Author Topic: EXPO 2010 NOW DEAD  (Read 8368 times)

Offline Pintoxicated

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
Re: EXPO 2010 NOW DEAD
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2010, 07:32:40 PM »
See told ya some good ideas would come out of this 'discussion'.  Not really an expo but not a bad way of generating some interest.

I was actually thinking today, that a Pinball Expo piggy backed onto/with one of those "Big Boys Toys" Expo's you see every now n again might work.

That way, you could have Pinball with Cars n Jet Ski stuff, the Electronics Home Theatre big ass TV people, and maybe the motor bike Harley davidson/Jap bike section. The typical luxury "Ohhh Yehhhh I want that Show".

If ya cant beat em , join em might be an answer.  !@#

Addicted to pins.

Offline Wotto

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2010, 08:26:24 PM »
Yep - a very decent idea.
Cavey - U R on fire mate  %.%
DW Drums rule !

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2010, 09:37:14 PM »

It would take a very brave and cashed up individual(s) to finance "up front" the type of Expo we "expect". Due to the nature of the industry, it would be very difficult to have all vendors in one room and all singing to the same tune. I think there are two distinct types of "Expo"s.

An Industry Driver Expo - Involving all vendors, dealers and business' that are actively in the industry and that like any industry - are profit driven. Like any activity - the Expo needs to generate money for the business. Look at the way the USA guys run Expos - They involve as many Industry people as possible. The generate the interest to generate their income. It is like bringing their showrooms into one big hall.

A Hobbyist's Expo - Involving Hobbyists - collectors bring their own games, mods, books, flyers etc etc. In Australia - we are just too small - but we don't need to go "big". Whoever wants to be there from the industry - well that's a bonus.

A bit of both, in a small scale at low costs would be the way to go.

I REALLY like the idea of hanging a mini Expo - with stalls etc at another "Big Boys Toys" show - Cars / motorbikes / Pinball !

The POSITIVE discussion within this thread really does demonstrate the passion and the possibilities. A lot better that the speculation and rumours that ran rampant leading up to the Expo.

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2010, 12:19:00 AM »
Really well said Mr Strangeways.
As Mark C always says, pinball is meant to be fun.

At the end of the day, everyone on Aussie Pinball and Aussie Arcade, all have one huge thing in common, WE ALL LOVE PINBALL.

I think the EXPO topic creates so much, so many different versions/opinions, cause we all want to "showcase or show off" this dam great hobby we love so much to as many new faces as possible. And sometimes, its like we are all fighting to present our hobby the very best way we all can.
Yes, alot of us are perfectionists or nit picky cause we all care heaps, and thats a good thing.
We all have to remember, Pinball comes first with the fun factor. All the politics and rivalry between businesses or forums always comes last and is really insignificant compared to the fun and joy of this dam great hobby. I have met more great people in the last 2 years with Pinball, than i have in 20 years without it. !
It will only be a matter of time before a few blokes from all parts of this industry/hobby get together again and put together something fun and great that we all will be proud of.

There too many great people in this thing called Pinball to stop the natural evoloution. One of the most important parts to keeping this Industry alive is the success of STERN. Any opportunity to promote them, anywhere, to the mass public in anyway, can only be great for pinball and new buyers/hobbyists. New blood, of all ages. Like a recruitment drive. lol  ^^^

Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline markc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2010, 08:24:55 PM »

Yes    i do say  PINBALL IS MEANT TO BE FUN  and to most CYA AGAIN SOON   as so many come back for a 2nd or a third or more

going in with big boys toys expo   nows thats an idea  I like ... 

when is the next one in melb   maybe a few of the melb guys could go and try it out ?

Offline v8racefan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast Queensland
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2010, 09:57:54 PM »
The big boys toys expo was held just last weekend here in Brisbane. I've always said that pinball machines go well with us petrol heads, most old school hot rodders remember playing pinballs, these hobbies blend well together. When we run a show us ya ride thread on AP heaps of members here had classic cars/bikes and rods.

Just floating an idea to run a pinball expo with a major state hot rod show, never seems to be much trouble getting hot rod/motor industry trade sponsors to cover venue costs, and classic car shows allways pull the crowds?? A separate hall with the pins, then the balance of venue populated with cool cars. Would this work?? hell YES!! or is this just a crazy idea?

just my thoughts

Cheers

V8racefan

Pinballs in my collection Elvira, Stern Grand Prix, Bally Corvette, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Judge Dredd, Black Rose and Data East Guns n Roses.

