Author Topic: Sydney Pinball Expo 2009  (Read 14640 times)

Offline big dog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Grafton
Re: Sydney Pinball Expo 2009
« Reply #330 on: May 17, 2009, 11:18:45 PM »
Great Expo,well worth the 1000km + trip there and back,got stuff from all stalls ,played games I never had before,meet great people from every where,GOOD ON THE SOUTH AUSSIES AND VICTORIANS for making that big trip to see the expo..THANKS TO ALL STALL GUYS, PINBALL DEALERS , THANKS TO ANY ONE AND EVERY BODY THAT MADE THAT EXPO HAPPEN !  Hope all that came from far gets home safely. Thanks Coconut crew for your BIG effort to get your game ready and to the expo. If I knew all of you I would thank you, cheers , see you next time $#$

Offline acejas

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast
« Reply #331 on: May 18, 2009, 12:21:47 AM »
Hi Guys

Well I must say I had a bloody ball (scuse the pun:) ) Basically everyone has already said it but I really enjoyed meeting people and just having a few beers. Someone else said it will be great in years to come that they attended the first Aussie pinball expo - absolutely - BUT Ive got one better I was part of the team that one the first Aussie Expo Trivia Night :D. (Thanks Tony!!)

Seriously i took this thing as meeting other pinheads and put names to faces and I got more than wich was awesome.

Kudos to the organisers and fellow pinheads that made it such a great weekend. I didnt meet everyone but theres always next time

Cheers
Jas

Offline Nug

• Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
  • NPC non-factory CEO
    • Coconut Island
« Reply #332 on: May 18, 2009, 07:25:48 AM »
hey, i thoroughly enjoyed myself, always nice to put faces to names.. i picked out the furball pretty quick  <.>

It was great to have an expo at least and as others have suggested its just the first one and you need to crawl before you can walk..all a learning experience for the organisers and ourselves..im sure the feed back will be checked and improvements where possible made for (if !) the next one. My personal thoughts, for being billed an expo i think there should have been a row or two of nice 8-9/10 games on free play so as to allure and not frighten potential new interest .. i saw a couple of jaws drop when they pulled up a playfield for a look what had gone wrong .. they should have had a distinction between project/dead : pinball   -but all good.

A special thankyou to all the folk who played CI and enjoyed it, I enjoyed watching others play and general discussion, couple of shots i hadnt seen before including dans back handed right flipper up RHS backlawn from the naturestrip (yes i will appropriately award a combo score value of your choice dan   *%* had a ball get trapped under the "decellerator" ramp (rhs)  lots of learnings for me and i didnt think you all played too badly (felixthadog, fair dinkum dan - were two best players imo) ... machine survived trip home as they shut the power off and i didnt know if the HD was parked so all good .. also had a couple of youngens give the flippers a thrashing (multi flipper !)    #@#

hi score was 36 mil in the morning sometime(dont know who) and my only audit 297 plays

i have been flat out trying to get it all together and reliable so hopefully a bit more time to hang around forums and talk shop.

a very special thank you to all those involved with the CI banner that was provided this is extremely appreciated   *%*
and also to andrew who helped move the beast around and look after it when we needed some cooling (it was hot in there.. they could have chocked a couple of doors an inch or two for some flow upon reflection!

regards

Christian -

-im still looking at this banner !
oh my mistake.. you are wrong !

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #333 on: May 18, 2009, 09:27:40 AM »
had a ball get trapped under the "decellerator" ramp (rhs) 

that was my effort lol
 #*#

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #334 on: May 18, 2009, 10:18:27 AM »
Here is the Channel 9 (Sydney) story from Saturday night:

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/video.aspx?videoid=0994160b-4a08-4e7b-b927-f12033105e68

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #335 on: May 18, 2009, 10:51:13 AM »
I had a great time at Expo last Saturday .
Met and had a good chat to a few of the AP members  and had a few games on CI (amazing effort from all involved with creating that game) .

Regret I didn't meet more of the forum guys , but between being mesmerised with games I've never seen before, let alone played , and everyone (forum members, at least those in AP shirts) seeming to be always busy chatting to someone, it just didn't happen.
And Tony (Illawarra) .. sorry I didn't get a chance to chat with you more .
As others have said, judging by the huge turnout (by 2PM it was packed, you couldn't even squeeze down the aisles between the games) and the press in the week or 2 leading up to the event , I think it was a huge success.

I also thought it was great to see the inaugral expo held in Sydney , given that most of the pinball action seems to be in Melbourne.
Well done also to all the interstaters who were able to make the trip. I'm sure you found the effort and expense well worth it.

