Author Topic: Fishtales rescue  (Read 2396 times)

Offline robm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
Re: Fishtales rescue
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2013, 10:56:52 AM »
So now have the headbox mostly back together.  Cleaned all the boards up - still have to test the soundboard as it had exploding caps - i replaced them, but am yet to power it up.  Flame polished the topper cover which made a fair difference.  I also put blue and green LEDs in the topper - will see how it looks once powered up.  I also added new fuse listings, but did this after i tool the picture.

And a pic with the decals installed

I did the headbox and front of cabinet dry, and also added a sheet of polystyrene where the coin dorr cutout is, to stop the decal sagging

Then my wife helped me do one side decal - we did it the wet method - sprayed some detergent on the back of the sticker and on the cabinet (needs to be well sealed prior to application), and put the decal down.  After trying this, i'm a big fan of the wet method, simply because it gives you time to smooth out any air pockets very easily with a squeegee.  Some people have mentioned that they can move the whole decal around, but i certainly couldn't do that (not that i needed to as i aligned it before application.  I actually stuck the back 100mm or down dry, so it was aligned perfectly, then did the rest wet.

Have also been spending time cleaning and polishing all the cabinet hardware - painting all the bolt heads in satin black so they look like new.

The fishing reel/launcher was very crusty with heaps of gunge and very dull looking.  Cleaned this up with the wire brush, then prepsol, then etch primer, then hit it with some chrome paint - came up great i reckon!