Author Topic: Sunday Pinball mutterings  (Read 864 times)

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
Sunday Pinball mutterings
« on: December 13, 2009, 01:25:59 PM »
I am new to pinball in some respects. As a teen in the 80's I played alot of EMs at home, but got very little exposure to Solid State machines. During the 90's I probably only had 1 or 2 games on a sited pin, seems I was doing other stuff back then. My grounding is in EM pinball, EMs taught me how to get into the flow of the game, to nudge, to make subtle shots, and EMs were designed to take coin fast. I must say that I am a crap player really, but I have the odd good score.

I think this gives me a unique insight into pinball, allthough it could be argued that I have a limited view. My opinions of various machines has been based upon playing the games of collectors (which I consider a privelige). Nearly allways these machines play flawlessly, and give you the best opportunity to know/enjoy that particular game. When I walk up to play most 80's and 90's games I have little to no pre-experiences, pre-judgements, and am excited for this "first time".

Because my grounding is in EMs I am drawn to solid states/dmds that remind me of EM play. EM play for me is, walk-up simplicity, challenging shot play, fast flowing action (no stop and start, forever trapping the ball stuff), and a good game is a fast one (pure pinball). Games like WCS94, Fishtales, Dr Who, Black Rose, The Flintstones, Rocky and Bullwinkle, all really float my boat because they tick all the boxes for simple, and fast fun (I admit couple of these games can be played more deeply). I could list some 80's games, but in my experience this was the era that got it right (ok gotta mention Nugent lol), and tables were not significantly different (with the expection of multi-level, ramps etc).

A big factor in my appreciation for a game is "bang for buck". For me the magic formula is, $$$ value must equal fun level. I do not really consider myself a collector (more of an enthusiast), and as such am not constained by notions of higher price = better game. Of course my limited means limits me to owning cheaper machines. It could be argued that if I had more $$$ then I would find TZ or Indy a fun game. I really do not think so though as these machines simply do not provide me with walk-up fast paced/flowing, simple, and knockem-down action. I hear guys say you have own it for a few months to understand, and appreciate it properly. For me a machine must be "instant like". Interesting that in prowlers thread that my opinion was supported by a couple of guys agreeing that Flintstones is a better player than Indy and TZ. For some of us it is absolutely a more "fun" game.

Of course this post is biased to what I think about pinball. I know many guys enjoy deeper/tougher and more expensive machines. I really do not want to take anything away from what these guys enjoy. An "ace" player invited me to go second player one nite. His first ball last nearly an hour, and I reckon the game had heaps left in it to do. You could tell he was really enjoying it (I was in awe for the first 20mins, but then started to get hungry). I couldave had 3 good games on FT in that time period. Point is that we all enjoy different elements, and bashing a steel ball around on one table can be so much different on another. Its a hoot for me for play for 30 mins on 5 balls, or 10 mins on three.

Someone said (respected fella) today that he thought Big Hurt, Shaq Attack, Streetfighter, Rescue 911, World Challenge Soccer were all very boring games (cheaper titles). This was the spark of this thread really. I have never played those titles, and would like to think the designers at GTB got it right with at least one of them.
 ()

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: Sunday Pinball mutterings
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 01:53:25 PM »

Great post Greg  ^^^

I think along similar lines, because of a similar background. I grew up around EMs and learnt about them very quickly. The only downside to EMs is that there are not enough out there - and not enough out there in "A1" condition (unless they are in one of our collections). EMs are simple, yet tough. Its like going to a Fair - Knock down the cans, you win a prize. Simple, yet challenging. Makes you want to return for more. There's not an EM I don't like - I have my favorites, but none that I won't play because they are not fun to look at or play. Artwork - Cannot be beaten. There's hardly any post EM artwork that is as good as EM artwork. Quite a SS machines have GREAT artwork, but I don't think it developed past the SS "Golden Age". DMD art is seldom original, always a licensed theme which does not give that machine it's own character.

I guess it is because I enjoy the simplicity of a game, I cannot appreciate the deep rule sets of ST TNG, IJ and TZ. These three machines I avoid at all costs. I don't find them as being "fun" games - a little too "serious" for me. I draw the line at SS, TAF and CV as far as "rulesets" are concerned. I agree with Greg - Fishtales is an AWESOME fun game for me. Much like an EM or SS. Street Fighter II is much more fun than most give it credit for. I'd rather play a SFII for HOURS than play ST TNG for one game. I think if the SFII theme was not a video game, then people would not "bag" it as much.

At the end of the day - I love all things pinball.

^^^

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline MrMaloo

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Cessnock NSW
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 02:05:35 PM »
Great read Greg .

When I first got into collecting pins I would've said that I was a DMD guy hands-down . As ,like EM's for you , it's what I grew up playing the most . I actually grew up in the era that seen the transgression from SS to DMD and have a few titles from each era which have high nostalgia value for me (some of which I am fortunate to now own) .

After being to quite a few meets my appreciation of all pins has grown and I enjoy walking up to an EM for the first time and having a good old simple bash .

IMO a "good" collection of pinballs is one that offers variety but most important of all is fun .

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 02:52:44 PM »
Thought-provoking indeed!

I won't say too much as I need to save up for next Sunday's questionnaire, but obviously there is a lot of personality type and initial exposure to pinball that goes into the sort of games you end up liking.

Offline Ballywannabe

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2009, 03:44:33 PM »
Cut and paste of my reply to the AA thread:

I am from the 'flow' school, and only have 1978-81 machines in my collection. Not that I don't like playing other peoples DMD's - just that at this point in time I do not get the same enjoyment for $ that I get from the older machines.

Things that steer me away from DMD's are:

* take too long to learn how to play properly (long/complex rule sets),
    * too much stop/start (video modes, light shows, etc)
    * ball a lot further away and regularly 'disappears' under the playfield
    * ball times are way too long, so multiplayer games can have loooong waits between balls

I don't mind Big Hurt, but Shaq and 911 blow IMO! Have not played the others.

cheers
Ian

Offline SPURR

• Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2009, 03:55:53 PM »
Yes Im a EM lover as well maybe because Im not into heaps of rules throughout the game you must do to get anywhere.
I recon walkin up to a pin for the first time not knowing the rules you look at the "how to play rules" on the card and there's that much writing you dont bother reading it. So OK then my rules are in, just hit anything insight.

Offline SPURR

• Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2009, 04:03:15 PM »
A quote from Ian * too much stop/start (video modes, light shows, etc)*
This shits me more than anything.

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2009, 04:29:50 PM »
not knowing the rules you look at the "how to play rules" on the card and there's that much writing you dont bother reading it.

So OK then my rules are in, just hit anything insight.

:lol :lol :lol :lol

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2009, 05:01:05 PM »
Im more of a hit and hope player and struggle to play the same game long enough to learn the rules and i tend to leave a lot of credits on machines as i walk away after a few games