Author Topic: Cheap stepdowns  (Read 428 times)

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
Cheap stepdowns
« on: March 16, 2013, 08:35:48 PM »
Bought 4 of these from Ebay for under $100 delivered

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350688942339&ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:AU:3160

Take the box apart ( 8 screws) and pull the actual transformer out. 300W is PLENTY for anything pinball so you have power rating to spare.

transformers are quite a nice small profile.. ive just installed one to the headbox of a 1951 woodrail and have had ALL lights on for over 3hrs now with the odd game here and there to fire a few coils and its hardly warm.

Nice cheap stepdown that tucks away nicely.
Here she is installed..

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Re: Cheap stepdowns
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 08:43:24 PM »
I got a bargain last week a 2000w stepdown for $32 including postage way more than ill ever need but for that price why not.   I think I need a 500w for the shuffle alley the 300w one got pretty hot lol

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 08:56:16 PM »
Blows jaycar out the window and thats the last time i buy one of theirs.
300W not enough?.. im struggling to see where the power is going on that one Daniel. Mind you yours is SS so i guess the power board must suck it eh?

Offline Steevsee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 08:59:42 PM »
Was just going to say you could have gotten 1 from the 'usual suspects' for that price, if you were lucky.

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2013, 09:13:56 PM »
Yeah it's solid state and running 7 displays.   Has a constant 110v fan running plus 2 fluros and the reset motor which is 110v aswell.  Ill get the amp meter on it one day and see what it draws

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2013, 09:31:04 PM »
The displays dont draw bugger all mate.. i know its high voltage to strike the arc but its super low current and so the power rating is piss all. Flouros wouldnt be over 18W each and thats for a T8 @ 600mm... if tube diameter is smaller then its even less... theres nothing there to draw so much current as far as i can tell

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2013, 09:36:09 PM »
Wonder why it got so hot.  I did use it on my bingo a few year ago so maybe I cooked it with that.  How many watts do you think a bingo would need?

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2013, 09:42:59 PM »
Not sure but the bingo i got ( that fell apart on lifting) had a big arse 500W transformer in it.. laminations may have broken down a bit with the extra draw on it.
From memory, the zener on a BALLY display is only rated at 1W, so the draw on these youd expect to be 3/4 of that at most.. the old plasma displays are actually very efficient and many lasted over 30 years, with continuous use for the first part of its life when it was sited.. thats pretty hard to fault

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2013, 09:45:29 PM »
looks like a neat unit

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2013, 10:03:54 PM »
Bargain. Thanks for listing Gav.

I have saved the link incase i ever need one.
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Ant68

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2013, 11:49:36 PM »
Bought 4 of these from Ebay for under $100 delivered

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350688942339&ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:AU:3160

Looks good Gavin
So did you ditch the fuse that came with the unit , or did you put it inline somewhere ?

Take the box apart ( 8 screws) and pull the actual transformer out. 300W is PLENTY for anything pinball so you have power rating to spare.

transformers are quite a nice small profile.. ive just installed one to the headbox of a 1951 woodrail and have had ALL lights on for over 3hrs now with the odd game here and there to fire a few coils and its hardly warm.

Nice cheap stepdown that tucks away nicely.
Here she is installed..

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2013, 11:54:43 PM »
Fuse is on the input 240V side.. you can put it in if you wanted but theres no real reason to as everything is fused after the stepdown. So if you pull too much current fuse pops on 110v output side instead of 240v input

Offline Ant68

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2013, 11:58:26 PM »
Ok sound good .
May have to invest in a few  ^^^ , reckon it would run a Wedge Head  ?

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2013, 12:08:17 AM »
Yep - no problems and i figured youd need a few. I had a 500W Jaycar one that i ran 4 woodrails from and have put 100W stepdowns into machines before but they can be a bit sluggish. 200W runs them OK...300W gives you plenty of power to spare.
In fact Mike would be the one to talk to about an amount of these.. he is right in the thick of the area this sort of stuff is made and his staff could source for you. I use Mikes services a lot and its been a lifesaver for me several times for both sourcing, handling, quality control and shipping.. stepdowns??? Suprised he's not offering them already

Offline Pintoxicated

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2013, 11:20:22 AM »
These step downs are 10% off at the moment coming in at $22.41 or something like that.  Hard to beat at that price with free shipping.
Addicted to pins.