Author Topic: Jet Skis  (Read 1525 times)

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
Jet Skis
« on: February 02, 2013, 08:46:14 PM »
(I have deleted the part of the previous post that came accross from the other thread cause it didnt make sense with this new split thread)

Re, pinball hobby costs or other hobby costs) >>>

Jet-ski-ing is more costly to have as a hobby than pinball unfortunately, but what can u do.
20 grand to buy a jet-ski. $350 to service it every 50 hours of usage (2 or 3 services per year) plus rego n insurance, plus $100 each n every summer weekend easily in fuel. Makes pinball very cheap. You can buy a pinball, keep it for 3 or 4 years, sell n get most if not all ya money back. jetski's are like cars n depreciate, and fuel is only $1.50 a litre, and a supercharged 215 horsepower ski sucks it like Linda Lovelace.......welcome to Australia, expensive one day, and getting more expensive the next !
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 06:28:52 PM by Caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline GORGAR 1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
Jet Skis
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 11:58:49 PM »
1. Well said Nino.

2. Mike, And I liked that quote from Mike(Homepin), it was excellent. It will be hard for me to win lotto, I only buy one ticket a year. I have always depended on working for money unfortunately. Even Kerry Packer worked 40 hrs a week and he had billions. So it looks like us minions will be working forever as well.lol

3. Jet-ski-ing is more costly to have as a hobby than pinball unfortunately, but what can u do.
20 grand to buy a jet-ski. $350 to service it every 50 hours of usage (2 or 3 services per year) plus rego n insurance, plus $100 each n every summer weekend easily in fuel. Makes pinball very cheap. You can buy a pinball, keep it for 3 or 4 years, sell n get most if not all ya money back. jetski's are like cars n depreciate, and fuel is only $1.50 a litre, and a supercharged 215 horsepower ski sucks it like Linda Lovelace.......welcome to Australia, expensive one day, and getting more expensive the next !

Dam after spending the long weekend on the Murray watching the jet skis fly past I thought about buying one but after seeing those prices ^^^^^ I'm having second thoughts. 

Peter

Offline oldskool1969

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
Jet Skis
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 12:45:41 AM »

3. Jet-ski-ing is more costly to have as a hobby than pinball unfortunately, but what can u do.
[/quote]

Dam after spending the long weekend on the Murray watching the jet skis fly past I thought about buying one but after seeing those prices ^^^^^ I'm having second thoughts. 

Peter
[/quote]

Also they are noisy, smelly dirty things that pollute the water, air and bloody annoying.  %.% grab a fishing rod or surf craft and chill instead- heaps cheaper too
If it isn't broke, it isn't pinball.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
Jet Skis
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 01:46:47 PM »
Pinballs for inside, Jet-ski's for outside.   Its sooo hot in QLD, u can jet-ski n water ski all year round practically.

http://www.jswpowersports.com.au/seadoo_gtr-215.html

But I am saving $$ now for a Star Trek Stern pinball as well. Hopefully a Star Trek pinny will also bring even more life back into the pinball scene.
Its certainly a title that almost every person on the planet can relate to/or at least recognise the trekky subject matter.
Maybe the next 3 or 4 years will help us all get pinball machines into more n more homes.

Then the rest of the country will know what we have all been lucky enough to already know. Pinball machines are excellent excellent FUN.  ^^^

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    

Offline RottyGuy

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Forum Posts:
  • QLD
Re: Jet Skis
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 03:46:35 PM »
How about a Jet Boat ? Better alternative i think. I've often thought about buying one but i'm not sure i'd use it enough. Much the same
as pinballs in my opinion.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 05:22:55 PM »
How about a Jet Boat ? Better alternative i think. I've often thought about buying one but i'm not sure i'd use it enough. Much the same
as pinballs in my opinion.

A jetboat starts at $37,500 and goes up from there.

http://www.jswpowersports.com.au/seadoo_boat_speedster_150.html

or

http://www.jswpowersports.com.au/seadoo_boat_speedster_200.html

A 2013 Jetski is very very quick. 115 to 120 kilometres per hour.

