Author Topic: Guns N Roses  (Read 1870 times)

Offline Sgtmax

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Guns N Roses
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2013, 09:37:24 PM »
Exact same thing happened to me

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2013, 09:40:09 PM »
Yes I've seen the Ebay one. Same seller sold another GnR on Ebay 2 - 3 weeks ago. After that auction I sent the seller a message asking if he had anymore,
but didn't receive a reply.

I have had the same experience with that seller.  Sent multiple emails on several games over the last year and most of the time I get a reply, sometimes in a day or so of my email. He usually replies, stating he will be in touch soon with pictures, price, condition etc.  But he never does.  

Then I discover the game listed on eBay afterwards, sometimes weeks later.  I've given up with this seller.  

One just recently I inquired about a game, a few weeks before it hit eBay, same story, I'll get back to you with pictures etc.  Then nothing, then I find it on eBay weeks later.  So I figure, ok, he prefers to list on eBay and just take the highest bid.  I watch the auction for a few days, only to discover it gets pulled, obviously someone made him an offer and it's sold.  

So how do you work out someone like that?  Make outrageous offers or roll the dice for pot luck.......I dunno....very weird way to run a business.

It makes you wonder what the point of listing all of his available games below his ads is then doesn't it.  !@#

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2013, 09:58:57 PM »

I guess if you lurk around, watch for WTB posts, then you know its a safe bet there's at least one buyer, so list on ebay and hope for a bidding war. Business is business I guess.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Slash

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2013, 10:07:06 PM »
I gotta say I only bother looking at ebay now in the hope there is a genuine private seller getting rid of a pin.  The regular sellers you see on there appear to be a waste of time.

The prices they ask generally seem to be laughable and rarely do the pins sell. I guess occasionally someone desperate for a particular title or perhaps they don't know any better, buys one. But from what I can tell most seem to sit there and not sell and get relisted and relisted.

Now don't get me started on the regular sellers that shill bid their auctions either. Looks glaringly obvious to me.  The other thing I like is when you see something that's likely been shill bid and the seller ends up with the highest bid at the end. So they relist the pin saying the buyer didn't pay up.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 10:09:06 PM by Slash »

Offline RottyGuy

• Forum Posts:
  • QLD
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2013, 11:27:23 PM »

I watch the auction for a few days, only to discover it gets pulled, obviously someone made him an offer and it's sold.  

%.%  Looks like you were spot on. The GnR on ebay has ended.

Offline delarge

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wagg Wagga, NSW
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2013, 11:33:58 PM »
Yes I've seen the Ebay one. Same seller sold another GnR on Ebay 2 - 3 weeks ago. After that auction I sent the seller a message asking if he had anymore,
but didn't receive a reply.

I have had the same experience with that seller.  Sent multiple emails on several games over the last year and most of the time I get a reply, sometimes in a day or so of my email. He usually replies, stating he will be in touch soon with pictures, price, condition etc.  But he never does.  

Then I discover the game listed on eBay afterwards, sometimes weeks later.  I've given up with this seller.  

One just recently I inquired about a game, a few weeks before it hit eBay, same story, I'll get back to you with pictures etc.  Then nothing, then I find it on eBay weeks later.  So I figure, ok, he prefers to list on eBay and just take the highest bid.  I watch the auction for a few days, only to discover it gets pulled, obviously someone made him an offer and it's sold.  

So how do you work out someone like that?  Make outrageous offers or roll the dice for pot luck.......I dunno....very weird way to run a business.

It makes you wonder what the point of listing all of his available games below his ads is then doesn't it.  !@#

Yeah, would be nice if dealers had a price list where you wouldn't have to bug them.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2013, 12:27:47 AM »

eBay is just a marketing tool for pinball sellers. Private pins nearly always sell and rarely get pulled "last minute". Dealers always look for naive and impulse buyers. If they spent more time understanding the market and the product they are selling, they wouldn't need to resort to manipulating sales.

Customers will always remember a bad experience. It is a buyer's market and there are a lot of sellers that want your money ! So do your homework and there will be bargains  ^^^

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline pinsanity

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2013, 05:25:06 PM »
Yeah, would be nice if dealers had a price list where you wouldn't have to bug them.

