Author Topic: Price check on HO scale model train set anyon have any ideas?  (Read 4548 times)

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
my uncle use to be right into this and my wifes uncle is right into as well.

my uncle is getting very old and passed it on to one of his sons, so what he did was he luckily had a shed with a open gable in the roof section and made a mezzanine with a few access service and play holes. he also cut the size of the set in half keeping the best parts and the other half sold off to fund the shed mods.

my wifes uncle modified a few trusses in the roof and put in a bunnings attic ladder ($300) so he could get in there easier and placed some yellow tongue down and has a new area for the grandkids to play, his old property had ride on train sets and track all through the back yard so he was real serious.

I reckon downsize and keep the sentimental parts so your kids could play in a modified shed mezzanine so you play the pinnies down below and kids in the rood section.

good luck mate
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 01:07:45 PM by swinks »
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
Daniel,

Check with the hobbyists you will be surprised at what is may be worth to someone. A few years back I went to a home in Werribee and the guy had a similar setup in his double garage and it was unbelievable! It looked exactly like a real scene, cars, houses, hills, it really was spectacular and he even had holes in the garage walls where the Loco's would venture out around some of his backyard as well. Like Brett mentioned, he took me in the house and had brand ne Locomotives in boxes some worth over $1500 that were imported from O/S. So ask around and you may do yourself and your grandfather proud!

Brett

I thought their were heaps of guys with opinions on this one.lol
I went into a proper train hobby shop for the first time I my life two weeks ago to buy some stuff for my acdc super mods I have been thinking about for the last month . That's when I found out how expensive this stuff was and how train stuff is only available as very expensive or just junk. People in the shop were buying locomotives for over $800 each. I went a bit overboard for some mods but its good quality stuff . Does anyone want to see the photos of what I got if ya don't believe me.

Is there nothing you are not into or know about or have an opinion on?? LOL

Quote  "just purchased some of this stuff, and let me tell you, it is all VERY VERY VERY expensive. And if some of it is older, it can be worth alot MORE than some of the brand new stuff because its all highly coolectable and worth big big big bucks."

« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 04:06:26 PM by Caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
***The last post was screwed up with the quote parts accidentally spread all over the place.

Jeff (PinballHeaven) here is the thread to see how I went into the model train shop a few weeks ago and learnt about all this expensive train stuff for the first time.

Brett

http://aussiepinball.com/index.php?topic=10526.msg137736#msg137736

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
in Newcastle is one of the biggest hobby shops in Australia with a huge range of trains, mountains and tracks

I don't understand the scales but check the link out and gives you a huge range of trains but average price bottom of the range is $200 and just goes up.

https://www.frontlinehobbies.com.au/categories/G?%20Model%20Railways

even has prices for out of stock items so might aid you in giving you a new value price for similar items that you may have.

people might even find a good AC/DC train here as well
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 06:06:11 PM by swinks »
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
Good idea Swinksy, those shops are very cool to visit and even better for someone like Daniel(Ddstoys) to see to work out how much the replacement cost is for the stuff his grand-dad put together.
I gave the link for the Walthers USA company on the other Stern mod thread, which can be a saving of up to 90 percent off aussie prices compared to buying directly from the USA via the internet.

I will be putting in a order thru the USA net site-Walthers, so if anyone wants something that they see at a shop anywhere, or on the Walthers USA website, send me a PM. They have trains new, and trains very very old.

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
I'd contact the Corio bay model train club, and ask if a member would be happy to appraise the collection for a small donation to the club. After seeing they may have someone interested in purchasing the collection

Offline pinballheaven

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Good Stuff Brett! I did not see that thread till you sent it to me must have been asleep as usual! (((

Jeff