Lastly , as someone else said (Nug I think) , it was a shame that there wasn't more airflow .. it got really stuffy in there by about 1.30pm .. I ended up leaving about 2 cause it was just too crowded by then  . (great result for the organisers)

Thanks to everyone involved in making this event happen.  ^^^

Cheers
Dave

I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline pict

• Forum Posts:
  • Western Sydney
« Reply #336 on: May 18, 2009, 03:07:04 PM »
My Brother and I go there around 3pm on Sat. A little later than I had hoped. At 3pm it was packed but by 4pm the crowd was thinning out and it was easier to jump on machines to play. Played many interesting pinnies but for some reason I enjoyed playing the older style pinnies 70's - early 80's a tad more.

Didnt get a chance to play CI but did have a look inside. I was blown away with its quality. I'd love to see a Coconut 2 ready for the next Expo tho ;)

Didnt get much of a chance to talk to many people but had a good chat to Andrew & Matt over a few drinks in the space between when we were kicked out of the Expo to when we came back for the Dinner.

Over dinner I found out a few interesting things:-

- Still how much of a Pinbll Gumby I am when it comes to Pinball Trivia. My table crashed and burned on the Pinball questions but made up ground on the General knowledge questions.
- One of the guys I sat next to (not a AP member yet) has a Games room at work full of Pinnies and video games.
- oh and Michael Shaloub eats Pork (I guess you had to be there and watch one of his unedited pinball videos - that bit was quite amusing  :lol :lol)

Pict

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #337 on: May 18, 2009, 05:13:41 PM »
Well, where do I start?

First of all, it was great to be there representing AussiePinball.com and hopefully we end up with an influx of new members. All the colour brochures went and we were well into the black and white ones by close on Sunday. On Sunday it was a bit quieter than on Saturday so had more chance to outline the benefits of joining up to a number of interested pinball owners. We also managed to sell a few T-shirts along the way.

Thanks to all who assisted in any way - T-shirts, banner, brochures, and manning the stall. Special mention to those who backed it up on the Sunday and helped out for a second day! I think it was a very positive move for the forum to be a sponsor of the Expo and having good forums can only help the industry grow as we assist and inspire people or point them in the right direction to get what they need.

Pinball machines: it was great to have close to 100 machines on the floor for people to play. Apparently there were over 1000 through the door on Saturday but I didn't hear the humbers for Sunday. In the end I didn't actually play that many games but the strongest memories for me were NBA Fastbreak (I think this one has made it on to the wishlist), Bride of Pinbot (that was an easy game - managed Grand Champion on my second go on it on the Sunday), and of course Coconut Island (although that machine didn't like me). It was sad to see Nick and Christian have to leave early but the guys put in a huge effort just to get there with a working game so hats off to them. I am not sure what plans Christian has for his source code but it provides so many possibilities for what is in the end quite a simple design on the hardware side of things.

The people: it was marvellous to be able to catch up with so many people from the forums and the wider pinball community. I met people from Perth, Adelaide, Brisbane, and of course, Sydney (and Wollongong). Thanks to everyone for their friendliness, hospitality and generosity. It was fun to be chatting with like-minded people on the subject of pinball.

The dinner: good turnout, good food, interesting company, unbelievably difficult pinball trivia (but the general questions were easy), a nice little speech from Tony M (illawarra_steelers), and some interesting video footage from Michael S. The only disappointment was not hearing from Alan Tate (sp?) - I really wanted to hear about his vision for a pinball museum from the man himself, but it wasn't to be.

The auction: pretty fair prices for what was on offer. There wasn't a huge roll-up compared to the Saturday, and the buyers where not the typical "I MUST own a pinball" crowd you see down in Melbourne, so nothing got too inflated.

The stalls: Of course, Gavin was there with examples of his awe-inspiring restoration work, and his neon signs. I reckon he might have a few years of work ahead of him after the Expo, he attracted that much interest. Michael Shalhoub was of course there with his books and also spare parts and pinball manuals. Pinball Mania (Jason Douglas) supplied some pinball machines for the floor as well but I can't remember them having a stall. Capital Pinball (from Canberra, where else) brought along an Attack from Mars, a Medieval Madness and a Cactus Canyon - all of which Jose was letting people play until the AFM was sold. AMD was there with 24 and the new NBA game (and apparently they racked up some orders as well). Three Ball Wizard were there promoting their T-shirts. There was an Arcade+ stall (Sydney based company selling cocktails and uprights) and a Kartatak display (Sydney based racing kart company). And of course there was us alongside Coconut Island.

The pinball competition: run by Z Ball, this was won by someone from Dubbo (I guess there really is nothing else out there to do except practise pinball). Matt might have more details as he watched this one.

A big thanks must go to Rian for organising it along with Michael and the others who helped. It takes a lot of courage to put on an event like this, especially when your money is on the line. Overall it was a great way to bring more exposure to the game of pinball. The amount of media coverage the event got was quite impressive.

