Author Topic: HSV Monster  (Read 6128 times)

Offline Freiherr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
HSV Monster
« on: April 26, 2013, 09:22:02 AM »
Has anyone placed their name down for one of 500 of these treasures?

http://www.smh.com.au/national/holden-breaks-power-barrier-with-new-monster-20130426-2ihz2.html
If you don't remember the 70s then you were on drugs.
If you remember playing pinball in the 70s you were having a good time.
If you don't remember anything,  then read about it here,

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
Re: HSV Monster
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 09:41:19 AM »
Has anyone placed their name down for one of 500 of these treasures?

http://www.smh.com.au/national/holden-breaks-power-barrier-with-new-monster-20130426-2ihz2.html

If I had a spare $95,000 definitely!

Offline Cow Corner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 09:43:44 AM »
95k for a car, I think I will pass.
" It's not the right time to be sober, now the idiots are taking over"

Offline RottyGuy

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Forum Posts:
  • QLD
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 11:03:09 AM »
 %.%  $100 K for a HSV. It looks like a family sedan and a plain one at that.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 11:05:00 AM by RottyGuy »

Offline Freiherr

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 11:38:24 AM »
 <..>

The engine and transmission in this thing alone costs more than a family sedan. The engine output is just a little short of a racetrack Commodore which usually cost more than $200K. Do not be fooled by the family sedan look. This thing is meant for business.
I bet that GMH executives already have # 1-10 reserved.

Offline RottyGuy

• Forum Posts:
  • QLD
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 11:49:13 AM »
<..>

The engine and transmission in this thing alone costs more than a family sedan. The engine output is just a little short of a racetrack Commodore which usually cost more than $200K. Do not be fooled by the family sedan look. This thing is meant for business.

Meant for business ? In a straight line only  %.%  I wonder how it goes when it hits a corner  #@#

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 12:18:42 PM »
No thanks - my choice is only $89,500 new and driveaway.....see you on the other side of the mountain road in your tank  %.%

Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 12:44:38 PM »

No thanks - my choice is only $89,500 new and driveaway.....see you on the other side of the mountain road in your tank  %.%

Had one of these for a short time - brilliant (if you can handle getting in and out and don't have any kids to transport).

Would like the 2+2 Evora.........
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2013, 01:12:51 PM »
The HSV would leave that Lotus Elise for dead. There is no substitute for cubic inches, Kilowatts and torque, corners or not, it would handle real well, don't worry about that.  

The next release of the commodore, is based not on an Australian floor plan , but on the GM Global architecture which is going to be a exact copy of the next USA Chevy, which I have seen drawings off, which are similar to the HSV pictured at the start of the post, but alot uglier again. Goodbye VE, goodbye Australian made and Australian designed forever. This HSV, is the last of the big V8s, last of the V8 interceptors (I borrowed that from Mad Max.lol) but its the last before we get the American junk forever.

I am not a Holden fan, never have been, because they in earlier years, and including early VE's, were usually always poorly made compared to the Falcon variants, but a sad day for car building in Australia is coming with USA made commodores and the fugly American square-ish design philosophy with it-yuk.
But the HSV is a nice car, and worth 100 K compared to all the other stuff floating around at 4 times the price.

Heres my pick of fast cars below.lol  I have owned a few Ford Hardtops, always great looking, good in a straight line, handling howdy doody.lol
Click pictures for bigger.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 01:17:58 PM by Caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline RottyGuy

• Forum Posts:
  • QLD
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2013, 01:31:54 PM »

There is no substitute for cubic inches, Kilowatts and torque 

I once thought like that.

Offline Freiherr

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2013, 01:36:00 PM »
<..>

Meant for business ? In a straight line only  %.%  I wonder how it goes when it hits a corner  #@#

Check this American post where they mention a new technology called torque vectoring. I think this car is designed for high speed curves as well as straits. With all that torque, this thing might even leave yellow 2 doors in its dust.

http://jalopnik.com/the-holden-hsv-gts-is-the-575-horsepower-chevrolet-ss-w-480918993

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2013, 02:01:08 PM »
That HSV, it WILL leave any rice burner or super charged/turbo six in its dust. I have a friend who had a Lotus Elise until he wrapped it around a pole going thru a roundabout far too fast and ripped the car into half. (no insurance either - ouchhh)
He said it was like the WRX he also got rid of, always had to rev it to the maximum like a boy racer because it just needed more grunt.

Hence, no substitute for cubic inches, kilowatts and torque. Make it handle, and u cant lose.

Also, did I misread or mis understand that article ??, are Holden finally putting a Limited Slip Diff back into a V8 that Ford had 40 plus years ago ?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 02:05:32 PM by Caveoftreasures »

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2013, 02:23:13 PM »
That HSV, it WILL leave any rice burner or super charged/turbo six in its dust. I have a friend who had a Lotus Elise until he wrapped it around a pole going thru a roundabout far too fast and ripped the car into half. (no insurance either - ouchhh)
He said it was like the WRX he also got rid of, always had to rev it to the maximum like a boy racer because it just needed more grunt.

Hence, no substitute for cubic inches, kilowatts and torque. Make it handle, and u cant lose.

Also, did I misread or mis understand that article ??, are Holden finally putting a Limited Slip Diff back into a V8 that Ford had 40 plus years ago ?

My VESS-Z has LSD and I'm pretty sure all SS's have had LSD standard since around 2007.  Prior to that it was certainly an option.

Mine is Walkinshaw enhanced and is certainly enough power.  They are not a bad car for around the $40k to $50k but I would expect a lot more at $100k which a HSV falls short.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2013, 03:09:15 PM »
U have a nice car then Marty. Maybe VE V8's came with a option of Limited slip Diffs.  ^^^

A friend bought a Copper coloured Last of the last GTO Monaros. They made a 100 or 200 special run or something of them. Its done hardly any kilometres and since he is retired it only gets a weekend 5 minute drive. Very collectable, and its gone up in value. He bought it new from a dealer at a bargain price when the economy was crap. Fully optioned up. A real nice V8.

Offline RottyGuy

• Forum Posts:
  • QLD
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2013, 03:22:40 PM »

I would have to disagree with that.