Author Topic: Alice in Wonderland - Jpop's 3rd Pin  (Read 11126 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: Alice in Wonderland - Jpop's 3rd Pin
« on: July 04, 2013, 11:30:38 AM »
so who is a typical pinball customer? here we in the USA we see tech folk in their 20's, older collectors in their 40s-50s and lot's of non-pinball retro people. Most families do not buy pinball ($$$) for home use and there are few places for kids to play. So then us pinball makers should design just for the Aussie market and power requirements? Jpop

Mostly 40-50 age group who want to relive their youth. I am also in that age group and most of my restoration work leads towards the EMs and SS machines prior to 1983.

The younger guys are mainly video Arcade guys that didn't play pinball in the arcades (because there were little if any pinball on site in the late 90's). They visit collector's homes that own pinballs in their collection and they are hooked. These guys are late 20's - 30's, and ALWAYS want DMDs.

Pinball has been on the rise for the last 7 years in Australia. Advertising and awareness makes a huge difference. The governing factor is the quality of machines presented to the customer base. Collectors either want projects to restore themselves, or High End Restorations. New collectors to the hobby are not as fussy. The NIB experience was rare, now it it very common (for the home market).

I think the theme is more important than the age group. For example, if a US based pinball manufacturer wanted to produce a pinball for the Aussie Market, you would make a killing with "Mad Max". The movie has a cult following and it is an Aussie movie that was an instant hit worldwide.

The trend these days is for Stern and JJP to announce a license before the table is designed. That's not how it was done in the glory days. Some collectors buy on the theme, regardless of the design. But those days were different with all the big manufacturers churning out games every month !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia