Author Topic: Does Replacement Board Affect Value?  (Read 281 times)

Offline Rossco

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Perth, WA
Does Replacement Board Affect Value?
« on: September 17, 2014, 10:25:27 PM »
I am thinking of buying a new replacement board for a stern solenoid driver board and was wondering if buying and fitting something like this would lessen the value of the machine as opposed to rebuilding the original one?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/like/271329276460?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=107

Thanks

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Re: Does Replacement Board Affect Value?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 11:50:29 PM »
All my personal games have replacement boards in them I can't see them affecting value unless its a Kiss or playboy etc being sold to collector.  If selling to the home market all new boards sound way better than 40 year old ones

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 11:51:44 PM »
I am thinking of buying a new replacement board for a stern solenoid driver board and was wondering if buying and fitting something like this would lessen the value of the machine as opposed to rebuilding the original one?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/like/271329276460?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=107

Thanks

I don't think you would spend that much rebuilding the old one

Offline Rossco

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Perth, WA
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 12:22:08 AM »
Thanks for the feedback. I had a go at rebuilding the old one and it seems that there is a short somewhere (maybe too much solder somewhere). I may pull all the new pins off again and start again and see if I can get it right the next time. The board has been lying in a cupboard for a while now so maybe it's time to try to resolder it once more. failing that, it new board time...
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 12:28:47 AM by Rossco »

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 04:50:13 AM »
As Dan said, it will depend on the game and the buyer

KISS and playboy will be worth more with original boards
Lost World and Silverball mania, not as much

As a buyer, I am not fussed about repros, but I would not mind if the nonworking originals were thrown in as part of the deal

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 09:44:47 AM »
All my personal games have replacement boards in them I can't see them affecting value unless its a Kiss or playboy etc being sold to collector.  If selling to the home market all new boards sound way better than 40 year old ones

Replacement boards are usually improvements on the originals as well as replacements for old and troublesome boards. Unless your SD board has had major damage - such as burn holes where the Driver transistors are, then it is repairable.

KISS & Playboy are games where you would need to have very clean, updated and original boards. I have put aside the Homepin CPU boards for this purpose. They are faithful to the original, but they are reliable.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 12:11:29 PM »
I have "re-visited" making this board many times onver the past few years. In fact the PCB artwork is about 95% drawn up.

Every time I crunch the numbers and look around I find that there are still DOZENS of genuine originals available often for well under $100 so it just doesn't make sense for me to reproduce something that is still very commonly available in original form. I can't understand why RD would make these at all???
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2014, 02:05:14 PM »
I have "re-visited" making this board many times onver the past few years. In fact the PCB artwork is about 95% drawn up.

Every time I crunch the numbers and look around I find that there are still DOZENS of genuine originals available often for well under $100 so it just doesn't make sense for me to reproduce something that is still very commonly available in original form. I can't understand why RD would make these at all???

Because a LOT of people haven't got a clue on how to repair the existing boards, small issue = replace the board
That's why you see original boards for sale in the first place