Author Topic: Wms 'Space Shuttle' First SS restoration (This could take some time)  (Read 1170 times)

Offline Pauly540

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • BOTANY NSW
My Williams 1984 ‘Space Shuttle’ is my second project/restoration. It has been patently waiting for me for over 6 months, whilst I finished my EM GTB ‘Hit The Deck’.
I’m only doing these projects for my own amusement/satisfaction, now I have the bug.  @@^
Luckily someone had previously done the battery mod and after installing some new ones, she fires up and works well.  $#$
As there is a huge amount of information on this game, especially from Ed Cheung’s web page, I’m a bit more confident after working on an EM, but I'm not that naive enough to understand that SS opens a whole new world of problems and lots of research ahead of me!! Just jiggling around connectors, I have sound, lights and some function issues. Time to switch her off and start from scratch.
From the pictures, you can see the RED has totally faded and there is heavy damage on the sides. I just received a new set of stencils from the US (Ebay), so I’m prepared.
The playfield has suffered over the years. (Which appears to be common) !!! I plan on a complete Mylar removal (I remember counting four pieces of Mylar in one spot!), touch-up and clear coating myself. (I might chicken out and get my spray painter mate to clear coat for me) I know I can purchase a reproduction playfield, but think it would be more fun ‘having a crack at it’. The pop bumper bodies are completely shot. Thank god replacements are cheap.
RTBB supplied me with a new ramp and shuttle toy.
I've already handmade my own rotisserie and will post some pictures, once I get my camera working again.

Offline Pauly540

• Forum Posts:
  • BOTANY NSW
The back glass has some issues. Apart from the standard flaking at the bottom (from research) I’m not sure what to do about the ‘leopard spot’ effect on the shuttle image. I know how to triple thick, but not sure if glade wrap and weight will elevate this problem.
Can someone give me any advice?
Thanks,
Paul.

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
IF its a keeper, I'd seriously consider a CPR playfield:

http://www.classicplayfields.com/photo96.html

They look outstanding and not bad for the price.

Offline Pauly540

• Forum Posts:
  • BOTANY NSW
Thanks MartyJ,
It defiantly a keeper.
Iv'e been looking. US$599 + US$189 shipping + taxes !!!

From my previous experience, I value my labour at a 10 cents per hour  &^& (just a hobby)

Unless someone has a new one collecting dust in the shed  $!&

Offline Pauly540

• Forum Posts:
  • BOTANY NSW
P.s MartyJ,

I just discovered a Cirqus Voltaire at the Campsie Hotel NSW. Boy, is that game fantastic. Maybe in my next life  :D

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria

Good to see the resto bug has bitten!

Good luck with this one, very fun game and worth the effort to bring back to life.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
I am not at all suprised to see you are diving into your second resto  *.*.
My only advice would be careful not to do too many in too short a space of time .
I did 4 in about 2 years and burnt myself out .

I am seriously thinking of getting hold of a Space Shuttle pin sooner rather than later so looking forward to seeing how yours turns out .
I know where theres one about 15 mins from me but the owner wants too much for it .
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Thanks MartyJ,
It defiantly a keeper.

From my previous experience, I value my labour at a 10 cents per hour  &^& (just a hobby)

No taxes due as the total invoice inc shipping is less than $1000. As a keeper game, I'd be looking at a repro playfield. They are simply amazing quality.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline wonder

• Forum Posts:
  • perth
  • just need the machine
Thanks MartyJ,
It defiantly a keeper.

Space shuttle is a great game and if a keeper,it needs a new playfield. Even if you can get your old one clear coated,touch up ect it would still be worth the extra couple of hundred dollars to get a new one.Got two machine myself and one day they will get the treatment.
pharaoh blackglass <br />blackknight project<br />NOS Playfields

Offline Pauly540

• Forum Posts:
  • BOTANY NSW
Finally got the playfield out and into my home-made rotisserie.
I searched all the usual hardware places for pipe unions that everyone else seems to have sourced, but no luck  !!!
I had some 25mm & 30mm tubular pipe off cuts spare and went to a steel fabricator for some 50mm wide flat steel. (Off cut cost me $2) The meccano style strips were from an old basketball board support.
After a couple of hours cutting to size, a mig welder and couple of old poker machine bases (good for parts storage underneath) this is what I came up with  !@)
I’m thinking this thing does not need to go over 0.1RPM and the welded nut and securing bolt allows me to fix the playfield at any angle.

Offline Pauly540

• Forum Posts:
  • BOTANY NSW
Sorry, my camera just won’t focus properly.
After removing some of the ‘easier to get to’ mylar strips, it became apparent that this playfield is beyond saving. Someone had applied mylar after the wear had already be done and you can see the blue/white has horrible cracking. It didn’t matter how careful I was removing the mylar, paint is pulling up everywhere.
My stencils have arrived, so think I should move onto the cabinet, whilst waiting for a new repo playfield.

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
Good job on rigging up your rotisserie .

I doubt you will regret purchasing a new playfield
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline Pauly540

• Forum Posts:
  • BOTANY NSW
Took everyone’s advice and decided to order a CPR playfield.  $%$
I’m not a fan of PayPal plus CPR did not have a set of plastics available, so I order both from Planetary who take visa card at checkout. (They also stock old CPR’s plastics)
Planetary worked out a bit cheaper, especially shipping via FedEx, so I 'almost' got the plastics for free.  :D
My box arrived 7 working days later (with an apology email for the shipping ‘delay ‘3 days in).
I was shocked how fantastic a job CPR had done. The white and blue colours are outstanding. I must have been dreaming, thinking I could get anywhere close touching up and clear coating myself, plus the endless hours and paint supplies $$.
Now I have many weeks ahead of me, cleaning and re-populating. Will buy a new camera on the weekend, sorry about the focus.

P.S 'Wonder'
The new playfield ‘blue’ is slightly lighter, but when I opened the plastics, they have colour matched the blue the same as the PF.

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Great stuff.

You are 100% correct in that you will NEVER get a playfield repaired / touched up to look as good as a freshly screened one.

If none are available (or not made) then restoration is often the only way but I think you made the right choice and going by your other work this machine will be a cracker when finished.

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
Stencils look good... seems to be the same spray mask i use.. its slightly absorbant to deter leeching and the tack is good for acrylic and lacquer.. applies and lifts very nicely.
Clear application tape also..

Seems i am being copied!