Author Topic: Wms 'Space Shuttle' First SS restoration (This could take some time)  (Read 1156 times)

Offline Pauly540

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • BOTANY NSW
Not sure Retropin,

These stencils are available from 'Classic Arcade Amusements' via Ebay US and state they are under contract from 'Planetary Pinball Supplies'.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SPACE-SHUTTLE-Pinball-Machine-Stencil-Kit-LICENSED-/300764873866?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4606fbc48a&_uhb=1#ht_8908wt_1037

I hope they have not copied your work! They don't have any registration marks, so that could be fun  *!@

I figure the playfield will keep me busy for a few months. So keep checking to see if these stencils work out.

Paul.

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
The registration crosses on mine are a newish addition.. i tried them out a couple of years back and didnt get good feedback as restorers didnt want a cross, even if its under the siderail.
Ive put them back in as in all honesty, better results are achieved by having them.. it makes life a lot easier for the end user and seeing as the stencil is an opaque yellow, it gives the user confidence that once the last colour is removed it will all align correctly.
Before the registration crosses, the last colour was an act of faith.

Jeffs product used to be either the blue or grey stencil mask.. its very high tack and often lifts paint when removed. This type of mask is ONLY to be used if the repaint is done with household acrylics.. even then, theres no guarantee it wont lift paint.
The light blue version is very low tack and is only to be used for acrylic lacquers etc.

The yellow is from a different manufacturer.. comes in yellow or white and has a different adhesive.. its a porous vinyl that acts to prevent leeching... by far a better product but you lose the semi transparency of the blue or grey... hence the now standard registration crosses on my stencils.
Clear application tape also.. no more using the paper stuff which they used to.

So, on the surface, it appears we are using the same product... wether Classic A is using the yellow because they cant get hold of the cheaper blue/grey we'll wait and see.
But the stencils you have are a better product than the Ebay listed pictures where the stencils are hung over a window so you can see the shapes... this is blue/grey mask with a paper application tape.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Williams-HIGH-SPEED-Pinball-Machine-Stencil-Kit-/230924815305?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35c4310bc9

Offline Pauly540

• Forum Posts:
  • BOTANY NSW
Gav,
You answered so many questions, that haven't even come into my head yet.  #(& (Blue, Grey, Yellow mask)
With my first 'traced' homemade Gottlieb stencils, even with endless hours double/triple checking, the final colour was off by a millimeter in places.  ^&^
It's taken 3-4 weekends work. Base, first, second colour down and then D'oh. Completely start again.  &^&
This machines artwork does not have any original over spray, so the tack level of the stencil was a worry, but you have put my mind at rest.

My 20+ year old 'SATA' spray gun won't let me down. I still don't understand why someone would spend hours++++ stripping down and prepping a cabinet and then apply a stencil with an aerosol can.  !!!

Following Nino's '8 Ball' tread, I'm thinking an automotive acrylic paint, but I can't make my mind up.  !@#
Cheers,

Paul.

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Gav,
You answered so many questions, that haven't even come into my head yet.  #(& (Blue, Grey, Yellow mask)
With my first 'traced' homemade Gottlieb stencils, even with endless hours double/triple checking, the final colour was off by a millimeter in places.  ^&^
It's taken 3-4 weekends work. Base, first, second colour down and then D'oh. Completely start again.  &^&
This machines artwork does not have any original over spray, so the tack level of the stencil was a worry, but you have put my mind at rest.

My 20+ year old 'SATA' spray gun won't let me down. I still don't understand why someone would spend hours++++ stripping down and prepping a cabinet and then apply a stencil with an aerosol can.  !!!

Following Nino's '8 Ball' tread, I'm thinking an automotive acrylic paint, but I can't make my mind up.  !@#
Cheers,

Paul.

I've seen and experienced issues with the stencils from overseas.  Thankfully it looks like they have changed their mask as the previous material was that 'sticky' would lift up base and was a nightmare to put on.  There are also issues with registration from one colour to the other, so be mindful you may need to modify yours to work.
Best of luck, I don't think you can go wrong with acrylic or 2k.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 06:38:32 PM by MartyJ »

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
Glad i could help.

Im thinking that you could make your own registration before using the stencils.
If you tape the first stencil down over a window ( or any strong light source) and then align the second over the top.. you can punch a few registration marks along the top edge.. standard hole punch will do.

... i can see that working so long as its properly algned

Offline Pauly540

• Forum Posts:
  • BOTANY NSW
Going at a slow pace. The cleaning and hand polishing took a lot longer than expected.
As I don’t expect to be doing many playfield swaps, I just couldn't bring myself to buying a tumbler. It was fun to start with, but hand polishing with wire wheels and the smell of old Brasso rags, was starting to take its toll.
Anyway. The CPR playfield is coming along.

Offline Pauly540

• Forum Posts:
  • BOTANY NSW
I re-used the old GI braid, but installed new lamp holders. My local $2 shop had a special. $6 for a hand staple gun including X500 6mm staples.  #*#
The three pop bumpers and flippers all had different coils/springs. So I installed new ones. (Will install pop diodes, when harness goes back)

Offline Pauly540

• Forum Posts:
  • BOTANY NSW
New pop bodies/rings, as the old ones had slight wear  #@#

Offline Pauly540

• Forum Posts:
  • BOTANY NSW
Whilst re-building the flippers, the right one’s switch stack just didn’t look right; all contacts were bent down at an extreme angle. After researching Ed Cheung’s site, I found the correct switch configuration. I’m finding lots of debate about whether to use the 2.2K capacitors across the E.O.S switches.  I put them on, as in the picture; the old one was suffering.

Offline Pauly540

• Forum Posts:
  • BOTANY NSW
The new CPR playfield is 500% better that the old one. Apart from the dimples being slightly out (I did check before drilling), for some reason two ball wire lane guide holes were completely missing and in the next picture, you can see the lower right side wood rail (held with three screws), the pre-drilled holes are also different to the original. The main issue I have is that the last screw hole (far right) is way off (it’s too high, should be on the black line). If I use that pre-drilled hole, the screw would most likely push through the wood rail. I will drill a new hole through the playfield, when I get up the courage.

Offline Pauly540

• Forum Posts:
  • BOTANY NSW
This is where I’m up too. I’m yet to install the ball wire guides, just need to find the correct size drill. I’ve read somewhere that when installing wire guides, use an old rebound rubber as a height reference? 
I can see a few problems ahead of me, installing the new main ramp, as after initial test fits; the thicker plastic is giving some alignment issues.  !!!

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
Looks fantastic, your doing a great job!  ^^^

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Looking good !

You will find subtle differences from playfield to playfield. Holes in the wrong spot with the timber guide is not a big issue. I often "reverse" them if the wear to one side is too great. You can always predrill new holes in the timber guide rather than the playfield !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
Coming along well. That playfield is going to look great when finished .
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline Pauly540

• Forum Posts:
  • BOTANY NSW
I’ve made some progress on this playfield swap.
The other project Gottlieb sys 80, has been chewing up sooooo much dam time!!!
I bought a new ramp and shuttle toy from RTBB. The old ramp was completely smashed/cracked and the toy was completely missing the spinner.
I’ve had this ramp tucked away for six months or so, so was disappointed that the ramp metal flaps had started to rust.
I’ve tried WD40, Silvo and cutting compound, but it won’t budge.
The (semi original) toy seemed to be the correct type, including stickers, but completely missing the spinner mechanism.