Offline ddjac

• Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Australia
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2010, 12:31:24 AM »
2011 Street Rod Nationals will be in Victoria Easter 2011 (Geelong host city), this will be a huge event.
also
2011 National Corvette Convention will be at Docklands next Easter.
Both these events will be held during Easter 2011.
Both huge events that go for 3-4 days each, would be a good to showcase some pins at either or both events.
The National Corvette convention will probably have live TV news crosses as part of the 2011 Royal Childrens Hospital Good Friday Appeal, could set up a tent with pins on free play with gold coin donation to the appeal if anyone interested contact me.
Denis.

The big boys toys expo was held just last weekend here in Brisbane. I've always said that pinball machines go well with us petrol heads, most old school hot rodders remember playing pinballs, these hobbies blend well together. When we run a show us ya ride thread on AP heaps of members here had classic cars/bikes and rods.

Just floating an idea to run a pinball expo with a major state hot rod show, never seems to be much trouble getting hot rod/motor industry trade sponsors to cover venue costs, and classic car shows allways pull the crowds?? A separate hall with the pins, then the balance of venue populated with cool cars. Would this work?? hell YES!! or is this just a crazy idea?

just my thoughts

Cheers

V8racefan

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2010, 09:46:16 AM »
Piggy backed with "big boys toys" is an awesome idea I think-two of my favorite toys fast cars and great pinball $#$
Just need to make sure the machines are show cased in there best condition as in fully working and in new or mint condition or a before and after resto, not machines that are in crap condtion.

Peter

Offline Damien

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2010, 01:14:00 AM »

queensland amusemnt expo in september..

who is going to make it a pinball one too?

Offline jasthecase

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2012, 11:28:05 PM »
were due for another expo in sydney boys .

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2012, 12:10:28 AM »
I remember when this complete NOB from another forum emailed me abusive messages because I did this post about the 2010 expo being dead etc. He went to great pains to detail how it was going to go ahead, he was the main organiser on the committee,  and he sent me email after email telling me how he was 1 million percent going to make this happen. What a NOB. He said I was banned from AA because I had incorrectly stated the 2010 expo wasnt going ahead, when he could prove it 1 million percent was going ahead..  !!@

Well, i was right for a change. It didnt get off the ground. I found it extra funny that it was only 2 weeks from the opening date of the supposed expo, and no venue had been announced, no dates etc, but I got abused for saying it was going to be dead. That NOB owes me an apology. Committe member or not, he made an absolute goose of himself telling the world he was the committe president and it was his job to announce to the world etc that the 2010 expo was 1 million percent happening, and all the sponsors were lined up, the venue had been chosen, and all the other forums were going etc etc..

Congratulations Mr Committe President ! that was a mighty fine 2010 expo u put on. It was so great, everyone is speechless about all the great things which happened.  %.%
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 12:16:33 AM by Caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2012, 12:19:21 AM »
I remember when this complete NOB from another forum emailed me abusive messages because I did this post about the 2010 expo being dead etc. He went to great pains to detail how it was going to go ahead, he was the main organiser on the committee, he was also an AP member, who doesnt post anymore etc, and he sent me email after email telling me how he was 1 million percent going to make this happen. What a NOB. He said I was banned from AA because I had incorrectly stated the 2010 expo wasnt going ahead, when he could prove it 1 million percent was going ahead..  !!@

Well, i was right for a change. It didnt get off the ground. I found it extra funny that it was only 2 weeks from the opening date of the supposed expo, and no venue had been announced, no dates etc, but I got abused for saying it was going to be dead. That NOB owes me an apology. Committe member or not, he made an absolute goose of himself telling the world he was the committe president and it was his job to announce to the world etc that the 2010 expo was 1 million percent happening, and all the sponsors were lined up, the venue had been chosen, and all the other forums were going etc etc..

Congratulations Mr Committe President ! that was a mighty fine 2010 expo u put on. It was so great, everyone is speechless about all the great things which happened.  %.%

I know what you mean, Brett. There are some seriously deluded individuals that believe that the hobby runs around their agenda.

Would be fantastic to see a "real" Expo sometime in the future.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2012, 01:06:56 AM »
You mean the commitee president that only gave details and participation invites  to people he wanted to and excluded those he no longer liked for one reason or another?
Any expo is doomed when personal agenda overrides the task at hand.
cavey... youll never get an apology  %.% and it was sad in the end to see it all fall apart due to such fragile personalities

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2012, 02:43:49 AM »
It did go ahead cavey.
They even raffled 3 NIB second edition WMS Medieval Madness Pins.
They also had a fully working time machine there but some one used it to go back in time and destroy all the invitations thus the space time continuum was changed so no one RSVP by the due date and the event was cancelled due to a lack of interest.  &&

On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2012, 03:02:03 AM »
..... What a NOB. He said I was banned from AA because I had incorrectly stated the 2010 expo wasnt going ahead, when he could prove it 1 million percent was going ahead..  !!@

I always thought you were a trouble maker  *)*  *)*  !*!