Author Topic: Where do i get LONG lengths/rolls of braid-wire for under Playfield (GI) wiring?  (Read 1602 times)

Marty Machine

• Trade Count: (0)
OK, partial update, i have some more places to visit tomorrow for the braids etc....

I went to Middendorps today, they weren't much good, anything other than power cable was out of the question.

Followed onto Bunnings, found some interesting wire and bought some small rolls for trial...
I found SOLID wire, in both .70mm and .90mm sizes, the next size was 1.25mm but would be too hard to bend around tight curves on a playfield.

I also found some picture-hanging wire, it has no size, just a weight rating, mine is 12kg-size. (it matched the sample playfield wire i took along).
For some reason the picture-wire is mainly GOLD in colour, anything silver was too thick (2-3mm, or plastic coated).
NOTE:
I measured my pinny wire (several samples from various playfields) they all seem to be .90mm guage.
The picture-wire (GOLD) measures as 1mm, which offers greater current capabilities while still being flexable to wrap around a playfield.

.70mm solid wire "Wire-Pak" cost $6.50 for 75metre roll.
(this is the only length available for this size)

.90mm solid wire "Wire-Pak" cost $6.50 for 50metre roll.
(this is also availble in 75metre & 100metre rolls - i think the 100metre roll was around $22 - CHEAP !)

Picture-Hanging wire "12kg - 3.6metre" cost $5.08 - this is available in a 20metre roll for about $25 - kinda pricey.
This wire is multi-stranded like the original pinny wire - although it has 7 strands (thicker) instead of 10strands in the pinny stuff (thinner guage).

The 3 wires soldered quite easily, with absolutely NO preparation, no flux, no sanding back, no alcohol (for the wire or me).

Here's 3 sample loops i quickly soldered up....can u tell i was bored?  :lol

Enjoy!
Marty.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 06:41:13 PM by Marty Machine »