Suggestions for next time:-

1. Without trying to sound too negative, the quality of some of the machines on the floor was not great. At one stage on the Saturday it felt like 1 in 3 pinballs were down. Admittedly they were getting hammered, but some machines were obviously better than others (NBA Fastbreak never missed a beat, by the way). It is not a real good introduction to pinball to rock up to a machine only to find it doesn't work. And all the machines were supposed to be on freeplay but some still needed manual addition of credits.

2. Even though the Expo was advertised as finishing up at 5pm on the Sunday, from the auction onwards (12pm) there where no more pinball machines to play. There were a few disappointed punters who came in expecting to be able to play machines but were not able to do so (and if you read the website it sounds like you could). If there needs to be an auction next time (and maybe there doesn't need to be one) then it would be better programmed for later in the day (say 2-5pm).

Offline millsy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra
  • pinballaustralia.com
    • Pinball Australia
« Reply #338 on: May 18, 2009, 05:26:07 PM »
Well said -you have covered just about everything i was going to post. Enjoyed your company at the AP table and everyone else that manned the table as well as all the guys I met. Thoroughly enjoyed my 1st expo weekend.  $#$
Kev
pinballaustralia.com

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #339 on: May 18, 2009, 06:29:34 PM »
Expo... what can i say that hasnt already been said? What a buzz!!!

The lead up to this for  me was just one mass of stress - i arrive at Sydney airport at 4.30pm, jump on the phone to Rian and my stuff STILL has not turned up. The offices of the transport companies shut at 5pm and if i dont get it sorted by then - its game over for me. Thanks mate - whoever you are at Northline Transport for personally delivering my box to expo after hearing why it HAD to be there - you're a life saver!

Then comes the day itself - i havent pulled out the backglasses yet as im too afraid they got broken, but they were in one piece and looking good.
 I had myself, my wife to be, my son (7) step daughter (4) and a 4 month baby on my stall - the kids didnt miss a beat - had been on the go from 6am right through till 10pm and they were fantastic!
 I have honestly never talked so much in my life - non stop enquiries and chat from 9am till my first sit down at 4pm. My throat is still sore from talking too much and i do like a chat, but man... i didnt expect to chat so much!

All i can say is that Expo WENT OFF! They were queuing to get in at 8.30am when i turned up to man my stall, at one point i looked up and it was chock a block with people. I gave out nearly 200 business cards - thats how popular restoration is - i could have sold everything on my stall several times over, but nothing bar the neon signs were for sale - i was just showcasing my work.
 I had to laugh at one point... one guy in particular came to the stall and wanted to know why the Bally Lost World PF was on there - i told him the story and showed where the PF had been worn to bare wood and subsequently restored. Out came the glasses and then real close scrutiny, tilting his head to get good light bounce. Later he came back with his mate and both were studying my work.. then he looks up and says "theres nothing there - i cant see it, you havent done anything".
 I couldnt have asked for a better compliment!

Thanks everyone that came and said hello - its so good to actually meet you all - Tony, im glad you are pleased with the work i did on your BG ( thats both Tonys!!)
 I picked up a lot of playfield restoration work at Expo and had a ball.
 Now that pic of me playing Police Force - well i was on my way for a pee at the time but quickly grabbed A machine while i could - any machine... after that i never really got another chance to play any.
 My only gripe is a member here - Spurr - be careful of this man, he comes across as a nice bloke but then goes and buys Bank A Ball score and instruction cards with schematic for $10 and takes great delight in showing me them... lets me "look after" them for a while and then takes the damn things home with him!

Will i do the expo thing again?? ABSOLUTELY!!! Next year though, ill have restored PF's for sale - i hope to come back with nothing!!!

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #340 on: May 18, 2009, 06:37:02 PM »
Great Link Tony great News video on the expo.  Michael has 400 machines cant wait to tell the wife to go * Jump and leave my 8 alone lol

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #341 on: May 18, 2009, 07:30:59 PM »
Spurr haggled those down from 30 bucks I think. I better get him to negotiate my pin purchases.
lol

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #342 on: May 18, 2009, 07:55:40 PM »
Biggest surprise of the Expo: finding out that my uni mate (from Newcastle uni) actually helped produce backglasses for Hankin pins - at least the FJ Holden and Orbit 1 backglasses. At the time he was a screen printer and the company he worked for was given the job!

So there you go, all the time I was friends with a living part of pinball history.

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #343 on: May 20, 2009, 10:45:22 PM »
They got just over 1,500 in on Saturday - just confirmed....plans are on the way for the next one in 2010 in Sydney  ^^^

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #344 on: May 20, 2009, 10:49:22 PM »
OHHH 2010 that to far away.....