Author Topic: Rage Against the Machine  (Read 205 times)

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
Rage Against the Machine
« on: January 27, 2013, 12:13:28 PM »
My 1965 Bank A Ball developed a fault sometime back... game plays OK but after all 5 balls drain, random bonus number comes up, Game Over displays etc but score motor continues to turn and Game Over relay although latched is continuously pulsed.
Simple enough fix.. there are only a few switches that need to be closed for Game Over and ive checked them all and all are OK.
Yeh.. yeh.. i know.. if all were OK then machine would be ok.. i hear you, but ive been through them over and over.. taken whole switch stacks off the score motor... pulled every relay out, associated or not, cleaned and tested.. all OK... all 5 balls register closure in the trough. Still the game continues to turn over.

Yesterday, i went back to it... pulled playfield out and went through everything... found a loose tab on the leaf switch on the RESET relay.... 3 hrs pissing about trying to find another leaf ( i have boxes of the things)... didnt have one... did have lots of new leaf switches that are correct but they are without the contact rivet and those i dont have. In the end, i solder a wire to the very edge of the broken leaf switch and close machine up feeling pretty positive..... whirr...whirr...whirr... still the same..LOL.
If you press the START button, it overrides the fault and gives you a new game... all is normal till Game Over again.

Ive been fixing EMs for over 20 years and every now and again i get one that i know is a dead simple fix but the solution eludes me. Now my head is stuck in the same loop and i need some fresh input... which is where you guys come in... so all suggestions appreciated even if it only helps me get my head outside the box ive put it in.

Offline Cow Corner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
Re: Rage Against the Machine
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 12:49:16 PM »
Rage Against The Machine = Great Band!
" It's not the right time to be sober, now the idiots are taking over"

Offline Replay

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast Queensland
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 04:28:31 PM »
great title for a pin too..

Offline Ant68

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 04:45:03 PM »
Petty I cant help mate , I haven't got my learner plates yet .

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 05:08:22 PM »
Have you tried turning 'number match' off to see if that makes any difference ?

Is the game over relay coil burned ?? (maybe too weak due to age/heat to do its job properly ?
It sort of sounds like this coil could be too weak ?

I notice on the schematic for my '65 Gottlieb Thor Bred there is a "Last Ball' relay , but don't understand the purpose of it as yet . Could that be a problem with your game?

I'll post if I think of anything else and good luck .

I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 05:13:53 PM »
Yes- have taken MATCH off and its still the same... im along the lines of thinking as yourself.. relays work mechanically when i test them with my finger but it maybe that during operation, its just not pulling in enough.
The other problem i have is that the switch stack for Game Over etc is on a swing frame and its a real pain to get to the bottom leaf switches.
Dont have a Last Ball relay on this... 5th ball is registered by switch in the trough

Offline Freiherr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2013, 05:22:39 PM »
Not sure if you tried this for what it's worth:
If the score motor continues to run:If the game has score reels, see the Score Reel section. If either of the two "zero position" switches on any score reel is out of adjustment, the score motor will continue to run.If the game does not have score reels, see the Stepper Unit section. If a stepper unit does not reset, the score motor can continue to run (actually this can happen on games with score reels too), because the game cannot reset the stepper to the zero position.If a Gottlieb game, make sure the score motor "brake" switch (a single switch on the score motor that has *no* wires attached to it!) is hitting the metal rod as the score motor turns. The purpose of this "brake" switch is to make sure the score motor stops at an exact home position and doesn't "over run", and continue running endlessly.Check the score motor's "home" switch. On Gottliebs usually at 1C or 4C, on Bally and Williams games the "home" switch is usually on switch stack #1. This switch is what turns off the score motor when it rotates to a "home" position every 120 or 180 degrees. Because of the score motor's electro-motive force (EMF) when the motor turns off, the score motor home switch gets a "blue arc" every rotation of the score motor. (Easy to see when the score motor rotates!) The blue arc is *twice* the powering voltage due to the EMF that occurs as the magnetic field of the motor collapses when the power is removed. This blue arc makes the home switch wear and pit easily, and go out of adjustment. If the home switch is out of adjustment or worn, this too can make the score motor to "over run" a home position, and perhap never stop or start running!

Found this on following site:
http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm

Hope you solve the problem. Any title with the word Bank is difficult to deal with. @@^
If you don't remember the 70s then you were on drugs.
If you remember playing pinball in the 70s you were having a good time.
If you don't remember anything,  then read about it here,

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2013, 08:19:26 PM »
Can't be the score motor home switch cause score motor is only continuing to run at game over . It has to be something to do with the 'game over' sequence/circuit is not complete .. I'd swap the game over coil with same type from another relay as next step.
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline spacejam0

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2013, 12:19:09 PM »
Have you tried giving the machine a good hard whack on the side? It's all I can think of anyway.
P.S...I'm available for service work if anyone needs me.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 12:29:36 PM by spacejam0 »

Offline Freiherr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2013, 12:36:00 PM »
Have you tried giving the machine a good hard whack on the side? It's all I can think of anyway.
P.S...I'm available for service work if anyone needs me.

Are you the famous Pa Kettle? I have a couple of radios that need whacking, I mean fixing.
If you don't remember the 70s then you were on drugs.
If you remember playing pinball in the 70s you were having a good time.
If you don't remember anything,  then read about it here,