Author Topic: HSV Monster  (Read 6130 times)

Offline Freiherr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
Re: HSV Monster
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2013, 09:54:39 PM »
These are the fastest Fords and Holdens in Australia right now. Both are 2008 models. Found this on Google.
If you don't remember the 70s then you were on drugs.
If you remember playing pinball in the 70s you were having a good time.
If you don't remember anything,  then read about it here,

Offline jukeola

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2013, 10:49:03 PM »
100k Lemmon – just like the rest of the HSV’s 

You must have tested them all to make that sort of comment. What do you drive?

Had 2 of them still got 1 – the VE , one of the better looking Holden’s and the power is not bad for a big car
I just think you can buy a lot better these days for a 100k that will keep it’s value a lot longer

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2013, 10:51:45 PM »
My old VE SSV had a LSD from factory nice car and bloody quick I sold it before I lost my licence

Peter

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2013, 11:46:13 PM »
Will have to look up the fastest factory Aussie Ford for the quarter/160 kilometres per hour mark.

For years the fastest Aussie car was the Charger R/T E49, but only in a straight line.
I am not sure what knocked it off it's perch, perhaps a VN Group A SS?

Offline Freiherr

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2013, 12:21:23 AM »
Will have to look up the fastest factory Aussie Ford for the quarter/160 kilometres per hour mark.

For years the fastest Aussie car was the Charger R/T E49, but only in a straight line.
I am not sure what knocked it off it's perch, perhaps a VN Group A SS?

Ah, the E49, still my favourite Aussie car. It held the honours as the fastest Aussie car for 36 years and was knocked off the perch by the HSV 427. The only hassle the E49 had was keeping the triple Webbers properly tuned. The 265 Hemi in standard form was a cracker but the power output in the E49 was an extra 60%. If there was not the supercar scare in the 70s, the 340 V8 in the E55s would have been a monster. The politicians pulled the plug before Chrysler could get the full potential of the 340.

Offline Replay

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast Queensland
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2013, 12:23:43 AM »
That thing is a Monster! Would love to own one

Offline Freiherr

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2013, 08:27:42 AM »
Bit more info at the source link explains more on the technology and development. You need to know what your dollar is buying.
I can't see the GTS depreciating in value.
http://www.carsguide.com.au/news-and-reviews/car-news/new_hsv_gts_australias_most_powerful_car?origin=hpc1

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2013, 10:57:19 AM »
The Falcon GT in that list is good value, good buying at $70,000

Ford Falcon GT
Price: $70,790
Engine: Supercharged 5.0-litre V8
Power: 335kW and 570Nm
Transmission: Six-speed manual or six-speed auto
0 to 100km/h: 4.5 seconds

That's a Windsor HO build above from the USA. I ordered a special build 5 litre HO build and bought a Police Persuit Pack with a friend who was the Sales Manager at Peter Warren Ford in Sydney, and it came in only white or metallic Blue colour, but was basically a GT in the base spec interior and outside was base spec look, except the bulge bonnet and exhast. It was the fastest car I ever owned, and a better motor than the 5.4 litre cause it just seemed to rev a lot more.
I ordered in Auto, it would pull close to 190 in 2nd gear, run to about 245 in 3rd before it wanted more legs, and the rev limiter started to cut in around the 260 k mark. The fun of the year was the Mooney Mooney Run up the tollway leaving Sydney.

Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Freiherr

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2013, 11:16:12 AM »
Funny how things roll along. I remember the "Save the V8" campaign back in the 80s when GMH almost axed the V8. Only did the strong support from public change the bean counters mind. The same thing happens in pinball. There are cycles of ups and downs. At the moment we are on an up. Who knows what tomorrow brings.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2013, 11:49:54 AM »
Petrol can only get dearer and dearer, although its dropped from $1.55 to $1.25 ish of late, who knows why ?

But if u have a daily driver that's a V8, its going to cost more to run, but you pay for quality, so who cares about the extra $50 a week if you get pleasure out of it. Prius V or hybrid camry for the wife, performance car for Dad.lol   That's a good balance.lol

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    

Offline casperthefriendly

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2013, 12:47:54 PM »
I don't know of anything sub 100 grand, stock from factory that will beat this new HSV.

If you are talking about driving in a straight line, you are probably right. (If you can actually get all of that power down without lighting up the tyres!).

On a track though, even the "slowest" one of these Caterham's will eat it for breakfast http://www.caterhamcars.com.au/pricing.php

Going fast in a straight line is one thing, but hauling up that HSV's ~2 tonne weight and trying to make it go round corners is where it will all slow down.

There is a substitute for displacement, it's lightness and handling! ;)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 12:49:26 PM by casperthefriendly »

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2013, 02:36:43 PM »
If you are talking about driving in a straight line, you are probably right. (If you can actually get all of that power down without lighting up the tyres!).

On a track though, even the "slowest" one of these Caterham's will eat it for breakfast http://www.caterhamcars.com.au/pricing.php

Going fast in a straight line is one thing, but hauling up that HSV's ~2 tonne weight and trying to make it go round corners is where it will all slow down.

There is a substitute for displacement, it's lightness and handling! ;)

As Colin Chapman (who designed what is now that Caterham of course) famously said, "Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere". It's a matter of which philosophy works for you - some want lots of horsepower, noise, grunt and all that, others prefer to finesse a machine to its limits. Horse(power)s for courses!
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2013, 02:49:03 PM »
Those kit cars aren't factory everyday stock from factory family cars with a roof and 5 seats like the HSV. The kit cars u guys mention are purpose built for hill climbs n things like that.  I (and a few others I guess) are talking about a car that you can stomp from 0 to 160, or be going along at 100 and stomp to 300. That takes loads of horsepower.

Anything else is a purpose built race car or kit car designed for a track or a hill climb, and we aren't talking race cars, just stock factory road registered that's registered in big numbers, being 500 or more.

I am talking about something road registered, stock from factory you can take in say the cannon ball run. That's the HSV or Ford equivelant.

(but yes, those older English designed kit cars that go back to pre world war 2 are excellent for twisty hill climb stuff for sure and very quick for that stuff, but straight line, obviously not designed for that, so yes, horses for courses).  ^^^

Offline Freiherr

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2013, 03:18:33 PM »
Back in days when the Hardie Ferodo had various classes racing Mount Panorama at Bathurst, only the V8s and good sixes completed all laps. The smaller cars used to always get in the way. Bathurst is a good mix of bends, twists, hill climbs and the long Conrod straight. A brutal track for any car or driver, definitely conquered by the V8 beasts.
Recent technology is certainly helping the heavier vehicles. It will be interesting to see the new HSV offering on a good race track.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2013, 03:40:57 PM »
whats this new HSV weigh, 1450 to 1550 in manual form , or heavier ?

I know Homologation for Bathurst racing weight used to be 1400 kg's. Maybe its a tad lighter today.
Get one of those new HSV Monsters, strip it out for a track like Bathurst, and maybe the reason they (GM) are building 500 is to get past homologation rules and get the new HSV 6.2 litre motors into the V8 Supercars etc, but I don't know what the Parity rules with making Fords n Holdens equal on the track will do to it/allow it or not ?... but I bet u see it racing in the Bathurst 24 hour for sure, and perhaps a few other places with manual box ofcourse.

Whats Ford cooking up I wonder ? It will be brutal as well I reckon. Happy heavy right foot days !