Author Topic: WTB (kinda) - WMS No Fear  (Read 812 times)

Offline Shaneus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
WTB (kinda) - WMS No Fear
« on: February 09, 2014, 02:21:48 AM »
So, I'm on a Ritchie kick atm and thinking I want one of his more obscure (and cheaper) titles. The "kinda" is because I've never played it in the flesh before, but I reckon I'd like it. So... advice on whether it's as good a player as it seems, what it's worth etc.? I assume it's worth anywhere around $2,200-ish for a half-decent one and maybe up to $3k for really good nick/even HUO one.

Lemme know if you know of one around, for sale or if there's one to play! Or if you think I'm wasting my time even contemplating it :P

Offline Hashman

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
    • SKW Corporation
Re: WTB (kinda) - WMS No Fear
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 01:36:33 AM »
Love my No Fear. One of the longest lasting pins in my shed. The prices you mention are probably about right with $3000 being the top price for a good example with no cab fade. It's fast fun and has three wizard modes. Call outs are awesome as we'll.

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 08:37:25 AM »
Oscar had one a few weeks ago
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 10:36:26 AM »
[ Invalid YouTube link ]I have a NO FEAR. Very good machine from Steve R.

I bought a brand new set of cabinet decals/headbox/coindoor etc from Wayne a year ago, so u can redecall very easily as most have cabinet fade.
Most parts are available for this machine.

2 things to watch out for.

1. I don't know of anywhere in Australia or the world to get a replacement Back translite. You could try Wayne off the record. The one Oscar had was sold n it had a photo copied back translite.
2. The magnet gets locked on with the early software for the ball accelerator for the ramp near the talking skull. You will most likely always find that a magnet or two have fried under the playfield but they can be easily replaced and the parts to ensure the talking skull head are also easily avail. Just make sure you get someone to update the Roms to the latest on Internet Pinball Data Base to overcome locking on magnets for the ball accelerator. A member here, Beaky, can do u a set.

Great machine.

With a brand new set of full cabinet decals u can make this title like brand new. Very easy to strip down playfield and a good one doesn't even need leds, cause clean inserts/stb 44 bulbs are as bright as hell.

Great game. Buy one with a great playfield and ensure the translite is original. hope it helps. Game is very unknown to most but a real cracker and a hidden SR gem.
(did u know Steve Ritchie designed this game after he lost part of a few fingers when he was motocross riding and his hand went into the wheel n chainguard.

search youtube for No Fear promo video and watch him talking about designing the game n losing a finger or two. He still rides moto X bikes today......

or

« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 10:41:44 AM by Caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline TUF-427

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane Queensland Australia
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 12:58:25 AM »
No Fear Rocks grab one if you can, I bought mine to Fix it and flip it originally,

and before I knew it Its become a keeper. going to redecall it when I get time..

But im a Steve Ritchie Fan so maybe a little biased.. Check the sig...

Great machine to have in even a small collection ^^^
Firepower, F14 Tomcat, Terminator2, Twilight Zone, No Fear, TAF, Hyperball, Sttng....

Offline Shaneus

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 04:09:21 PM »
But im a Steve Ritchie Fan so maybe a little biased.. Check the sig...

Great machine to have in even a small collection ^^^
You have good taste! Next time I'm in Brisbane (which is never, but anyway) I'm visiting and "sleeping" in your garage!

Thanks for the tips guys. How much are they going for down here? Fairly common or a bit more of a rarity?

BTW For some reason I've never thought to look up that WMS promo video (I've watched a stack of others). I love the Ritchie ones! He's always so intense when talking about his games.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 04:11:35 PM by Shaneus »

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2014, 10:52:23 PM »
$2000 to $3000.

brand new cabinet decals are the go. The machines price will be dictated by the machines playfield condition and cabinet decal condition.

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    

Offline TUF-427

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane Queensland Australia
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2014, 10:30:25 AM »

[/quote]
You have good taste! Next time I'm in Brisbane (which is never, but anyway) I'm visiting and "sleeping" in your garage!

Thanks for the tips guys. How much are they going for down here? Fairly common or a bit more of a rarity?

BTW For some reason I've never thought to look up that WMS promo video (I've watched a stack of others). I love the Ritchie ones! He's always so intense when talking about his games.
[/quote]

Give me a yell if your ever up this way for a game...Caveys on the money with what their selling for.
Firepower, F14 Tomcat, Terminator2, Twilight Zone, No Fear, TAF, Hyperball, Sttng....

Offline Shaneus

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2014, 12:41:36 PM »
So, there's one for sale on Gumtree in SA for $2700. Owner sounds like he's into pinball (also selling a Banzai, so not a one-machine owner/collector), no photos but sounds like its in good nick.

Worth following up or should I hold out for something cheaper?

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2014, 01:52:09 PM »
check availability of full cabinet decals etc from Wayne, secure a set first, then find a machine with excellent playfield.
$2700 should be for a shopped one with everything clean n 99percenbt working.

