Author Topic: Ice Review Cabinet Repaint  (Read 17152 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Ice Review Cabinet Repaint
« on: March 02, 2013, 11:05:06 PM »

This is a cabinet repaint for a resident member here on AP. This is a service I offer to customers that don't want to restore the cabinet themselves. As per all my cabinet repaints, I follow the same process based on the condition of the game. If it is a simple repaint, then it is a fixed price. If the cabinet needs major rework, then that is factored into the price. Also, if the customer strips the game of all parts, the price decreases. In this case, Dean gave me the cabinet with the original paint intact. It turns out the cabinet was repainted at some time - with the wrong colors - but luckily, the original colors were found under the siderails. So this game can have an original repaint to original specs.

With the paint matched, and Gavin's FANTASTIC stencils, this cabinet will look original, and be the base for the rest of Dean's restoration.

Here's how the cabinet was delivered to me ;

The black paint on the inside of the head is not original. This will be addressed during the repaint.

The front panel is slightly bowed. not much I can do about that. It is hardwood, and I would not be surprised if this was how the cabinet was produced in the 60's.

Structurally VERY sound. These cabinets were built to last. No chipboard on any of these Gottlieb cabinets. Just heavy and thick plywood

Here's the clue - The blue is not original, but there's the original lighter color. Gottlieb used this color in a lot of their games. Pro football was an exact match. The original red was also lighter, but didn't present well in the photo - again - a perfect match with the Pro football. But the BASE is different white than 70's Gottliebs. I thought it would be the same as Pro Football, but it is not. So off to the paint store to get an exact match / finish !

Splatter / webbing. Because I like the cabinet to be an EXACT restoration, I take photos of the splatter / speckles / webbing. This has a bit of everything.

Stripped and ready for repairs (minor) and sanding !

There's something about restoring cabinets that I find enjoyable over other aspects of restoration. It is messy and time consuming, but I really enjoy the challenge, and I never stop learning something new.

End of part 1 !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
Re: Ice Review Cabinet Repaint
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 01:33:06 AM »

I enjoy seeing the repaints Strangeways - I've done a couple now, but have a long way to go to learn all the tricks, thanks for posting.

Oh, and love the footwear too.......

“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 02:05:48 AM »
Those foot covering things are in quite a few of Ninos threads.. they sneak in now and again

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 08:23:30 AM »
Those foot covering things are in quite a few of Ninos threads.. they sneak in now and again

They sneaker in??
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline The pinballist formally known as Dean Morgan

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Berwick Vic
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 08:30:31 AM »
Well all I can say is I'm excited.

This machine was built in 1965, the same year I was manufactured.  My son bought me this for Fathers Day in2011.

It is getting the full treatment and I have bought all new bling from PBR.  So happy Nino is doing this for me because I want originality. I know with Nino he takes sooo much pride in his work, it will be the best it can be.

Looking forward to photo updates Nino  ^^^
Im a Gottlieb Man - System 1 & 80 Rock

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 12:36:31 PM »

They are VERY comfy in the hot weather. We have had an really good 2-3 weeks. For light work, they are worth the $2 I paid for them  &&

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 07:55:09 PM »
Now that the colors are matched, I can strip and repair the cabinet. This is time consuming and dirty work, but you only need to do it once !

Here's the stripped lower cabinet ;

The headbox had some issues, so I sanded it back so the finish would be better.

I forgot to take pictures of the primer / undercoat. I usually give it a light coat, then progress to two thicker coats. I then sand back with 800 Grit (by hand - I don't trust electric sanders for this step) until the finish is as smooth as glass. I then move on to the base coat - only two coats here - One thin just enough to cover, and then a heavier / overlapping coat. This gets the finish and texture even. I love the finished base coat - all the prep hours were worth every minute !

I let the cabinet dry under the sun - it is touch dry in 10 minutes ! I will let it sit for 24 hours and then apply the webbing / spotting !

Offline femto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Toowoomba, Qld
  • Go ahead....push my buttons!
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2013, 08:12:50 PM »
I assume you are spray painting this? What type of paint are you using? Love your work, you do an exceptional job.

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 12:22:45 AM »
I assume you are spray painting this? What type of paint are you using? Love your work, you do an exceptional job.

I've invested heavily into professional equipment to do this kind of work. I use a compressor and assortment of HVLP and gravity guns, depending on what the job is. The paint is an auto acrylic as supplied by paint stores.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2013, 02:12:12 AM »
Looking excellent as usual Nino.

That cabinet seems to have a much better quality wood than the cheap wood cabinets u see from the 90\s dmd machines.
Maybe they used better wood in the mid 60's ? would that be a fair assessment ?
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2013, 06:30:39 PM »
Always get a laugh seeing a stripped back em cab.   Funny how there built out of bits and pieces glued together.   Bloody well built though

• Forum Posts:
  • Berwick Vic
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2013, 11:11:39 PM »
Looking great Nino, can't wait for the next update  ^^^

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2013, 02:17:04 PM »

Basecoat has dried so I move on the the webbing effect. Very easy to replicate. Took around 5 minutes to setup and complete. Key there is not to spend too much time as we are not looking for any pattern or uniformity here. complete randomness is the key !

Prep for RED stencil. First thing to do is identify which stencil is which color, and where it belongs on the cabinet. I ALWAYS look for a common line in the artwork, something that "governs" the rest of the stencils. If this is not right, then it won't work out. The front panel has a horizontal red line. There are two triangles in the corners. so these need to be of equal distance relative to the centre and sides. So measure the front cabinet, half it and make a mark at the top and bottom. Do the same with the RED stencil. ine them up and measure the distance between the bottom of the cabinet and the start of the RED horizontal line. This is a crucial step. Note the overlap on the sides of the stencil..

The overlap, or "overhang" of the RED stencil comes in VERY handy for aligning the RED sides. There's a horizontal line here as well. This must meet the front horizontal line as seen in the picture below

Sides done and ready to paint

Remove the side stencil

Headbox

^^^

• Forum Posts:
  • Berwick Vic
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2013, 02:48:58 PM »
Think I just had movement (down there ) when looking at these pics  :D

Love it Nino, can't wait to see the pics with the blue!  Can't wait to pick up  ^^^

Thanks for taking so much time to do this great a job

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2013, 07:42:37 PM »
Time for the BLUE stencil and any touch up work post repaint

Blue stencil in position - lined up with the RED.

You can see there's little room for error. The RED circle is underneath the stencil. It must be a perfect alignment.

BLUE paint is sprayed on.

Stencil removed ;

Headbox ;

Side view of completed repaint.

I'm EXTREMELY happy with the result. Special thanks to Gavin who has to create the stencils that make my work look so good !

It is a lot of effort, but the results are rewarding.