Author Topic: Cyber poison-penner hunted down and sued  (Read 234 times)

Offline markc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
Cyber poison-penner hunted down and sued
« on: February 25, 2010, 12:46:52 PM »

Offline wonder

• Forum Posts:
  • perth
  • just need the machine
Re: Cyber poison-penner hunted down and sued
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 01:08:51 PM »
Just reading it in the local paper,who said Perth in boring.

whoops I might get sued. Let the gates open.
pharaoh blackglass <br />blackknight project<br />NOS Playfields

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 04:41:32 PM »
so that means if someone or a company ripps you off (not the party or parties mentioned in the link) for argument sake you buy some thing off ebay or a web page, and they never send it or send you a different item to the one you have payed for, and after exhausting all avenues trying to sort the problem out, you tell the truth on a forum saying that you have been ripped off by that person they now can sue you? its a bit wrong in my eyes.

i can understand this outcome if the person posting the slander is lying but if the person is posting the truth then it is unfair.

I suppose you could do what the news media do, instead of saying Joe Blow has ripped off Jack Rack you could say Joe blow has allegedly ripped off jack rack.
The media says things like this all the time and get away scott free.

anyway beware of what you write
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 05:30:59 PM »
so that means if someone or a company ripps you off (not the party or parties mentioned in the link) for argument sake you buy some thing off ebay or a web page, and they never send it or send you a different item to the one you have payed for, and after exhausting all avenues trying to sort the problem out, you tell the truth on a forum saying that you have been ripped off by that person they now can sue you? its a bit wrong in my eyes.

No, the rules of defamation remain - truth will generally be a defense. The article doesn't mention what was said, but from the sounds of it the comments were derogatory and without defense.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 05:36:43 PM »

No, the rules of defamation remain - truth will generally be a defense. The article doesn't mention what was said, but from the sounds of it the comments were derogatory and without defense.
well lets hope we can't be sued for stating the truth. LOL
thanks for your input pinnies4 me
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline shansta

• Forum Posts:
  • Vic...
  • I want to migrate... To Qld...
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 11:41:14 PM »
Maybe that lawyer should hang out in RGP for a while...  !*!
Why is it called PMS?
Because "Mad Cow Disease" was already taken...