Author Topic: Hankin Pinball MPU project started  (Read 6409 times)

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
Re: Hankin Pinball MPU project started
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2012, 05:29:54 PM »
Well the couple of missing caps finally showed and I was able to crank up this new board. I was a little unsure about the correct jumpers to use for 2716 but after sorting that out the board fired right up on the bench  $#$

Changes:

Nice gold heatsink with better thermal properties
Addition of a 10A plug and socket for 12V connection (bottom left - green) Doesn't have to be used but improves reliability if you do.
Replacement of the memory ni-cad with a CR2032 or provision for supercap
Addition of an 'on board' test switch for entering test mode (center right)
Many legends with almost all parts marked on the board with their value as well as part number.
Replacement of IC4 - the 5101 RAM with a more common 6116 - (much cheaper and easier to get)
Use of Genuine, 100% original NOS Hankin masked ROM for IC2

I am waiting on a friend to loan me his (non working) Hankin Empire Strikes Back machine so I can run it up in the game before putting them up for sale.

Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2012, 08:16:07 PM »
Been following this thread with much interest  *%*

Awesome work Mike  ^^^ ^^^

Offline goodolddays

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2012, 02:10:44 PM »
Congrats Mike .. great work  ^^^
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline visionman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2013, 09:41:40 AM »
this is great work !!!!!!!!!!!

v

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2013, 04:08:25 AM »
where are all the leds that r****n dog put on their boards near the test points that really serve no purpose?  !@#
Where are all the custom SMD I.C.s that you cant buy that p**led put on their boards?  !@#
Why are all the traces so thick?  !@#
Why do you have Machined I.C. sockets fitted to the main I.C.s ? do you expect us to replace components instead of buying a whole new board if something in our machine causes one of these components to fail?  !@#

%.% %.% %.% %.% %.% %.% %.%

Well done Mike. I have repaired an after market pinball board  made by every modern company except for home pin  !@# i really can't understand why?  :tumble:
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2013, 08:34:32 AM »
I have repaired an after market pinball board  made by every modern company except for home pin  !@# i really can't understand why? 

The answer is very simple - all of the replacement board companies are businesses out to make maximum profit - there is nothing wrong with that BUT it means they cut corners and use switching power supplies and surface mount parts because they can assemble their boards by machine.

All well and good BUT they don't produce a product that will last or can be repaired easily, if at all!

All Homepin boards are hand assembled by qualified electronics engineers who are ALSO pinball enthusiasts - it makes a BIG difference. Homepin is a hobby business and it is not the intention to maximise profits but to make replacement boards that will outlast the originals. There isn't a lot of point buying a replacement board if, when it gives trouble, you have to throw it away and buy another - madness!

Thank's for the vote of confidence in my work.
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals