Author Topic: Out there priced pinballs!  (Read 2751 times)

Offline Pinball tragic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Out there priced pinballs!
« on: February 07, 2016, 04:20:31 PM »
Is anyone out there as frustrated as I am with some of the ridiculous asking prices for some pretty standard pins at the moment?
I know it's only an asking price. The way I see it, one person puts an outrageous price on a pin. Sells it for half or less than that. Next person sees that pin advertised and notices that it has sold or disappeared so they assume it sold. So they advertise there's for a ridiculous price maybe even more ridiculous. Next person sees that ad , advertises there's...
You see where it's going.

Who's to blame the first or the last?

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
Re: Out there priced pinballs!
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 04:43:01 PM »
Overpriced pins have been around for years

Nothing we can do about it

Offline 4_amusement_only

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 04:51:33 PM »
First to blame is your primary school English teacher  <.>

But seriously, yes many collectors find it very frustrating. It starts with the dealers inflating the prices and keeping them there for prolonged periods of time. Casual observers have an inherent trust with a dealer thinking the prices they are seeing is the cost of true value and service of this new interest they have. Sadly, they later find out when it comes to pinball, not all dealers offer the best service, sales and advice. The advertising method of overpricing a machine has had an impact on what people are wanting for their personal machines during sale time. Space Invaders for close to 6k - and my personal favourite a Stern Lightning which a couple of years back failed to sell for 2.2k and was repeatedly listed by the dealer for literally 18 months (was a running joke alongside the Granny and Gators) - now the same seller has another unit of the Lightning for over 4K! Who can forget the recent Teed Off for what was it? 7K?The seller didn't even bother putting the translite in for the photo. Almost criminal offence! All props if these machines are fetching the asking prices but many are not and it does confuse the market.

Even collectors on other forums will congratulate a high 3k asking price of a machine for sale when the same title was a 2k machine every day of the week only so long ago! A well restored/reconditioned machine will always command interest and a higher dollar - it would be particularly frustrating if you had one of these for sale and others come along without the work done asking for around the same amount.

It really is an interesting time for the pin market. If this proposed economy downturn comes, they say the first thing to go out the window are luxury items.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 05:29:50 PM by 4_amusement_only »

Offline Pinball tragic

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 05:00:10 PM »
Ha ha. Yes I'm illiterate.
Must have been all the thunder and LIGHTNING here.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2016, 05:16:25 PM »
As a industry person, I'm amused at the dealer prices. Recently, I restored and Addams Family and valued the game at $9500. Without a doubt, it is one of the best Addams Family machines in the country. Now begs the question - "Is an Addams Family worth $9500 ?" In this case - Most definitely ;

Clearcoated playfield
Re decalled cabinet
New genuine Ramp, plastics set, LEDs
Boards refurbished

Spent 100 hours easily.

Now if the customer paid $6500, $1500 for the additional NOS playfield that was recleared and my time + parts = $9,500 EASILY. This point is - there is $9500 worth of value in that example.

So the "news" gets around that APR "sold an Addams for $9,500" - which is crap - I restored a customer's game and VALUED it at $9500. BUT - Dealers decided "that afternoon" that Addams Family are now "market value of $9500".

This creates an issue for newbies and customers that don't do their research - They are now TOLD by dealers "We sell Addams Family pinballs for $9500 every day of the week". So the illusion is created with the additional "APR are the same price but they take 6 months and we can have yours ready in a week". So the poor customer buys an Addams worth $6500 for $9,500 believing that is the market value.

The moral of the story is not to believe the hype. Don't buy the over priced games.

The other issue which is well documented and comes directly from the source (suppliers overseas). We have the typical dealer shopping games with the minimal work - and I've seen games were the pop bumpers are original - filthy, faded and broken ("fully stripped"  !@#), crap ramps, crusty plastics and tumbled old flipper parts that are supposed to be new. An example was a Twilight Zone that sat on eBay at $9500 for MONTHS - no one is stupid enough to pay for this game, but the overseas supplier checked eBay Australia and find their overpriced games "fully shopped" by local dealers for 4 times what they sold them for (to the dealer). Overnight, TZ were almost DOUBLE the price from the supplier ! Yet local sellers blame private importers !