You can pick up the latest n greatest jetski for only $17,250 on trailer with all rego n lifejackets etc etc. Ready to go.
I have waterskied behind my jetski's and they can easily pull 2 x ski-ers out of deep water no problem.
The best fun ever.  The benefits of living in sunny QLD is that u can go all year long, even in winter no hassles. Even if it does get cold, u just wear a wetsuit and wetsuit boots. No hassles.

The 2 things i have alweays loved is Jet Skis and pinnys. Cant go wrong with either. And no one ever says jetskis or pinnys arent fun to share.
I am sure there are others on here who already have jetskies etc, maybe even a ski boat etc.

Offline robm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 05:48:02 PM »
If you are going to spend that sort of money on a jetski (which personally i despise as 80% of people that i have interacted with on the water with jetski's are complete aqua bogans - just tear up the water and drive dangerously close to other water users), why not get a boat?

We have a solid ski/wakeboarding boat for well under those $$$ - its an older model, but is still 270HP, can fit 7 people and puts up a wake the size of more recent boats that cost $70 000 plus.  Very quiet inside, and the wake flattens out at faster ski speeds for slalom skiiing.

I just think for a family that a boat is a much much better option as everyone can enjoy it.

This is our boat below - we have about another 5 families that regularly join us for days on the river.  Its an american built Ski Nautique and way better quality build than any Aussie boats

« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 05:50:23 PM by robm »

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2013, 05:52:06 PM »
If you are going to spend that sort of money on a jetski (which personally i despise as 80% of people that i have interacted with on the water with jetski's are complete aqua bogans - just tear up the water and drive dangerously close to other water users), why not get a boat?

We have a solid ski/wakeboarding boat for well under those $$$ - its an older model, but is still 270HP, can fit 7 people and puts up a wake the size of more recent boats that cost $70 000 plus.  Very quiet inside, and the wake flattens out at faster ski speeds for slalom skiiing.

I just think for a family that a boat is a much much better option as everyone can enjoy it.

This is our boat below - we have about another 5 families that regularly join us for days on the river.  Its an american built Ski Nautique and way better quality build than any Aussie boats

We have terrible problems in Vic with jet ski operators.

I agree with you - a family boat which you and the family can all enjoy together without having a huge impact on those around you... *%*

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2013, 06:26:15 PM »
Both Jet Skis and Ski-boats come with both sensible and dumb people on the water ofcourse.

Anyone who has been around the marine hobby/industry can tell you both funny and serious stories just by attending the local boat ramps during summer.lol  %.%  I have seen both the best and worst of all types on the water, and its education that fixes most problems, or a expensive ticket from the Waterways Police which I have seen the various hoons get over the years. Family types are usually not the problem, its usually younger males that act like idiots. U still get the occassional family man who also has no idea, but when kids n boat safety are involved, most people use their brains.

Jet-ski-ing has a huge following cause u can go by yourself, or take a friend for a nice long ride, petrol is cheaper on a ski, and u can also go solo ofcourse and jump waves, waterski behind the jet-ski and do lots of things quicker than a boat. I have had both. Both are very fun.
I have always raced jet-skis so thats another thing to add to the reasons of why a jet-ski is a must do for summer. Boats can be purchased very cheap ofcourse and depreciate badly, so buying 2nd hand is always the smartest.    Jet-ski's dont depreciate as much, but require much less maintainence.

The best of both worlds is to have both a jetski (or 2) and a boat if u can utilise both ofcourse. The problem is finding people who can waterski.
Its usually few n far between. I waterski, but my brother doesnt. My wife doesnt. And I dont have many friends who can waterski. But I have heaps of friends in NSW who can.  There is always the water-tube to drag people around on.

As long as u have something to go out on the waterways with, its a great social outing for sure, Jetski or Boat.  ^^^

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2013, 06:53:28 PM »

I agree with you - a family boat which you and the family can all enjoy together without having a huge impact on those around you... *%*

I hear ya. Mate of mine's sister in law had an accident last year (living in the USA) on one of these death traps - literally - killed her friend. Horrifying situation, haven't heard if charges were laid, but she can be sure she will end up bankrupt, but worst of all, I don't think she's slept in six months.......
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2013, 07:17:41 PM »

We have a solid ski/wakeboarding boat for well under those $$$ - its an older model, but is still 270HP, can fit 7 people and puts up a wake the size of more recent boats that cost $70 000 plus.  Very quiet inside, and the wake flattens out at faster ski speeds for slalom skiiing.

