Author Topic: Prometheus  (Read 2572 times)

Offline Olivia_jason

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Prometheus
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2012, 01:19:33 AM »
is this movie as good as "event horizon"?? from the trailers it seems the closest movie to compare too, is that a good comparison? or is it like Aliens more so?

Offline Cow Corner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2012, 09:08:42 AM »
is this movie as good as "event horizon"?? from the trailers it seems the closest movie to compare too, is that a good comparison? or is it like Aliens more so?

It is better than Event Horizon imo...but I love that movie too.
It is a stand alone film but has close links to the original Alien, some links the viewer will pick up on....some they may not.
Good chance that there will be a sequel...lets hope so!
" It's not the right time to be sober, now the idiots are taking over"

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2012, 09:13:17 AM »
OK - now it is rare that I 'rate' a movie- but this one is a CRACKER  ^^^

I rarely see ANY movie ads and WANT to go to see it - especially the lame ar$e remakes and sequels that I am dead set sick of - as well as the movies with endless bang, shoot, bang , crash ( so called ) special effects that have been the same for 20 years - I mean how many ways can a car blow up and roll FFS  (((

Then along comes Prometheus.
A stand out on its own type of film........YES it ties to Aliens , it HAS to ......it is set on the same planet that Nostromo was called down to in Alien and..........well I wont say any more about the Alien tie-ins at this stage , but they are there, subtle and not so subtle.

At LAST there is a film that goes deep into your head- making you think about selfishness, greed, religion, God etc .....and at the same time is full of BRILLIANT scenery , sets and a VERY different story with a number of scares thrown in along the way. There is an excellent 'operation' scene NOT for the squeamish  #@# as well as an outstanding scene in the main chamber of the 'corridors' they are exploring that shows a take on how the Universe may have come about  #@#

If you like Sci-Fi, if you like horror ( which this ISNT made to be ) and if you like something with a different story line and you enjoyed Alien then GO and see this film I say.

A MASSIVE thumbs up  @@*

Really glad you liked it mate, I find this film fascintaing but I am sucker for the corporate greed...religion..where are we where do we come from themes...so combining them with sci/fi and horror was a master stroke imo.
Yeah the operation scene is a cracker ^^^
Did you like the 3d?

Offline Olivia_jason

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2012, 10:25:14 AM »

It is better than Event Horizon imo...but I love that movie too.
It is a stand alone film but has close links to the original Alien, some links the viewer will pick up on....some they may not.
Good chance that there will be a sequel...lets hope so!

might like it then, i hated Aliens, its a pile of a movie, but if it is only references to aliens that might be enjoyable. big call to be better than event horizon. ill have to go see then.

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2012, 11:56:21 AM »
Great revue wotto might have to check this one out

Offline Wotto

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2012, 11:59:55 AM »
Hey OJ  <..>......its actually MORE that just references to Alien .......I said it that way in my post so that I wouldn't put any 'spoilers' in for anyone.

I think if you saw Alien ( the original ) as a 12-15 YO kid you would like it ( maybe you did and still didnt like it   *!@ ).......all the sequels are just rubbish IMO , and ......to watch the original Alien these days( like any old film ) well it isnt as scary and mind blowing as it WAS then - however.......What Prometheus does is have loads of stuff in it that are ALL identical to some of the things in Alien ( the ship, the caverns, the elephant looking alien monster things , the look of the sets etc etc ) .......on top of this it ties ( I think ) this story of 'where we may have come from' directly into the Alien movie, and it does it really well WITHOUT making 'another Aliens' movie from the 'franchise'.

I must admit that I personally went into it with a mindset NOT to watch this as an Alien 'pre-quel' - it is hard NOT to do that at times as your mind WILL relate things back to Alien. I think if you were someone that had never seen Alien , then this would still be a VERY good movie  @@*

Hey did anyone realise that Guy Pearce plays the old selfish dude  @@*

DW Drums rule !

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2012, 12:42:42 PM »
Hey OJ  <..>......its actually MORE that just references to Alien .......I said it that way in my post so that I wouldn't put any 'spoilers' in for anyone.

I think if you saw Alien ( the original ) as a 12-15 YO kid you would like it ( maybe you did and still didnt like it   *!@ ).......all the sequels are just rubbish IMO , and ......to watch the original Alien these days( like any old film ) well it isnt as scary and mind blowing as it WAS then - however.......What Prometheus does is have loads of stuff in it that are ALL identical to some of the things in Alien ( the ship, the caverns, the elephant looking alien monster things , the look of the sets etc etc ) .......on top of this it ties ( I think ) this story of 'where we may have come from' directly into the Alien movie, and it does it really well WITHOUT making 'another Aliens' movie from the 'franchise'.

