Author Topic: Stern - Blue DMD's available  (Read 7519 times)

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
Stern - Blue DMD's available
« on: March 15, 2013, 06:24:22 PM »
March 14, 2013– Stern Pinball, Inc., announced a special promotion on a new Blue Dot Matrix Display Kit. The blue display is the perfect addition to Avengers, Tron, X-Men, Avatar and many other great Stern games.

These kits will be available in mid-April from authorized Stern distributors and dealers as well as from Stern’s Parts Department. The Blue Dot Matrix Display Kit will include the display and a film, and is easy to install.

Pricing and Availability

Blue Dot Matrix Display Kits are available from authorized Stern distributors and dealers, and from Stern at $399 plus freight and any applicable sales tax. Customers can order these kits by contacting their authorized Stern distributor or dealer

Customers outside the US should contact their local authorized Stern distributor or dealer.

http://www.sternpinball.com/Community/Blogs/news/36375.aspx
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline Cow Corner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
Re: Stern - Blue DMD's available
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 06:28:43 PM »
Maybe on x-men....not sure?

Blue would look great on a tron!

^^^
" It's not the right time to be sober, now the idiots are taking over"

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 06:31:50 PM »
blue on Tron would be great, but for anyone considering remember Homepin is in the process of proto-typing, testing and then going into production with dmd's and will have coloured filter dmd's so a great local option
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline Freiherr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 07:27:06 PM »
Should have been standard on blue Avenger LE. That was one reason I went Hulk several months back.
If you don't remember the 70s then you were on drugs.
If you remember playing pinball in the 70s you were having a good time.
If you don't remember anything,  then read about it here,

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 09:53:10 PM »
the kit will include a display and a film....

personally, something doesnt sound right to me......$399 plus postage is way too dear when u can buy a brand new replacement dmd from places like PL for $200 landed.

Also, if it comes with a film/lense, why not just go to a printing company, and buy a blue lense, get it cut to size on a guillotine at home n try n see if a blue plastic lense does the trick over your existing dmd. Why are Stern incl a film with the dmd ?? .

I have done this with other colours over a orange dmd and the results are perfect. The lenses are like $20 or less, versus $399 plus postage.......
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Freiherr

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 10:23:36 PM »
Apparently they put the film layer to mellow the DMD. Same thing done to Hulk where the green DMD is covered with green film. Some owners are taking the film off for a much brighter DMD but others prefer the original dim display.
If you don't remember the 70s then you were on drugs.
If you remember playing pinball in the 70s you were having a good time.
If you don't remember anything,  then read about it here,

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 10:36:29 PM »
OK, thankyou. Good point.

I just got a email back from a friend in the USA and we were discussing the blue dmd, and he is saying Metallica will have a Blue DMD on some models. Perhaps thats why they are selling the Blue DMD now.....

I will still try a blue lense over the std red dmd  before i spend $399 plus postage.....I know someone did a green lense over Congo and it looked excellent....
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline GORGAR 1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2013, 10:49:51 PM »
Great for Tron but where do I stop? Just ordered light cycles couldn't be f*****d modding them myself lol but it looks great and worth every cent. Cursed is coming over next week so he can check it out :-)

Peter

Offline Sgtmax

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 10:57:26 PM »
I bought a spin blue dmd a while back. It looks awesome on tron. Don't even notice the grid lines. I got mine over here for around 380 I  think but it looks unreal on tron.

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2013, 06:29:14 PM »
blue on Tron would be great, but for anyone considering remember Homepin is in the process of proto-typing, testing and then going into production with dmd's and will have coloured filter dmd's so a great local option

I will wait for Homepins display
No Grid lines, and help the China ecconomy :)

Offline Cursed

• Forum Posts:
  • Tasmania
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2013, 11:57:08 PM »
Great for Tron but where do I stop? Just ordered light cycles couldn't be f*****d modding them myself lol but it looks great and worth every cent. Cursed is coming over next week so he can check it out :-)

Peter

Plan to have a blue DMD at some point, Just not sure if it will be an Xpin, Stern or colour DMD. (not a fan of the grid lines)

I know they use the filters Cavey also to hide/reduce the grid lines that some of these have, and people i believe have tried blue filters on other colour (orange and red) DMD's but blue does not work.

Looking forward to seeing your Tron Pete.  *%* Also need to replace my cycles after stuffing the first lot.  !!!

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2013, 12:11:34 AM »
Blue with red neon charge behind will give a purpley colour with red hue... i need to see the product to work out whats going on here but it maybe an argon tube (light blue) with a blue filter in front - same as Futaba displays on Gottlieb