Author Topic: Another Williams Hyperball Tidy Up  (Read 1295 times)

Offline TUF-427

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane Queensland Australia
Re: Another Williams Hyperball Tidy Up
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2014, 01:23:33 AM »
Wondering how the plunger affects the ball wear ?
Would a replaceable brass tip prolong the ball life.
Have you got any spare ic`s for sale or could you provide a link to buy them.
Your hyperball looks mint compared to my project.
What are your thoughts on playfield wear, i was thinking mylar or thin plastic overlay sheet as I don`t think they will reproduced.
Darren

Hey Darren welcome to the forums,

Ive pretty much replicated as close as possible the broken original sample I got with the machine apart from making the tip thread in instead of being pressed and brazed .

Lots of guys have modified damaged plungers with nylon, rubber and brass but cant really find much feedback on how accurate they are afterward.. !@#

I thing Ed Cheungs link Strangeways supplied earlier in this post has a bit on what he did to his plunger, along with the autofire mod...

my new tips out of 304 Stainless which I think will be slightly softer than chrome steel balls hopefully..

fairly sure the hollow tip serves two purposes, to lighten it up for one and to give it more accuracy by sort of "cupping" the curve of the ball as it strikes it..

I read an article from Steve R somewhere on Hyperball that stated the prototypes were poor performers and dreadfully inaccurate,

so the HyperCannon was totally redesigned by a Mechanical engineer at Williams,

where design changes like the flared barrel etc were made to make it a better thing.

The PF like Dan has said is 5-6 mm red Perspex,

only thing that would make it hard to replace simply is that the insert masking with all the lightning bolts etc is directly applied to the underside of it....

I think its pretty durable thourg just some novus plastic polish bought mine up really well.

Pm me if you would like to sort an IC out..

Peter

Ps heres some of the ball deflectors I originally removed and remade, everything in this mechanical monster cops a hiding!
Firepower, F14 Tomcat, Terminator2, Twilight Zone, No Fear, TAF, Hyperball, Sttng....