Author Topic: Greetings and other subjects  (Read 933 times)

Offline deep six

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle NSW
    • ATC Heaven
Greetings and other subjects
« on: May 23, 2011, 10:08:51 PM »
Hi all

Just found this site and hope you all can help me. Just stepping back a little I got my first pinball back in 1990, it was a Wiliiams Stellar Wars, was a fun machine but seemed to spend most of its life out of action more than I would have liked, had the boards sent away and rebuilt (supposedly) cost plenty and probably ran for 20 hours or so before quitting on me a second time, ended up selling the machine to a mate and last I talked to him he was minus whatever hair he had to start with.

Fast forward to 2002, picked up a nice Gottlieb Wipe out, nice because being a late model it hardly ever gives any problems (cross fingers).
Couple of weeks ago got a call from a long lost "friend", well a guy I knew a while back anyway, says he has a couple of pinnys he wants out of his house as he is moving, at the time I wasn't real interested but giving it some though I decided wouldn't hurt to call around and have a look. He mentioned the word "Hankin" which got me interested, knowing these are a rare machine, also stern galaxy which I had never heard of but not surprising given the amount I know about available pinballs.

Anyway, don't want to put you all to sleep but I am now the proud owner of a Hankin Howzat, a Stern Galaxy, plus a Sega Super Hang On stand up motorcycle game, and a Galaga stand up cabinet as well.
Now I should mention none of these machines are in full operating order.

Hankin: left bottom flipper not working, pop bumpers not working, no sound.
Galaxy: ball kicker not working, did boot up on the weekend but shortly after displayed "79" and shortly after that display went out and machine shut down.
Sega: runs but screen has horizontal colour bars running through it.
Galaga: won't go into game play, screen is all messed up.
Oh, and the Wipeout has a left flipper issue but I think a replacement coil will fix that up.

Anyway, I'm sure to be bugging you all with endless and seemingly trivial questions, but on the plus side I do own a Roland SP300 sign printer so am happy to help out with small decals so long as I am not treading on anyones feet here at this forum who might be doing decals commercially.

Cheers

Ric
"Wanted" Snappy signature, please insert here......

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Re: Greetings and other subjects
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 10:16:28 PM »
Welcome to Aussie pinball and thus a great score there both machines I'd be happy to have in my collection I'm sure there is enough knowledge between members to help you get these machines running again

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 10:42:17 PM »
Welcome Ric, and thanks for the decal offer, I suspect a member or two might take that offer up.

Bring on the questions, there's plenty of members here with great knowledge only too willing to share.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Aimef

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 10:53:01 PM »
 $.$ and  %)%

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 10:56:03 PM »
Great intro Ric, and I'm pleased you are back in the hobby ! Don't let these minor issues get in the way of enjoying the games again.

Galaxy - When you say "ball kicker" you mean the outhole that serves the ball into the ball trough ? There's a "self test" button in the door. One of the white buttons is the "self test" and you can cycle through the tests until you find the solenoid test. You will know it when you start hearing each solenoid activate (I think the first is the lights, then displays cycling through and then the solenoid test). Now if the "ball kicker" solenoid fires, then you know you have a switch issue.

Galaga - Screen is messed up. Reseat the connector to the board. Test the +5V on the power supply or at the edge connector. Do you have a pinout diagram to determine which pin the +5 V is ? Is it a Jamma board ?

Sega with horizontal bars - reseat thew edge connector. Check the +5 Volts. Reseat the eproms.

There's a start !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Steevsee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 11:56:17 PM »
Hi Ric and welcome to the forum. %)%

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 12:55:17 AM »
Hey Ric, if you want to meet members from your locale, take a look here and feel free to post your area for the list

http://aussiepinball.com/index.php?topic=6497.0
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline ktm450

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011, 12:21:47 PM »
 %)% good luck with the projects, plenty of help around here

Offline The pinballist formally known as Dean Morgan

• Forum Posts:
  • Berwick Vic
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2011, 01:24:57 PM »
Hi mate, Welcome to the forum,  as everyone has said plenty of help available here.  Good machines in your collection, congrats on the pick up.
Im a Gottlieb Man - System 1 & 80 Rock

Offline deep six

• Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle NSW
    • ATC Heaven
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2011, 10:00:39 PM »
Hey guys

Thank you all very much for the warm welcome. Thanks SW for the tips on the video games, will check those and report back.
I think I should post the problems in the appropriate forum and that way other people may be able to benefit from the advice given, that is rather than ask a heap of tech questions here on the intro forum.

Oh, and guys please understand, if I don't seem to reply for a little bit its not that I'm ignoring you all, and I really appreciate and help.
Just that apart from my day job I run a small web based motorcycle spare parts business that keeps me on my toes  pretty much the rest of the day. Its fun but demanding.

Many thanks again for all your input and well wishes.

Cheers
"Wanted" Snappy signature, please insert here......

Offline jyebow

• Forum Posts:
  • Maitland, NSW
  • GTB Pioneer, Bally Hi-Lo Ace, WMS Space Shuttle,
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2011, 11:14:17 PM »
Hi Ric, Welcome to the forum. Great to hear from you the other day, I'll send you that number too.
cheers Steve.
GTB Pioneer, Bally Hi-Lo Ace, WMS Space Shuttle, Data East Lethal Weapon 3

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2011, 11:24:28 PM »
Hi Ric,

There's lots of great help here. Enjoy the games.

Cheers
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline oldpins

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane North QLD
    • oldpinballs.com
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2011, 06:42:07 AM »
 $.$ Ric &  %)%

Offline Replicas

• Forum Posts:
  • North West England
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2011, 07:36:15 AM »
 $.$ and %)% to Aussie Pinball  Ric.
D.

Offline Steve2010

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2011, 08:04:58 AM »
Welcome Ric, as said above, reams of information on this site, together with very helpful and willing people to support you.  Ask away, as there's lots to learn, and we all learn in the process.  Cheers.