I must admit that I personally went into it with a mindset NOT to watch this as an Alien 'pre-quel' - it is hard NOT to do that at times as your mind WILL relate things back to Alien. I think if you were someone that had never seen Alien , then this would still be a VERY good movie  @@*

Yep...Pearce plays Peter Weyland the head of the Weyland group. Fans of the original Alien will remember the name Weyland and it's signifigance to the story.

Offline Olivia_jason

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2012, 05:02:32 PM »

yer I watched alien when I was kid, it was the movie to watch back then. I was never a fan and hate more so since predictor was ruined by alien, lol but if references to it I should able to live through that, alien is one of those movies they keep flogging the dead horse. Thanks for the feedback as the trailers looked good but I kept hearing alien brought up and was concerned I'd be watching more of that crap

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2012, 05:12:17 PM »
I am a committed Sci-fi guy, so this film was eagerly anticipated. I so did not want to be disappointed with this film, but about three quarters of the way through I just let out a sigh and accepted that I was.

Visually, this film is stunning. But unlike the originality of Alien (OK derivative of slasher films, but set in space with an almost invincible foe), this was quite derivative, and reminded me of a poor cousin of my favorite “origins” film Stargate. This lacked the intensity of Alien, and each turn seemed expected. There is one overly graphic scene (I won’t give it away) but it left me cold, in a “that makes me feel sick”, but not in a good way (if you get my drift).

Alien is remembered by Sci-fi nuts fondly 30 years later. This one will be a footnote in Ridley’s biography. I am now not keen on seeing the planned Blade Runner sequel. Worth the price of admission for the effects which are up there with the best, but any film that can make Charlize Theron look plain has got a problem!!
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Wotto

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2012, 07:34:38 PM »
Funny how we all see this in different ways  <.>
I had read a LOT of reviews that said basically 'anyone that goes in to see this expecting an Alien film WILL be disappointed'  - hence I ( somehow ) have looked at it a whole lot differently to a few of you - and REALLY enjoyed it.

I mean come on people  - endless scenes like this one with the 'egg piano'  :lol..... its awesome JUST for this stuff alone IMO @@*

I totally understand that it IS a type of Alien prequel BUT I think I looked past that and saw it from the angle of a crew of guys looking for the beginnings of human life and THEN just 'allowed' the Alien links to play out as PART of this film., hence I did not see this film as lacking the intensity of Alien  - because I didnt expect it.

OK - now I am going WAY too deep  @.@ :lol @.@

Blade Runner sequel  !@#
Now I loved that movie as a kid - I watched it again around 2 years ago and nearly fell asleep to be honest - strange  #@#

« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 08:22:03 PM by Wotto »
DW Drums rule !

Marty Machine

« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2012, 08:34:04 PM »
Thank fook Tom Cruise is NOT in it, i'm sick of that idiot ruining potentially good movies !

Sadly most critics & reviews will often start with "Great 3D" and "fantastic special effects" which are perfect reasons NOT to see a movie.
Nobody focuses on the content anymore, the actual story, start-middle-finish, a 2 hour journey that takes me away somewhere else, entertains me, scares the shyte outta me etc etc.

Anyone who actively goes to see movies because "they're in 3D" or "have fantastic FX" are complete zombies, brainwashed by hollywood trends who completely miss the point!

The sooner hollywood gets over their 3D fad the better, and perhaps focus on content & storyline will become important again.
Sadly, hollywood have run out of ideas and s.c.r.i.p.t.s, so the eternal avalanche of sequels & prequels will seemingly never end, or until that fad runs dry in a few years ;-)

As for bladerunner sequel/prequel, they should have been made 30 years ago too to capture the essence of the original story.
Today, they'll just stuff it up with the current trends & requirements of "movie-formula".

Amen.  ;-)

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2012, 08:50:36 PM »
Thank fook Tom Cruise is NOT in it, i'm sick of that idiot ruining potentially good movies !

^^^  *%*

Offline Wotto

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2012, 09:00:04 PM »
DW Drums rule !

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2012, 09:04:09 PM »
You can't help but end up with the Alien comparison- don't blame the audience, Scott ends up using similar plot lines. With Alien (and indeed many good films), the art is to make the audience care about the outcomes for the characters. Prometheus failed entirely on that level-not sure if it was a fault in direction or an inability of the cast, but I simply didn't care what happened to them.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Wotto

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2012, 09:26:09 PM »
but I simply didn't care what happened to them.

:lol Hahahahahaha - so she and the head can just F**K right on off then  :lol
DW Drums rule !