$2200 would be for a machine that needs everything cleaning and probably the rear ramp requiring replacement plus the magnets fixing.

even if u find a machine with nice-ish full decals, nothing looks as good as brand new decals for No Fear.

Good luck with your search.

I think Jason from Pinball Sales/Pinball Memories from QLD has one....

Offline Shaneus

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2014, 10:19:56 PM »
Cheers and thanks for the tip, Cavey! Had a poke around and saw this was advertised on Aussie Arcade a week ago. Still seems a little pricey even without going by your prices (though obviously that helps), but I think I have a firm idea of what price I would personally pay: ~$2200 in reasonable nick with a little bit of work needed (but big stuff like PF and majority of plastics perfect) or pushing $2500 with everything near perfect including new cab decals.

That one on Gumtree ended up being sold as soon as I contacted the guy anyway, but at this stage it looks like a game that crops up fairly often considering it's low production run. If I miss out on one, I'm sure another is right around the corner! I still haven't played a real machine yet, but driving from Geelong to Moorabbin tomorrow to play a sited one, at least have to make sure it's a machine I'd like!

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2014, 06:57:36 PM »
Hope it works out. pinball prices are up n down like a yo yo at the moment.
I have been following pinball prices very carefully month by month for apx 5 years, and its always a up n down affair. But a few hundred here or there is not much if its a keeper or a 3 or 4 year keep for the collection.

Even having seen about ten containers unpacked with first choice, I have always paid the most to get the better condition model (if there are doubles or triples per container) and some I buy needing work if its really really cheap).

NO FEAR is a machine that's a Steve Ritchie Sleeper for sure. Just play one working, with updated roms n you shld be happy if the rear right ramp and ball accelerator are working. The video sold me, then I just got one straight from the container the day it landed and we unpacked. Then straight away I got full cabinet decals brand new from Wayne. That made it like brand new. You don't see that many around, but I believe there are quite a few in Australian collections cause it has a bit of something sporty for everyone. Good family pin or for someone who has a bar set up at home. It fits right in and screams action Jackson.

Offline piesrule

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2014, 09:14:37 PM »
Cheers and thanks for the tip, Cavey! Had a poke around and saw this was advertised on Aussie Arcade a week ago. Still seems a little pricey even without going by your prices (though obviously that helps), but I think I have a firm idea of what price I would personally pay: ~$2200 in reasonable nick with a little bit of work needed (but big stuff like PF and majority of plastics perfect) or pushing $2500 with everything near perfect including new cab decals.

That one on Gumtree ended up being sold as soon as I contacted the guy anyway, but at this stage it looks like a game that crops up fairly often considering it's low production run. If I miss out on one, I'm sure another is right around the corner! I still haven't played a real machine yet, but driving from Geelong to Moorabbin tomorrow to play a sited one, at least have to make sure it's a machine I'd like!
Did you make the trip up what did you think of it?

Offline Shaneus

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2014, 10:57:36 PM »
Hope it works out. pinball prices are up n down like a yo yo at the moment.
I have been following pinball prices very carefully month by month for apx 5 years, and its always a up n down affair. But a few hundred here or there is not much if its a keeper or a 3 or 4 year keep for the collection.

Even having seen about ten containers unpacked with first choice, I have always paid the most to get the better condition model (if there are doubles or triples per container) and some I buy needing work if its really really cheap).

NO FEAR is a machine that's a Steve Ritchie Sleeper for sure. Just play one working, with updated roms n you shld be happy if the rear right ramp and ball accelerator are working. The video sold me, then I just got one straight from the container the day it landed and we unpacked. Then straight away I got full cabinet decals brand new from Wayne. That made it like brand new. You don't see that many around, but I believe there are quite a few in Australian collections cause it has a bit of something sporty for everyone. Good family pin or for someone who has a bar set up at home. It fits right in and screams action Jackson.
That's all perfect info! The one I had a go of today played beautifully... except nothing on the upper ramp registered at all :/ Still had an absolute blast though, so it's definitely added to the wish list. About the only thing with this is that it doesn't have the cachet of a more popular pin, but I guess that's reflected in the price and not necessarily the quality. Also means that'd reflect it's resale value too but like you said, if it's a 3-4 year or keeper pin, it won't much matter. Given I've only owned my first for 6 months or so, I have no idea how long I'd keep any machine for!

Also looks like it's itching for a Colour DMD conversion. The animations look like they were made for a colour screen, it's a shame they're (currently) not.

Did you make the trip up what did you think of it?
See above :) Worth the trip just to experience it more on Visual Pinball, but was a shame that it wasn't 100% in working order. Weird, considering the rest of the game was playing super tight (except for a slightly sticky right lower flipper).

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2014, 11:14:36 PM »
Some operators turned off the ball accelerator on the large ramp to save on maintainence, which is a shame cause its a major part of the game.

Get one and make that feature work, and u will love it. It makes the game.