Author Topic: Time to get some sleep  (Read 1458 times)

Offline Steve2010

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
Time to get some sleep
« on: April 04, 2010, 01:37:40 AM »
Hi all,

.... but not until I post my first post (seeing that it's past midnight).

Well the past few months have been quite something.

I used to play pinball as a kid growing up in the 70's and early 80's where I grew up in Canada.  Mostly EM games, and of course started to see the early SS games.  Visited so many places to find the games, I literally dragged my friends along many times.  Even in uni, many times breaks between classes were turned into pinball "sessions".  But eventually uni became so busy, and life thereafter, that I slowly exited pinball.

Moved to Oz (Sydney) in 1992, and life is very good here.  For whatever reason (must be mid-life "crisis"), the idea of pursuing a pinball machine came into my mind a few months ago.  Have absolutely no idea why .... so here I am, 25 years since I last touched the flipper buttons.

I remembered many of the names of games I used to play .... Delta Queen, Jive Time, Big Indian, Jumping Jack, Jacks Open, Sure Shot, Freedom, Mata Hari, Buccaneer, Future Spa, Flash Gordan, etc.  So strange when I first visited the ipdb and brought up the images of these games ... like blowing the dust off the past.

I can say that the passion of pinball, that has been dormant for so many, many years, has for some strange/unforeseen reason been re-ignited in me.

I have read several posts in this forum, and it is so, so encouraging to see the comraderie and passion you guys have.  The restoration process blows me away, the time and energy needed.  Especially for those beautiful EM games of the late 60's and 70's - fantatastic!  Of course I also have heart for the SS games of the 70's/early 80's (especially Bally).

Needless to say I am quite interested in acquiring a pin (particulary an EM, and games listed above would carry sentimental history), and for some reason, I don't think it will end with one!  Looking forward to learning as much as I can.  I suppose I a good instinct on playing pinball reasonably well 25+ years ago, but when it comes to the mechanics and electronics that make it all come together, that's quite a new game for me.  Just the beginning of a journey.

Steve

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Time to get some sleep
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 03:10:31 AM »
Welcome.  <..>

Most guys on here only buy one pinball machine and then are happy with just one. NOT  && && &&

Buy a machine as soon as u can, then play the hell out of it, just so you can quickly get another.  ^^^ ^^^ ^^^

Lots of top blokes on here and lots of great reading. *AND photos to look at.   ^^^
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Prince

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 04:47:18 AM »
a very nice intro Steve - welcome aboard.
Good luck with the endeavour of finding your dream pinball.
SC.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 08:06:58 AM »
Welcome Steve, thanks for the informative intro. Nothing like popping your cherry on your first game - you never forget the first!! ;)
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 08:14:42 AM »
Hi Steve... great intro mate...

Funnily enough, we know of one member here THINKING of maybe selling a JUMPING JACK... you could well be in the right place at the right time!

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 08:25:27 AM »
one of the best intros

Goodspeed finding your first pin  ()

Offline The pinballist formally known as Dean Morgan

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Berwick Vic
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 08:43:34 AM »
Welcome mate, this is the place for all things Pinball, hope you get your first machine soon ^^^
Im a Gottlieb Man - System 1 & 80 Rock

Offline shansta

• Forum Posts:
  • Vic...
  • I want to migrate... To Qld...
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2010, 08:59:35 AM »
I won't repeat what others have said above.  ^^^

Nice one mate - that mid-life crisis is a bitch! I already got the pinny, now I just need the motorbike...
Why is it called PMS?
Because "Mad Cow Disease" was already taken...

Offline Pinfan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2010, 09:17:29 AM »
Hey Steve,

Great to see you finally bit the bullet and its great to see you here !

%)%  %)%  %)%
Some people have big HEADS !

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2010, 10:10:25 AM »
welcome aboard steve great intro and good luck on the hunt

Offline Creech

• Forum Founder
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2010, 11:19:14 AM »
 %)% Steve. Good luck with finding your pins.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2010, 11:26:04 AM »

$.$ and  %)% to AP, Steve !

AWESOME first post and I'm sure you will find our little corner of the web a great help in finding that first pin.

But it NEVER stops at one pinball..  &&
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Steve2010

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2010, 10:28:39 PM »
Hi guys,

Many thanks for all the comments, and really good to see how encouraging this forum is.  Looking forward to sharing more stuff along the way.

Thanks,
Steve

Offline Steve2010

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2010, 10:51:35 PM »

Funnily enough, we know of one member here THINKING of maybe selling a JUMPING JACK... you could well be in the right place at the right time!
Retropin,

Thanks for the message.  I suppose there's a bit more to add to my introduction .... I am actually already in the process of my first acquisition.  I have very recently purchased Skateball from Marco, and am just working out the best folks to go with for transporting it to Sydney (from Melbourne).  Just reading the thread here about its restoration is mouth watering.  Nino, looking forward to receiving the pin your craftmanship has re-birthed .... just searching on your work in this forum is nothing short of awesome.  And of course a BIG thank you to Marco for making this first purchase really genuine and enjoyable.

As keen as I probably am, I know that patience will soon kick in (if not, my wife will see to that *%*).  But, if I looked ahead to the next one &&, an EM from my early years would be nice.  In particular, something like Buccaneer, Freedom, or Delta Queen.  These games may not necessarily be the best for game play (even though I quite enjoyed them), but playing something I played 35 or so years ago would really be something.

Steve

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2010, 11:03:38 PM »

Retropin,

Thanks for the message.  I suppose there's a bit more to add to my introduction .... I am actually already in the process of my first acquisition.  I have very recently purchased Skateball from Marco, and am just working out the best folks to go with for transporting it to Sydney (from Melbourne).  Just reading the thread here about its restoration is mouth watering.  Nino, looking forward to receiving the pin your craftmanship has re-birthed .... just searching on your work in this forum is nothing short of awesome.  And of course a BIG thank you to Marco for making this first purchase really genuine and enjoyable.

As keen as I probably am, I know that patience will soon kick in (if not, my wife will see to that *%*).  But, if I looked ahead to the next one &&, an EM from my early years would be nice.  In particular, something like Buccaneer, Freedom, or Delta Queen.  These games may not necessarily be the best for game play (even though I quite enjoyed them), but playing something I played 35 or so years ago would really be something.

Steve

Glad to hear that such a nice game is heading your way. Thanks for the kind words BTW  ^^^ Pinball restoration is a passion and an addiction. I will be restoring several wedgeheads and some very rare Bally EMs in the near future. Marco is a great person to deal with - all his pins are in meticulous condition.

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia