Author Topic: Xenon help please  (Read 6896 times)

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
Re: Xenon help please
« Reply #90 on: July 03, 2013, 11:38:16 PM »
Big thanks to Blair (Pintoxicated) once again got me out of trouble with a machine. Problems now fixed with the Xenon. One switch out of whack caused an enormous amount of issues. All good now.   $#$ $#$ $#$ $#$
 To top it all off I beat him in each game afterwards! But I don't like to gloat  <.> <.> <.> <.> <.>

Offline riverinapinball

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #91 on: July 04, 2013, 07:55:11 AM »
Glad to hear, its all going. I would love to have a game one day.
So not selling xenon for $500 or dropping her in the pool.

Offline Pintoxicated

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #92 on: July 04, 2013, 08:52:31 AM »
Big thanks to Blair (Pintoxicated) once again got me out of trouble with a machine. Problems now fixed with the Xenon. One switch out of whack caused an enormous amount of issues. All good now.   $#$ $#$ $#$ $#$
 To top it all off I beat him in each game afterwards! But I don't like to gloat  <.> <.> <.> <.> <.>

Glad to see that the Xenon is back up and running 100% and happy to have helped.

I note there is no mention of who whipped who on the 6MDM though.  ;o)

Addicted to pins.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #93 on: July 04, 2013, 11:40:38 AM »

Which switch ? Was the trough switch wired correctly etc ?

Glad to hear it works  ^^^
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Pintoxicated

• Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #94 on: July 04, 2013, 12:48:12 PM »

Glad to hear it works  ^^^

There were a couple of things.

Switch 08 which I will call the ball eject switch wasn't registering when the ball was sitting on it.  When Adam pushed the ball a bit it was enough for the switch to register and he could start a game.  I adjusted the switch arm as well as cleaning the leaf contacts which were pretty dirty and that solved that problem.

Switch 28 which is the switch that was being concentrated on throughout the thread wasn't wired correctly.  We had a look at the pics of other Xenon owner's switches and couldn't confirm that they were the exact same switch so we couldn't guarantee that just copying the way someone else's machine was wired up was necessarily going to work for this machine.  After a bit of trial and error, we found a configuration that worked...the ball ejected when it was supposed to with only one ball at a time being loaded into the shooter lane as opposed to having both balls eject.  This all in turn got the tube kickout working properly as well seeing as it was on the same column in the switch matrix.  

Adam may be able to upload a pic of the way we ended up wiring switch 28 ????

« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 12:50:49 PM by Pintoxicated »
Addicted to pins.

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #95 on: July 04, 2013, 05:42:46 PM »
well done  #*#
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline Crashramp

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #96 on: July 05, 2013, 06:26:09 AM »
Glad to hear, its all going. I would love to have a game one day.
So not selling xenon for $500 or dropping her in the pool.

Thanks again for all of your advice to Dan and yes it is once again safe from the pool.
Your also most welcome to drop in for a game if your ever down Albury way. Once I've finished the Flash Gordon I'll defiantly be holding a meet around at my place. With a bit of luck I'll have a few more games by then too. In fact I have another of my wish list machine to pick up in Melbourne night!

Glad to see that the Xenon is back up and running 100% and happy to have helped.

I note there is no mention of who whipped who on the 6MDM though.  ;o)

No, no mention of that. I didn't want to ruin a good story with all the facts!  <.>  %.%

Offline Crashramp

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #97 on: July 05, 2013, 06:41:21 AM »

Glad to hear it works  ^^^

As Blair has said Switch 8 was the culprit. After playing the game quite a few times last night switch 28 the micro switch has some intermittent problems where it kicks out two balls at a time but after looking for a replacement switch by googling Xenon micro switch I actually found that this is a very common problem with this switch there's quite a few other different forum posts with the same problem. Apparently it's all in the positioning of the switch arm itself. I will need to make some adjustments so its sitting in exactly the right spot other wise I'll sometimes have two balls at a time load into the shooter lane. I'm out of town tonight so I'm hopeful that this is minor and its easily adjusted tomorrow.

well done  #*#

Thanks mate

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #98 on: July 06, 2013, 12:06:15 AM »
Good result an have taken note for future ref on my ss games
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline 63wizz

• Forum Posts:
  • Tasmania
    • My Pinball Collection
« Reply #99 on: April 24, 2016, 07:05:01 PM »
Hi Guys, Ive got a Xenon as well, and its been playing beautiful for years, a little while back it started to do the old two balls in the shooter lane
as mentioned in this thread, i cleaned switch contacts on switches 08 and 02 it would play ok for a while then start the two ball thing again,
i remember this thread from along time ago and tried some of the tips from other members.
the switch test checked out ok as well.
I finally found the problem, i took off the apron and watched the balls doing there thing, the 2nd ball would just go straight through to the shooter lane
and join the other ball that was already sitting there waiting to be plunged.
so i started activating switches with my finger, first switch 28 then hold down switch 02 where the ball should wait, the kicker did not attempt to kick out the second ball (my finger),
but when putting the ball through it would play up.
turns out that the ball was activating both switches 28 and 02 at the same time, when adjusting the switches properly the problem was solved.
on my machine there is a very fine line between switch 28 turning off and switch 02 switching on.
Hope this may help someone in the future.

Ian

Offline Crashramp

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #100 on: April 24, 2016, 07:17:23 PM »
Hi Guys, Ive got a Xenon as well, and its been playing beautiful for years, a little while back it started to do the old two balls in the shooter lane
as mentioned in this thread, i cleaned switch contacts on switches 08 and 02 it would play ok for a while then start the two ball thing again,
i remember this thread from along time ago and tried some of the tips from other members.
the switch test checked out ok as well.
I finally found the problem, i took off the apron and watched the balls doing there thing, the 2nd ball would just go straight through to the shooter lane
and join the other ball that was already sitting there waiting to be plunged.
so i started activating switches with my finger, first switch 28 then hold down switch 02 where the ball should wait, the kicker did not attempt to kick out the second ball (my finger),
but when putting the ball through it would play up.
turns out that the ball was activating both switches 28 and 02 at the same time, when adjusting the switches properly the problem was solved.
on my machine there is a very fine line between switch 28 turning off and switch 02 switching on.
Hope this may help someone in the future.

Ian

That's been my experience with those 2 switches as well. Very fine line adjusting them just right. Fortunately my Xenon hasn't missed a beat in years now......wish I could say the same about some of my other games!

Offline 63wizz

• Forum Posts:
  • Tasmania
    • My Pinball Collection
« Reply #101 on: April 24, 2016, 08:01:48 PM »
At least we know what to look for now, the ball travels through that area so fast it was hard to see any problem.
Glad to here your Xenon is working perfectly, its a great game with amazing artwork, sometimes i just lean on the glass and look at the art.

Hope you sort out your other game problems.

Ian

Offline Crashramp

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #102 on: April 24, 2016, 10:06:30 PM »
At least we know what to look for now, the ball travels through that area so fast it was hard to see any problem.
Glad to here your Xenon is working perfectly, its a great game with amazing artwork, sometimes i just lean on the glass and look at the art.

Hope you sort out your other game problems.

Ian

Thanks Ian, Xenon's still the game I play the most. I have every intention of doing a complete restoration on mine but I don't look forward to having it out of action while I do it.