Author Topic: Grand Slam Restoration - A Noobs' Journey  (Read 1679 times)

Offline Ford Fairlane

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Yass
Grand Slam Restoration - A Noobs' Journey
« on: February 13, 2013, 10:05:18 PM »
Heya Guys,

Well ive taken the plunge and started with my playfield resto with it being stripped as far as i would dare. A clean with nifty on a rag then a test with magic eraser on some red areas... Not too happy with the result. I believe the dirt is too "ingrained" and therefore will take paint off before i get rid of the dirt. My analysis at this very early stage... Will need to respray all large areas and possibly will have to respray all white and apply decals for text. The colour difference between white under posts and white on exposed areas is amazing...

Will try with magic eraser tomorrow when i regain some patience but i dont hold out much hope..

Hope you guys dont mind a very minimal start i have made and posted here but i would like to document the whiole process, picking up tips/criticism along the way. I dont mind getting a kicking every now and then, i just want to learn from the pros.

Heres some pics of what im dealing with

Red area before magic eraser

Red area after magic eraser

Some more pics of what im dealing with

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
Re: Grand Slam Restoration - A Noobs' Journey
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 10:18:12 PM »
Wow big job, good luck with it! I admire anyone willing to have a crack at a Playfield restoration.

Offline oldskool1969

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 11:51:35 PM »
I am having a lot of fun/frustration doing my play field also. Magic eraser and Shellite ( Naptha in U.S.) is good, but you do lose some paint in the process! I am going to do some touch ups also.
I am doing a hell of a lot of research before attempting to do so. Also lean a lot on PINPRICK as his work is cool.
hopefully this link will help you.  ^^^
http://www.pinrepair.com/restore/index2.htm#pf1
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 11:53:18 PM by oldskool1969 »
If it isn't broke, it isn't pinball.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 10:05:48 AM »
Thrilled to see you having a dip, Rob. Plenty of advise forthcoming!

Removing ball swirl - This is where ME and alcohol is fantastic, as the dirt has gone through the varnish and sometimes the paint. Think of ball swirl as a fine sharp knife cutting through the varnish. Then dirt collects there, the action of the ME removes the dirt and leaves the paint intact - as the varnish is protecting the paint.

Planking - This is where ME and alcohol sometimes does not work as you would expect. Planking is where the wood itself changes slightly. Moisture and heat can affect the playfield creating lines that run with the grain. This problem is not caused by the ball moving around the playfield as with Ball Swirl. I've seen NOS EM playfields with considerable planking, and a ball has never run across the playfield. Planking starts UNDER the primer, paint and varnish. So the paint is easily dislodged from the timber.

When cleaning ball swirl - you move the ME is a circular motion, very lightly and checking constantly.

When cleaning planking - move the ME in straight lines - with the grain. MUCH more lightly than ball swirl.

Addressing planking - you can use the "smear technique" of dabbing paint down to fill the cracks, and wiping with a rag. Good with acrylics. But the theory remains, the playfield will continue to "plank" over the years. You can apply mylar, and this will stop the visible effects of planking. Clearing with a varnish or traditional clear will also hold the playfield together for longer.

As you have already mentioned. You need a lot of patience. Rushing these steps will make the problem worse. My tip is to go a bit lighter with the planking, but be aware that the damage was done by nature, not you. Cleaning the playfield is removing this damage.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 10:08:49 AM by Strangeways »
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 11:49:54 AM »
I've already mentioned to Rob to also try tea tree oil.
Just thought I'd mention it here for anyone reading this thread who's interested in giving it a go

I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline 4_amusement_only

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 02:32:14 AM »
Thanks for the advice on ball swirl. I need to address a playfield that has significant ball swirl, particularly in lighter coloured areas. Will be giving the Magic Eraser and alcohol a go.

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 09:25:12 PM »
One tip with planking or ball swirl.

Its very tempting to apply some meths to the ME and attack the PF straight away and then rub the ME .

In all honesty, this does nothing at all apart from clean the very top surface.. and trust me.. this will get VERY clean after the work.

If you want to get the ingrained dirt out then you have to dissolve it first.. after all, if the cleaning agent never reaches the dirt, its not coming out right?

What i do is apply meths with a rag very liberally and allow to soak in... its meths and so its never there too long to expand the timber much... what this does though is attack the grease and dirt for you loosening it up.
THEN go in with the ME and meths along the lines of the planking... the ME is a super absorber and literally sucks the dirt out.
But if you havent loosened the dirt already, then all you are doing is a mild abrasive to the PF while waiting for the solvent to reach the dirt.. ME wont work until this happens.

Sugar Soap and warm water is also very very good.. can even use the Sugar soap neat but its quite thick and cant always reach the bottom of your crack ( LOL.. no pun intended) which is why i thin it down slightly... pulls dirt out like you wouldnt believe.

ME is only really there as your absorber.. remember that and youll save a lot more paint on your PF

Offline 4_amusement_only

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2013, 05:16:31 AM »
Just to confirm, by "meths" you are referring to methylated spirits?
Hopefully, as methamphetamine would cost a lot more.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 05:42:55 AM by 4_amusement_only »

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2013, 10:01:21 AM »
Just to confirm, by "meths" you are referring to methylated spirits?
Hopefully, as methamphetamine would cost a lot more.

Sorry.. need to clear that up.

Definately MethAmphetamine or Sugar Soap

Offline Ford Fairlane

• Forum Posts:
  • Yass
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2013, 10:09:47 AM »
lol! well im off to the shops to get some sugar soap! Thanks Gav! tea tree oil didnt do well at all :(

Offline Ford Fairlane

• Forum Posts:
  • Yass
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2013, 04:08:03 PM »
progress is very slow..

But here is what happened;

1.Tried Alcohol without success
2.Alcohol + magic eraser no success
3.Tried leaving some sugar soap (watered down) on small parts of the playfield then wipe off and ME - no success
4. finally what started working - the missus bought me some sugar soap wipes which we folded up and squeezed and left on small parts of playfield for 10 mins. Came back to the playfield and scrubbed with the wipe until the watery residue was really dirty. Wiping off all excess moisture, then hit it with ME with it still be wet for lubrication.

Results arent too bad (my photography below makes it look better than it is) so i will rinse and repeat the above process (number 4.) and see how good i can get it. This is gonna take a long time :(

Here is a pic with ride hand side getting the treatment and the left side without.

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2013, 04:16:50 PM »
That looks good!

Sucking the dirt out..