Local dealers that overprice their pins and now take MORE shortcuts due to their own stupidity complain the overseas supplier have increased their price so the local sellers pass on the price hike to the home buyer. It IS madness.

Regardless of the prices increasing - just don't pay those prices UNLESS you are getting the true value.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Pinball tragic

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2016, 08:34:19 PM »

But seriously, yes many collectors find it very frustrating. It starts with the dealers inflating the prices and keeping them there for prolonged periods of time. Casual observers have an inherent trust with a dealer thinking the prices they are seeing is the cost of true value and service of this new interest they have. Sadly, they later find out when it comes to pinball, not all dealers offer the best service, sales and advice. The advertising method of overpricing a machine has had an impact on what people are wanting for their personal machines during sale time. Space Invaders for close to 6k - and my personal favourite a Stern Lightning which a couple of years back failed to sell for 2.2k and was repeatedly listed by the dealer for literally 18 months (was a running joke alongside the Granny and Gators) - now the same seller has another unit of the Lightning for over 4K! Who can forget the recent Teed Off for what was it? 7K?The seller didn't even bother putting the translite in for the photo. Almost criminal offence! All props if these machines are fetching the asking prices but many are not and it does confuse the market.

Even collectors on other forums will congratulate a high 3k asking price of a machine for sale when the same title was a 2k machine every day of the week only so long ago! A well restored/reconditioned machine will always command interest and a higher dollar - it would be particularly frustrating if you had one of these for sale and others come along without the work done asking for around the same amount.

It really is an interesting time for the pin market. If this proposed economy downturn comes, they say the first thing to go out the window are luxury items.

What happened? Didn't mind taking the piss with me and my grammar. But when your own mistake gets pointed out on the post you have a crack at me about you edit it. If you spell lightning with an e you got to cop it sweet.  <.>

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2016, 09:04:22 PM »
I never get frustrated. I just don't buy and that's why my collection has remained unchanged for 3 years. Patience is the key now but if its your first game then I understand your pain.
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2016, 09:19:10 PM »
Be proactive and make an offer to the seller.

As you alluded to, most of those overpriced planks don't sell publicly and end up being pulled and selling for thousands of dollars below actual asking price.

You really only ever need to pay top dollar for a properly restored machine.

Offline 4_amusement_only

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2016, 03:21:22 AM »

What happened? Didn't mind taking the piss with me and my grammar. But when your own mistake gets pointed out on the post you have a crack at me about you edit it. If you spell lightning with an e you got to cop it sweet.  <.>

Nah I usually don't, thus why I went back and edited. I also added extra clarity to help answer the topic. Try and tap those paragraphs up on an iPad in under 5 mins without an error. Move on buddy and I'll promise to read over my responses before hitting post next time if you promise to learn the difference between their and there and when to use apostrophes. Then again it's just a pinball forum not a formal essay entry - only person who seems to care is you. Any wiser on why the pinball resell market is so high? Anything you can add to the discussion?

Offline Pinball tragic

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2016, 04:59:41 AM »
If you don't want people to spell check your post, don't make comments about theirs then! Better?

I have learned that it seems to be a viscous circle. I am reasonably new to pinball and haven't had the experience of others. I am a bit wiser about the situation now. Thanks.

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2016, 07:48:37 AM »
My spelling is bad, but I like pinball

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2016, 08:16:39 AM »
Before uni I couldn't spell Engineer and now I are one  @.@
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2016, 09:26:23 AM »
Their is always to opinion's on weather or knot two correct peoples grandma.........

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2016, 09:42:19 AM »
Their is always to opinion's on weather or knot two correct peoples grandma.........

I'm knot correcting you're grandma
She will probably use the wooden spoon on me :o

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
Out there priced pinballs!
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2016, 10:32:57 AM »