending the end of the wires on the globe to the edge of its base. I didnt know this was a common issue, and after reporting it to Greg he said all brands of #555 LEDs are like that. I didnt do the little fish, and didnt do the green three part fish either side of the PF (to keep cost down). I didnt do the tackle-box inserts, or the auto-cast (wish I did though). I need 4 extra normal angle 555's, on reflection I shouldave done them. I didnt do pop-bumpers, or any general lighting (but will later). I did the extra-ball insert (orange), but it didnt make much difference really. I did the specials in red, but left the light long cast alone (and am happy with that).

This was my order, but if I did it all over again would substitute a couple of wides for normal or vice-versa:
2 x 555 GREEN 170 Degree Wide Angle
>>>>> 2 x 555 Blue 170 Degree Wide Angle
>>>>> 1 x Ablaze 3-LED #44/47 -Green Bayonet Base
>>>>> 7 x Ablaze 3-LED #555 -Yellow- Wedge Base
>>>>> 3 x Ablaze 3-LED #555 -Green- Wedge Base
>>>>> 2 x #44 - Green 170 Degree Wide Angle
>>>>> 3 x Cliffy's Blue Sleeve
>>>>> 2 x Cliffy's Yellow Sleeve
>>>>> 1 x Ablaze 3-LED #44/47 -Red- Bayonet Base
>>>>> 2 x Ablaze 3-LED #44/47 -Purple- Bayonet Base
>>>>> 2 x Ablaze 3-LED #555 -Purple- Wedge Base
>>>>> 7 x Ablaze 3-LED #555 -Red- Wedge Base
>>>>> 2 x 555 ORANGE 170 Degree Wide Angle
>>>>> 1 x Ablaze 3-LED #44/47 -Orange- Bayonet Base
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 07:08:35 PM by Extra Ball »

Offline Wotto

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2009, 10:26:07 PM »
Thanks for that info Greg - just re-sorting my order with Greg

Cheers

Wotto
DW Drums rule !

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
Re: LEDs in Fish Tales to Tease Wotto!
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2009, 10:53:01 AM »
Nite shots:

« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 11:04:01 AM by Extra Ball »

Offline Wotto

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2009, 11:44:58 AM »
Laugh now my friend but I just ordered some for my FT too  *)* *)* :lol
DW Drums rule !

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2009, 12:28:15 PM »
Just a thought.  I would put a couple in the backbox too, just to highlight some of the artwork.  Eg...orange one in top right corner, purple around top left with thunder clouds, green around the fish and a few blues to help with the water....That would finish it off nicely.

Offline Wotto

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2009, 12:49:28 PM »
Just a thought.  I would put a couple in the backbox too, just to highlight some of the artwork.  Eg...orange one in top right corner, purple around top left with thunder clouds, green around the fish and a few blues to help with the water....That would finish it off nicely.

Yeah - do that would you please Greg - post pics - and if it looks any good I will then copy it  - oh and hurry up would ya  :lol
DW Drums rule !

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2009, 01:39:21 PM »

Yeah - do that would you please Greg - post pics - and if it looks any good I will then copy it  - oh and hurry up would ya  :lol

sure thing mate, isnt it your shout for LEDs?
lol

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2009, 01:49:56 PM »
The more I see that topper with the coloured bulbs, the more impressed I am - a real enhancement.

And next time my globes die I will have to think about LEDs as replacements. They certainly have their advantages.