Author Topic: The conversation has changed  (Read 289 times)

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
The conversation has changed
« on: May 01, 2013, 08:05:31 PM »
G'day friends
I have been a member of various pinball forums and discussion groups for the last nine or ten years

Pinball has been a journey of nostalgia for me. I love discussion about the games I grew up with and hearing other peoples views about the games other they played when they were kids.
I love pinball art, I love seeing how the engineers built these wonderful machines

But a year (or so) ago, Stern started making an effort in the games they were producing, people started to care more about what pinball were going to be made, rather than the games they used to play.

Also the pinball modification industry has taken off.
Bright LEDs and other bling are being considered even before players have their new game set up

I am sure it is good for pinball (the increased traffic on this site is proof of that),
but it is not for me

Not leaving, but not here every day either

I thank you all
Pete

Offline Ballywannabe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Perth
Re: The conversation has changed
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 08:09:03 PM »
Hey Pete

there are still plenty of us ''old school tragics'' still hanging around!

cheers
Ian

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 09:42:22 PM »

As one of the respected members here Pete, your regular presence is missed mate. I hope you find some time for us when you can.

The pinball landscape certainly has changed and continues to evolve. The apparent pinball revival is a great thing, the new offerings - well you said it very well.

Looking forward to the trip up there for my WoZ initiation!!
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 10:18:47 PM »
Hope you pop in Pete from time to time and remember if your ever in Geelong your always welcome.  Ill definately be calling in for a pie next time I'm passing through

Offline Pintoxicated

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 11:00:52 PM »
Agree the conversation has changed but dare I say that some conversation is better than a eulogy.  There are signs of new life in pinball which can only be good.  I spose some of us are beginning to know how the old EM guys felt when SS and DMD machines ended their world.
Addicted to pins.

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 09:33:35 AM »
I hear you Pete, I am a bit over it too, defenately changed alot over the last few years.  Unfortunately its wearing off on my passion for the game, hadn't turned a pin on for over a month until one of my sons asked me to play with him a couple of days back.  Good to hear you are still floating around though mate  *%*

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 11:30:18 AM »

The landscape has troughs and peaks. I don't mind the newer games, LEDs and mods. An interesting talking point, and a growth area for sure. I'm happy the younger generations are picking up on the new games as eventually they discover the history of the game, and start owning older machines.

The classics from our youth have stood the test of time. The old saying "they don't make them like they used to" rings true. Personally, I need an EM fix - time for a few EM restorations  %$%

Garage is always open for you, Pete  ^^^ I always enjoy our conversations.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Freiherr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2013, 12:10:13 PM »
I know how you feel Pete but deep down we all love this thing called pinball because of one thing, the silver ball.
From the day I played my first game in 1967 as a curious 8yo, I have been always fascinated by the sight, sound, feel and yes even the smell of all that electronic and mechanical stuff when you open the coin box door.
Sure, styles and fashions change snd technology comes with better and easier things but despite all that, pinball is in good shape. Remember how they said video killed the radio star? Well it has not. Cars replaced horses but a few smart guys turned horse racing into the sport of kings.
There are times when I leave pinball for weeks or months but when I do play some games after a break, I enjoy the machines even more than before.
Stay in there, you love pinball or you never would have been here in the first place.
If you don't remember the 70s then you were on drugs.
If you remember playing pinball in the 70s you were having a good time.
If you don't remember anything,  then read about it here,