Author Topic: Price check on HO scale model train set anyon have any ideas?  (Read 4547 times)

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Hi guys unusual question need some advice without any sentimental attachments.

I was given my grandfather HO train set which he built over almost 20 years it takes up a full double car garage.   Most points (track changers) are all electrically controlled has mountains turntable etc ill try find some photos.

It has remained in his shed since he died as I have nowhere I can out it I was recently asked to get it out of the shed :(. 

I have no where to set it up or even store it had a guy ask what I wanted for it but have no idea and being sentimental to me I don't want to give it away any ideas?

Offline wiredoug

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Werribee Vic
Anything is worth what someone will pay for it.
A big component of the value in this is subjective because its $ vs hours.  ( I might for example prefer to pay retrospectively for your grandfathers time and skill rather than spend the time myself.

I know a train nut - i'll ask him if he can value it if you like ?

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
I would look at this way - your Grandfather spent his time and obviously extracted great enjoyment from it. It was HIS hobby not yours.

Why not look for someone who would appreciate it and use it rather than someone who might have the money to buy it and then let it go to ruin??
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Was also my hobby spend countless school holiday helping him and learning how it all works that why its so hard to let it go.  Was hoping to put the money away until such time I can build another one just not on this massive scale.

I've tried to work out a way to dismantle it and store it but can't figure out away :(

Offline wiredoug

• Forum Posts:
  • Werribee Vic
Ahh ..the 'bolted to the wall never meant to be portable' style ?. Hard to say without seeing it but im guessing you'll have to cut it into sections and do some repairs to the joins later.

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Can't find the photos ill have to take a drive and sus it out

Offline wiredoug

• Forum Posts:
  • Werribee Vic
Hope its far enough away that you get a fun roadtrip and close enough that you enjoy it ;-)

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
I just purchased some of this stuff, and let me tell you, it is all VERY VERY VERY expensive. And if some of it is older, it can be worth alot MORE than some of the brand new stuff because its all highly coolectable and worth big big big bucks.

Do your homework, get a old bloke around who has been into this train stuff like your grandfather.

Some of the locomotives alone can be worth $200 to $1,000 each, track is worth alot per length, everything is worth big bucks, and even the train carriages are worth a few hundred dollars each upwards again to a grand each.

I just bought a locomotive the other day, it owes me $240, and a few carriages each at $160 each, plus some track for a few hundred, and it keeps just adding right up. You need someone who knows what they are doing to tell u what u have.

Put it this way, give it away, or sell it, get heaps of money, and pay for a brand new pinny BNIB potentially.  *%* Hope it helps.
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline wiredoug

• Forum Posts:
  • Werribee Vic
All that is spot on.   From what i have seen the biggest value seems to be in brass loco's.

I dug out some completed ebay sales to give you a guide
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/171004531418
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/321070625497

Offline tonyt

• Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
Maybe try a club like this Daniel, could be someone there that could give you some advice.

http://www.truelocal.com.au/business/corio-model-railway-club-incorporated/geelong

Offline Freiherr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
Very expensive hobby.  I bought a Diamond Jubilee set with minimal track for about $500 a few months back. I am scared to put together because I know that it will never stop expanding once you get the bug. I saw a personality on TV once where her husband had tracks running through every room of the house.
In your case, the value needs to be assessed on each individual component by an expert. You may find some valuable gold nuggets in there somewhere. One locomotive or carriage could be worth $50 where a rare one could be several thousand dollars.
If you don't remember the 70s then you were on drugs.
If you remember playing pinball in the 70s you were having a good time.
If you don't remember anything,  then read about it here,

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Actually that reminds me I have some of the better locomotives tucked away in my shed as for carriages there would have to be hundreds of them.   
    One of my favorite parts is a building that holds coal you drive te carriage under the hopper push the button ad the coal comes out.    You then drive these special carriages to te power station and over the special bit of track and the coal drains from the carriage.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
All worth serious money Daniel. I think u will be surprised how much of a gold mine u are sitting on .
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline wiredoug

• Forum Posts:
  • Werribee Vic
he's right.   I doubt anyone would deny "several thousand dollars" as a reasonable guess ( given its unseen)

Offline pinballheaven

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Daniel,

Check with the hobbyists you will be surprised at what is may be worth to someone. A few years back I went to a home in Werribee and the guy had a similar setup in his double garage and it was unbelievable! It looked exactly like a real scene, cars, houses, hills, it really was spectacular and he even had holes in the garage walls where the Loco's would venture out around some of his backyard as well. Like Brett mentioned, he took me in the house and had brand ne Locomotives in boxes some worth over $1500 that were imported from O/S. So ask around and you may do yourself and your grandfather proud!

Brett,

Is there nothing you are not into or know about or have an opinion on?? LOL

Quote  "just purchased some of this stuff, and let me tell you, it is all VERY VERY VERY expensive. And if some of it is older, it can be worth alot MORE than some of the brand new stuff because its all highly coolectable and worth big big big bucks."