Author Topic: LED or not to LED?  (Read 1092 times)

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
LED or not to LED?
« on: March 21, 2013, 11:20:19 PM »
Hi guys, I'm after people's opinions/thoughts on LED lights in classic SS machines. I'm currently debating whether or not to use LED's in my Flash Gordon. Maybe just a few in the pop bumpers and back glass could add to the game or option two, go the whole hog. Original or a bit of bling, what do you think? What about other classics too? If you're in the no camp, then is there any games you would put them in?

Offline PinPal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Sydney, Australia
  • Pinpal Pinball
Re: LED or not to LED?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 12:33:02 AM »
As I have six Pins I have only recently thought about changing my incandescent globes to L.E.D.s but only in my later games, The Getaway and Party Zone.
But I will leave my older games with standard globes as it looks the way it was intended.
I no with my Party Zone when it is on for a time there is a bit of heat build up so L.E.D.s for this would be the best thing.

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 02:13:00 AM »
they can look good in some newer games, but not for me, i like to keep my games as original as possible

Offline Pintoxicated

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 08:59:20 AM »
Backbox - LEDs.  Makes a nice backglass 'pop', minimal heat which will reduce wear and tear on the backglass artwork.
CPU controlled lamps i.e inserts and the like - LEDs if they aren't going to ghost. 
GI - #47 incandescent globes.  Run cooler than #44 globes and less stress on the boards.

Your FG is going to be a special looking machine.  You haven't skimped on anything yet so you may as well go the whole hog with it.
Addicted to pins.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 09:14:46 AM »
Personal taste. Experiment with the LEDs in the SS machine and if you like them, then do the entire machine. There are a lot of advantages to using LEDs, but if it does not look good, then it is a waste of money. I might try it one day, but for the moment, I like the original look for SS machines.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Crashramp

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 10:36:50 AM »
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I think I'll just do some experimenting and see what looks best to me. I'm leaning towards a little bling but not to much as I think these older games can look like a rat with a gold tooth if you go to far with the LED's.
Can anyone recommend LED's they've used successfully on this era of machines with out ghosting?

Offline Greg

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
    • rtbb.com.au
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 12:23:43 PM »
Experiment 

I would consider doing a back box in LED's on a SS.

but I would leave the pf either as is  or try Colored Incandescent Bulbs in the GI ,
I've seen that done to great effect

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 09:48:57 PM »
Experiment 

I would consider doing a back box in LED's on a SS.

but I would leave the pf either as is  or try Colored Incandescent Bulbs in the GI ,
I've seen that done to great effect

unsure if I'm correct but I think the coloured globes seem to not last as long which could be due to heat. I had a few reds, yellows, and blues. The blues go quicker than reds, and haven't had a yellow go?????
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2013, 10:12:44 PM »
Coloured globes are just an incandescent with a filter over the glass bulb part.... doesnt increase heat.
Incandescent normally fail on start up when the nichrome wire contracts and heats to white hot.. the contraction part kills the wire.

You can make coloured bu;bs just by spraying them with normal spray can paint.. works really well.
The failure of any bulb is due to how well made it is

Offline Greg

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
    • rtbb.com.au
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2013, 10:38:54 AM »

[/quote]unsure if I'm correct but I think the coloured globes seem to not last as long which could be due to heat. I had a few reds, yellows, and blues. The blues go quicker than reds, and haven't had a yellow go?????
[/quote]

I'm sure that your incorrect Rob

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2013, 08:26:00 PM »

unsure if I'm correct but I think the coloured globes seem to not last as long which could be due to heat. I had a few reds, yellows, and blues. The blues go quicker than reds, and haven't had a yellow go?????
[/quote]

[/quote]

AGAIN!!!!!
Well then the ones I bought turned out crap. Luckily they weren't from you  %$% from someone that I have had other disappointments with.

Offline Ant68

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2013, 09:32:42 PM »
I like the original type , maybe LED's in the new games .
I recently bought a 2nd hand  pin with LED 's the bloke had 6000k colour ( daylight ) on a playfield with a lot of earthy colours , looked crap .
Replace with the original and the pinball is beaming with beauty as it should .

Offline Crashramp

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2013, 09:44:07 PM »
I've decided to go original and then see if i have any urge to have a play with LEDs from there.. I'm keen not to make this machine look its best with out over doing it.

Offline Pintoxicated

• Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2013, 08:53:19 AM »

[/quote]

AGAIN!!!!!
Well then the ones I bought turned out crap. Luckily they weren't from you  %$% from someone that I have had other disappointments with.
[/quote]

I have had the same experience with coloured globes as well.  Some have lasted well whilst the majority died after a few hours of use. No idea why.
Addicted to pins.

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2013, 08:26:24 PM »

AGAIN!!!!!
Well then the ones I bought turned out crap. Luckily they weren't from you  %$% from someone that I have had other disappointments with.
[/quote]

I have had the same experience with coloured globes as well.  Some have lasted well whilst the majority died after a few hours of use. No idea why.
[/quote]

good to see I'm not going crazy, and the voices in my head confirm that.  :D