Author Topic: Transformer fried!  (Read 2017 times)

Offline DSB

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast
    • OMNI Electrical & Data
Re: Transformer fried!
« Reply #75 on: August 23, 2013, 04:37:24 PM »
Also, I hope the 240V Ballast mod is fused.

I'll second that. Also if there are any exposed 240 volt terminals you may want to cover them to prevent accidently touching one while doing other fault finding.

Offline riverinapinball

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #76 on: August 25, 2013, 08:09:54 AM »
I personally would scrap them and any other metal I could find around the house/work. You won't get the top copper price but a lower mixed price maybe around $3 a kilo. Its amazing what they will pay for. On the way to the scrap yard I would stop at a motor re-winders to see if it is economical or possible to rewind them. 

+1

I would at least look for someone who would be interested in re winding them.

Also, I hope the 240V Ballast mod is fused.

I helped Adam with this. The ballast is wired to the 240v after the on/off switch which is fused. Doesnt require any further fuses. It is wired before the transformer. So if it overcurrents will blow the line fuse and not damage the transformer.
240v connection is soldered and heatshrinked and wrapped again in electrical tape. No chance of exposing 240v.
Dan

Offline DSB

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast
    • OMNI Electrical & Data
« Reply #77 on: August 25, 2013, 09:07:06 AM »
I helped Adam with this. The ballast is wired to the 240v after the on/off switch which is fused. Doesnt require any further fuses. It is wired before the transformer. So if it overcurrents will blow the line fuse and not damage the transformer.
240v connection is soldered and heatshrinked and wrapped again in electrical tape. No chance of exposing 240v.
^^^Good work. You can never be to safe with 240.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #78 on: August 25, 2013, 11:10:38 AM »
^^^Good work. You can never be to safe with 240.

+1 Good Work !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline delarge

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wagg Wagga, NSW
« Reply #79 on: August 25, 2013, 11:10:51 AM »
Thanks for the reply, Dan. You did an excellent job on X-Files. It now looks like a regular Sega machine as opposed to the Frankenstein job that someone else had done internally with the additional transformer tacked in there.

I've also contacted the transformer company in Melbourne and awaiting a reply on costs of repairing the two fried transformers.

Thank you everyone for your replies!

Cheers!
Adam.