Author Topic: Fishtales rescue  (Read 2366 times)

Offline robm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
Re: Fishtales rescue
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2013, 10:56:52 AM »
So now have the headbox mostly back together.  Cleaned all the boards up - still have to test the soundboard as it had exploding caps - i replaced them, but am yet to power it up.  Flame polished the topper cover which made a fair difference.  I also put blue and green LEDs in the topper - will see how it looks once powered up.  I also added new fuse listings, but did this after i tool the picture.

And a pic with the decals installed

I did the headbox and front of cabinet dry, and also added a sheet of polystyrene where the coin dorr cutout is, to stop the decal sagging

Then my wife helped me do one side decal - we did it the wet method - sprayed some detergent on the back of the sticker and on the cabinet (needs to be well sealed prior to application), and put the decal down.  After trying this, i'm a big fan of the wet method, simply because it gives you time to smooth out any air pockets very easily with a squeegee.  Some people have mentioned that they can move the whole decal around, but i certainly couldn't do that (not that i needed to as i aligned it before application.  I actually stuck the back 100mm or down dry, so it was aligned perfectly, then did the rest wet.

Have also been spending time cleaning and polishing all the cabinet hardware - painting all the bolt heads in satin black so they look like new.

The fishing reel/launcher was very crusty with heaps of gunge and very dull looking.  Cleaned this up with the wire brush, then prepsol, then etch primer, then hit it with some chrome paint - came up great i reckon!

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2013, 01:40:22 PM »
It looks amazing. Superb effort.
You shld get good money for this Fishtales machine if u sell it because its terrific now that its redecalled n all shopped properly.
Stock un-shopped ones not redecalled go for $2500 usually without any hassles so u shld get a grand or more over the stock money easily to the right buyer who wants a really beaut fishtales. Great fun game as well.

Great job.  ^^^
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2013, 07:45:21 PM »

I'm glad the machines ended up in the right hands. A real credit to your patience and dedication. I'll be watching all these games restored back from the dead (if you continue with resto threads  *%*).

what an amazing restoration.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline robm

• Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2013, 11:02:34 AM »
Got the other main decal on no worries, then cleaned up the last of the bits and pieces all lying around and started putting it back together.

Felt protectors for the headbox hinges

Then put the head on, as well as new rails, shooter, new flipper buttons and the cabinet wiring loom

Also installed a new woofer from Jaycar, put most of the wiring in corro conduit, which looks so much nicer than factory

I then went around and tested all the earths back to the the plug, and all was good.

Since all the boards were in and main wiring harness without the playfield i decided to fire it up.  I had previously tested all the boards, but not the sound board since many of the original tantalum capacitors threw mini fireballs at me....i replaced them with electrolytic caps and........everything powered up nicely with no smoke!! I should never have doubted my repairs!  The CPU booted up fine as well.  Next step will be to put the playfield back in and test from there.

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2013, 11:33:45 AM »
Been following this thread with much interest.. looking VERY NICE indeed  ^^^ ^^^ @@* @@*

I just looked again at the pics in the start of the thread, hard to believe its the same game.. looks brand new!!

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2013, 11:43:48 AM »
+1

You should be very proud of the work put in and the end result.

Offline robm

• Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2013, 07:39:43 PM »

I dropped the playfield in and plugged everything in, and........no display, no sound, two blown flipper fuses after a few seconds BUT, some very pretty lights!  So was good to see it all lit up -  unfortunately i'm not a good enough photographer to capture it, but this is a machine that LEDs really lend themselves to.

So after some board swapping, there must be an issue with the fliptronics board, display board and sound board - even though they powered up, they did not do their job.  The sound sounded like farts in a bathtub trhough crackly speakers - swapped the sound board with a good one and it works fine, so assuming its something to do with the amp chip????

Anyway, since then i've had a few games - its super fast but plays perfectly (after a few minor switch adjustments). Very happy with the result and will try and throw a quick video up later

Enjoy the pics

You cna't see it here - but i put a mixture of blue and green LEDs in the topper and it looks great - also a red one in the fish's eye

Oh - and just for a giggle, here is the first couple of looks at the machine

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2013, 07:56:00 PM »
Unbelievable transformation!!!

I just look at all that possum piss and crud and see a wreck... you didnt.
What can i say apart from im gobsmacked!

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2013, 08:08:11 PM »
Unbelievable transformation!!!

I just look at all that possum piss and crud and see a wreck... you didnt.
What can i say apart from im gobsmacked!

+1- brilliant effort!!  #*#
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2013, 08:15:58 PM »
awesome Rob, congrats, looks great.
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline howzat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2013, 09:35:21 PM »
Wow  you would not  think its the same game     amazing job   you really have spent some time  but well worth it

So which one is next :lol       Howzat                   

Offline ausrhino

• Forum Posts:
  • Dalby
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2013, 09:47:32 PM »
Well done.

Offline noj472

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat, Victoria
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2013, 11:35:42 PM »
You've got my vote!!  ROBM FOR PM   (PINBALL MAESTRO)

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2013, 01:03:59 AM »
 $$( $$( $$( awesome  $$( $$( $$(
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2013, 09:02:22 AM »
I said it before & i'll say it again... Hard to believe its the same machine!!

FAN BLOODY TASTIC  effort @@* @@* @@*