Author Topic: New feature - Ignore User  (Read 26174 times)

Offline GORGAR 1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
Re: New feature - Ignore User
« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2013, 11:29:12 AM »
I feel left out - surely I'm enough of a shit stirrer to have annoyed at least ONE member here  <.>

Ignored by:    0 member

That is a surprise :-)

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2013, 11:41:25 AM »
I have three, but my goal is to catch Cavey.  *%*

Like Nick(Pinnies4me) has said, "There will be user accounts that have just been created by persons who for whatever reason" etc etc.
I am sure some have opened multiple new accounts just to ignore me and lift the numbers.
Be happy Andy(Rottyguy) that your threads n posts wont get hacked in the future now that your detractors will be ignoring you.

As for multiple AP accounts, anyone doing such a thing, shld realise that their I.P address will come up multiple times against multiple user accounts so its not like people in the know cant see and work out who is playing silly buggers.
In a week or two, the ignore thing will be old news, and people can focus back on pinball and the funside of the hobby.
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline coon82

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2013, 11:44:08 AM »
It's a shame there's a need for a ignore user function IMO. I won't be using this function - seems too much like Censorship....

Anyway good to see some light hearted humour this thread. It's generally what can be said about the site and what Aussie Pinball should be!
Wanted:   Black Hole (1981Gottlieb)

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2013, 11:47:51 AM »
It's a shame there's a need for a ignore user function IMO. I won't be using this function - seems too much like Censorship...

Censorship?
I think of it being a reminder not to take things too seriously

we are here to talk pinball, not to solve the worlds problems

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2013, 11:56:37 AM »
It's a shame there's a need for a ignore user function IMO. I won't be using this function - seems too much like Censorship...

Censorship?

I don't think its a form of censorship. I got a PM barrelling for my comment about the ignore count. WTF LIKE I SAID I HAVE F@&king FAT FINGERS AND WHEN I HIT THE PAGE NUMBER LINK I HIT IGNORE AND I WENT TO THEIR PROFILE. Thats when I saw the field.

I think the ignore may be a good thing if some people seem to want to argue about the smallest of things. My bet this topic will turn into a full on arguement and mirade of slanging posts. You get ignored....fine.....treat as a wake up call or treat it as the other person is missing out on your contributions. Theres no big deal or is there. I dont think its going to change oz and our rights in anyway???
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline coon82

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2013, 12:21:42 PM »
[quoteI think the ignore may be a good thing if some people seem to want to argue about the smallest of things. My bet this topic will turn into a full on arguement and mirade of slanging posts. You get ignored....fine.....treat as a wake up call or treat it as the other person is missing out on your contributions. Theres no big deal or is there. I dont think its going to change oz and our rights in anyway???][/quote]

That what it comes down to.
Censorship maybe a bit of a strong term - But I mean it in a self imposed form.
Those that feel it's necessary will use it, those that don't won't.

+1
Wanted:   Black Hole (1981Gottlieb)

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2013, 12:41:01 PM »
[quoteI think the ignore may be a good thing if some people seem to want to argue about the smallest of things. My bet this topic will turn into a full on arguement and mirade of slanging posts. You get ignored....fine.....treat as a wake up call or treat it as the other person is missing out on your contributions. Theres no big deal or is there. I dont think its going to change oz and our rights in anyway???]

That what it comes down to.
Censorship maybe a bit of a strong term - But I mean it in a self imposed form.
Those that feel it's necessary will use it, those that don't won't.

+1
[/quote]Thanks for understanding
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2013, 01:07:35 PM »

We did originally specify this topic for technical issues, however I am appreciating the comments that are being made, so we'll keep it open to general discussion for the moment, we can always separate the discussion out to a separate thread if needed.

As I have stated publicly previously, I was not in favour of this add-on, however recent events made it seem a better option to us than some alternatives Strangeways and I have considered (and are still investigating and considering).

A couple of guys have made some very valid observations. It is not censorship in any form as the reader has always had the option to ignore anything they didn't like, or any member they could not bear reading prattling on. But that's hard to do - the "train wreck" psychology of just having to read (and I am absolutely guilty of this on all counts of this) stuff written by even the most obnoxious of members is hard to control. There are also the "troll baiters" - not respected members getting into a stouche due to a difference of opinion, but those that bait and encourage problematic members/topics to flame the fires.

This is just an assistant to free will - you can ignore by choice, or use this to destroy the space waste.

I agree with the "treat it as a wake up call" - while it's not a popularity contest, those with lots of ignore ratings might take stock, which is a good thing.

As for the idea of members setting up new accounts to just add an ignore, this has not happened based on the logs. Not many new members in the last week, and everyone has been IP vetted among other checks. One might have slipped through the cracks maybe, but new membership is not huge these days as most who know pinball already know the best pinball forum!

“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”