Author Topic: Pop bumper bracket mounting screws into new playfield  (Read 431 times)

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
Pop bumper bracket mounting screws into new playfield
« on: March 19, 2013, 11:47:31 PM »
Hi guys, I'm a little nervous about installing the pop bumper mounting screws back into my new CPR playfield. The holes are there but it'll be very tight and I'm concerned about splitting the playfield. Are these holes generally big enough for these screws to be knocked back in? When i removed them from the original playfield they were very tight and I tapped them out gently with a nut on the end so as not to damage the thread. I'm also re-using the original  fin shank screws as they look to be in good nick and have cleaned up nicely.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
My pop taught me a trick with very tight screws, add a litle dab of olive oil, and go gently. then wipe olive oil off ofcourse
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
I counter sink the top of the hole, then use a large nail punch to hammer it flat

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Hi guys, I'm a little nervous about installing the pop bumper mounting screws back into my new CPR playfield. The holes are there but it'll be very tight and I'm concerned about splitting the playfield. Are these holes generally big enough for these screws to be knocked back in? When i removed them from the original playfield they were very tight and I tapped them out gently with a nut on the end so as not to damage the thread. I'm also re-using the original  fin shank screws as they look to be in good nick and have cleaned up nicely.

I've done many and has never been an issue. 

For the sake of a couple of dollars I ALWAYS replace them with new ones.  RTBB normally has good stock of both types.

Offline Crashramp

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
Thanks for the responses guys, all very helpful. Like you suggested Marty I'll order some new ones before I install. I just thought they maybe a bit snug, but then again they didn't exactly fall out when I removed them from the original PF.

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
If you have a vernier, measure the diameter of the original hole and that of the new. My fh playfield had been cc'd that much that the holes were way smaller all round. I had to, by memory, redrill all my holes, not only for the pop bumpers. Please check the other holes for say metal posts that go through and tightened with a nut etc.

It really annoyed me. I even had to open up the opening where the pop bumper fits with a Dowell and sand paper. That central area of the p/bumper you have pictured, I don't know its correct name. So try out various assemblies prior to doing the reassembly as its easier to drill with nothing on the pf.

Hope this is not the case for you.  %$%
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline Crashramp

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
If you have a vernier, measure the diameter of the original hole and that of the new. My fh playfield had been cc'd that much that the holes were way smaller all round. I had to, by memory, redrill all my holes, not only for the pop bumpers. Please check the other holes for say metal posts that go through and tightened with a nut etc.

It really annoyed me. I even had to open up the opening where the pop bumper fits with a Dowell and sand paper. That central area of the p/bumper you have pictured, I don't know its correct name. So try out various assemblies prior to doing the reassembly as its easier to drill with nothing on the pf.

Thankfully no issue with the other holes, just these ones. To remove them from the existing playfield I had to tap them out with a hammer so I expected to have to knock them back into the new playfield the same way but it does make me a little nervous. I gather they must be designed this way with the hole smaller than the screw so that they can't vibrate loose during bumper operation. There just I little tighter than I expected though.

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne

Thankfully no issue with the other holes, just these ones. To remove them from the existing playfield I had to tap them out with a hammer so I expected to have to knock them back into the new playfield the same way but it does make me a little nervous. I gather they must be designed this way with the hole smaller than the screw so that they can't vibrate loose during bumper operation. There just I little tighter than I expected though.
good to hear

Offline Crashramp

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
Well I counter sunk the playfield to take the screws and they sit nice and flush. They went in very tight but without issue.

This pic with the screws in place is of a different pop bumper area but the process was the same for all three pop bumpers.

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Good work!.... #*#

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Well done, the rest is a breeze  &^& looking forward to the successful swap  @@*