The market for pins sold through commercial sellers is too tight and they risk having a competitor undercut their price by a few hundred and listing an identical machine just to sabotage their auction or product.

Best advice is to know the current market value of the pin you want and stick to your guns when bidding/buying. I have just imported a container of pins I will be adding to my personal collection and trust me from this experience, they have PLENTY of profit margin safety net to negotiate with.

The commercial importers should be chasing YOU for a sale, not the other way around.  ^^^

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2013, 06:34:13 PM »

The market for pins sold through commercial sellers is too tight and they risk having a competitor undercut their price by a few hundred and listing an identical machine just to sabotage their auction or product.

Best advice is to know the current market value of the pin you want and stick to your guns when bidding/buying. I have just imported a container of pins I will be adding to my personal collection and trust me from this experience, they have PLENTY of profit margin safety net to negotiate with.

The commercial importers should be chasing YOU for a sale, not the other way around.  ^^^

Absolutely 100% correct. Could not agree more. It really is up to the individual's Business acumen and honesty when pricing machines. I've made sure my prices are affordable and also my standard of reconditioning is at a high standard. This is in a time when competition is at an "all time high", and instead of raising the bar over the competition, most are cutting corners to sell cheaper pins. If the industry was regulated, most business' would close down.

The marketplace reminds me of an individual who was buying from a local dealer for years. Happy to pay the price and happy with the condition of the game. Years later, the individual dabbles in importation and then to his disgust, he finds out how much the games cost and screams Blue Murder that he (and the public) were / are being ripped off. Finally, the guy ends up working within the industry, and he sells his games higher than the market price. The irony !

The payoff is ALWAYS the risks involved, the meticulous paperwork and the risks involved if things go wrong - and they DO go wrong.

As far as I'm concerned, importing pinballs and presenting them to the marketplace should involve some sort of passion and product knowledge. Profit should come second. For me, the "hunt" is my favorite part of the game.

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Pintoxicated

• Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2013, 07:31:38 PM »
Seen this type of thing over and over again. There was spate of new importers and all started with the ideal of affordable pins, then the standard of machines starts to drop and the prices start to rise.  It almost seems that some of these importers just refuse to deal with the majority of the guys on the forums or who have half an idea about machines. 

End of the day, I know who I can trust and who I would be comfortable buying a machine from and stick with them.
Addicted to pins.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2013, 10:24:49 PM »

I remember buying a game from one of the private container importers. The game arrived with a problem that occurred during transport.

I emailed the seller to confirm delivery, mentioning the transport issue because he was about to ship the same game to another buyer, and as the issue was a bit unique, thought I'd mention it to make sure it didn't happen on the next one.

Well, I got this tirade back from the wife, "All you guys are the same", blasting me for complaining. So I responded pointing out it was actually just being a good customer, and more worried about damage to the other game - and where in my email had I asked for anything?  

I'm sure this "importer" had started out with the best intentions too.

“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline RottyGuy

• Forum Posts:
  • QLD
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2013, 10:54:13 PM »
My latest GnR to look at turns out to be a sited machine. Considering it's currently on site, I don't have much faith it will be any better than the one I inspected yesterday.

Offline delarge

• Forum Posts:
  • Wagg Wagga, NSW
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2013, 11:03:10 PM »
My latest GnR to look at turns out to be a sited machine. Considering it's currently on site, I don't have much faith it will be any better than the one I inspected yesterday.

You never know. You might find a machine that requires a little elbow grease, but turns out to be a gem. Just depends on what price they're asking. Again, you may have a way of getting it cheaper if it is sited. Good luck with your quest for a Gunners. I still think it's one of the best pinball machines I've played.

Cheers!
Adam.

Offline RottyGuy

• Forum Posts:
  • QLD
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2013, 11:18:50 PM »
The OP has already told me the price is $5000. He has several GnR and tells me they're all similar condition. I'll check it out on Friday.

The GnR I looked at yesterday also has an asking price of $5000.