Nice boat what engines in it?

Peter

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2013, 07:20:51 PM »
I wouldnt call a jetski a deathtrap, unless u have no education on how to ride one, or if someone just hits u who is acting illegally/irresponsible.
Yes , these things are fast, very fast, but it takes lessons and education like any petrol powered high performance machine. I have never even had a small cut or abrasion in 15 yeras of riding a ski, or being towed behind one up to 110 kilometres poer hour. The water is usually very very safe.

Thousands of jetskis are sold annually in Australia and I havent heard of a death in over 12 years in Australia.
They are like cars, motorbikes, even weekend racing cars, or go-karts,  all safe when u have safety lessons n education with responsible driving practices.

Its a rare occassion someone gets killed on one. *** It would be good to know the full circumstances.
Also, jet skis in the USA have the highest safety standards in the world, just like Australia, but accidents do happen no matter what precautions u take.

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2013, 07:45:01 PM »

Have to agree with the aqua bogan tag.

We own some beachfront property over on the west coast of SA where we go to get away from it all. Unfortunately, one group of nearby property owners down the road choose to rent out their place to a group of these aqua boges (weekly rent is cheap during peak summer period when you divide it by a dozen plus of these "mouth breathers" to a house).

Every year without fail we are awoken to the sound of jetskis from these idiots flying across the harbour cove in front of our property and every year we call the marine harbour patrol who issue them with fines for exceeding the 4 knot speed limit within the cove.

Not only are they a safety hazard, but they scare away all the marine life in the area for the next few days leaving shore based or tinny based fishing an impossibility.

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2013, 07:51:26 PM »

Thousands of jetskis are sold annually in Australia and I havent heard of a death in over 12 years in Australia.
They are like cars, motorbikes, even weekend racing cars, or go-karts,  all safe when u have safety lessons n education with responsible driving practices.

Its a rare occassion someone gets killed on one. *** It would be good to know the full circumstances.
Also, jet skis in the USA have the highest safety standards in the world, just like Australia, but accidents do happen no matter what precautions u take.

Plenty of deaths as a result of jet skis

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/swimmers-jet-ski-death-prompts-calls-for-tests-insurance-regulation/story-fn7x8me2-1226281817180
Melbourne 2012

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/tributes-flow-for-melbourne-jet-skier-killed-in-race/story-fn7x8me2-1226335909975
QLD 2012

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/archive/national-old/swimmer-struck-by-jet-ski-in-port-melbourne-dies-in-hospital/story-e6freuzr-1226282134436
Another Melbourne 2012

This does not include all the near misses or serious injuries which occur during the summer period either.  They just don't make the news.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2013, 08:09:47 PM »
That was news to me (no pun intended).

I hadnt heard of a accident for a dozen years. From waht i read, it seems VIC has different rules to QLD if people only have to do a written test before jumping into or on any watercraft. Thats plain silly... People up here do both mandatory Boat and Jetski licences combined (mandatory to have both licences) before they just jump on a jetski or any boat. The water police up here are very strict, but i think like anything, most accidents are caused by the idiots/or novices who dont consider safety practices. Jet skis or boats should never be allowed to exceed the 4 knot speed limit anywhere near swimmers. I never ride in a busy area. Its common sense. I am not sure which has the worse safety record, boats or skis, but its idiots who ruin it for most. Anything powered is dangerous in the wrong hands, just look at cars. I feel safer jetski-ing than i do on the roads most days. people cant drive for sh*t....

That one accident on the Gold Coast u mentioned via the news post, at the Jet-ski racing Nationals isnt a huge surprise because jetski racing is extremely dangerous. I did it for years, and the trouble is, u come off infront of a dozen or two jetskis which all weigh 300 plus kilograms doing 120 kilometres per hour, and u better have luck on your side, but this may have been a freak accident, i am not sure, Its the first racing death I had heard of.....probably not spoken of alot in the jetski circles...but all racing is dangerous ofcourse.

Either way, everything has its goods or bads, but jetski recreational use by responsible people is very safe and alot of fun, safety, brains and education permitting.

http://www.myboat.net.au/Courses/same-day-boat-jetski-licences

and

« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 10:47:38 PM by Caveoftreasures »