Author Topic: White water loses power during game  (Read 182 times)

Offline ricindahunting

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Rouse Hill
White water loses power during game
« on: December 21, 2009, 09:05:46 AM »
G'day all,

It happened a few times in the two or so months I've had the Mc, but its now happened once last night and again this morning twice in ten minutes. One second your playing the next it's dropped out and starts its start up phase as per when you first power the Mc up. She can't be overheating as it happened 10 minutes after the Mc was turned on. Being a novice where do I start?

Regards,

Rich....................................

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
Re: White water loses power during game
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 09:09:58 AM »
I would be checking out the power supply board for starters, especially capacitors if they haven't been replaced.

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 09:14:01 AM »
Yep - I'd be checking the TP's (voltage test points) on the driver board.  My FH was doing exactly the same thing when I first brought it home...Was just dipping below 5v causing the CPU to reboot.

Just double check your flipper coils to make sure a diode hasn't broken off, but I would be suggesting to replace all BR's and caps on the driver board.

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 09:36:23 AM »
What MartyJ said, a very common problem which is just maintenance for its age really.

Offline johnwartjr

• Forum Posts:
  • Columbus, Indiana USA
  • It's ALIVEEEEEE!
    • My Home Gameroom . com
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 10:08:30 AM »
I would question the logic to replace all bridges and caps though. Especially if you're not great with the soldering iron. The traces on these boards are very delicate, and even someone who knows what they are doing can easily damage them. Might make more sense to just replace the components that are bad.

Offline ricindahunting

• Forum Posts:
  • Rouse Hill
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 10:17:28 AM »
Thanks lads,

Like I said novice and I mean novice. The terms you refer to have me confused without out even getting into the back box. Once I removed the translite and looked at the power board?!?!?!?!?!!? I apologise lads for my green horn intellect, so how's it go in layman terms? Got any photos to show which parts to check and how. This is my first pin so I intend on getting an education from the brainstrust.

Thanks,

Rich....................................

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 10:25:12 AM »
Check these boys out, huge amount of handy info, (grab some of their DVDs too, highly recommended)

http://www.pinrepair.com/wpc/index.htm

Click on game resets, it will teach you how to change BR2 Bridge Rectifier & C5 capacitor, these are the most common problem components on game resets.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 10:26:58 AM by ktm450 »