Author Topic: Add-On Sound Module for EMs and EM Arcade machines - Proto finished!  (Read 8781 times)

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
SPACE GUN just begs for this..

Offline oldskool1969

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
Not aimed at you Andy just bad timing
Ha ha ha , it's all good.  ^^^
Better suited to early SS machines or custom jobbies  I think,  Chimes rock!
 I like simple, just like me.
If it isn't broke, it isn't pinball.

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong

Yes would be perfect in an Em shooter if only I had one :(

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!

I know it does - all the input circuitry and MP3 stuff  and amplifiers work a treat but you need to find 12V DC and the thing that stopped me progressing it was the spiraling cost of it??? Several people who inquired and I mention a price LESS than the price in my earlier post had heart failure so I gave up on it.....the simple fact is short runs of anything like this require minimum size orders.

I am having the exact problem every day here in China - I wanted some table top hinges today for the Hankin tables - no problem, cheap as chips BUT minimum order size 5000 pieces (I need two per table).

I actually started on this project originally for arcade SS machines such as Gavins Space Gun......
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:

Depends.. ive just re read Mikes post. We did trial one in Space Gun but it needed further work.. if it needs a 12v trigger then im out of luck as coils work on 28VAC

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
Ive got some great space  noises to put on this if it can work on an AC EM game.. its surprising how a bit of sound can make a good game into a bloody great game

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Want to know one of my little secrets to getting these sound boards to work on the block (system 11)??

Because system 11 use the relay so the same transistor can either drive a flasher or a relay we couldn't get them to work because the sounds would be firing every 30 seconds instead of just when the coil or whichever single item we wanted to trigger a sound.    Took me a bloody long time to work this out and ended up being a very simple solution...

Offline Homepin

• Forum Posts:

Depends.. ive just re read Mikes post. We did trial one in Space Gun but it needed further work.. if it needs a 12v trigger then im out of luck as coils work on 28VAC

The inputs all work fine with coil voltage as triggers (they are isolated with optos) it is ONLY the power supply that is an issue....perhaps Daniel can tell us how he connected his units??

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
Then in that case power supply is not an issue.. I already have a 12VDC supply installed as I put RGB modules in the front of the cabinet to shine colour changing dots on the floor when the machine was on.. simple enough solution.. a 30W 12VDC LED supply taken from the mains input gives you 2.5A to work with.. plenty to run lights and sound

Offline Homepin

• Forum Posts:
Then in that case power supply is not an issue.. I already have a 12VDC supply installed as I put RGB modules in the front of the cabinet to shine colour changing dots on the floor when the machine was on.. simple enough solution.. a 30W 12VDC LED supply taken from the mains input gives you 2.5A to work with.. plenty to run lights and sound

It should work perfectly in your machine BUT ask Daniel how he triggered his boards just to be sure (unless he has already said and I missed it?).

Offline delarge

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wagg Wagga, NSW
$260 was deemed too expensive? Wow.... We spend so much money on pinball mods. I didn't think it sounded too bad for the possibilities.

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
Want to know one of my little secrets to getting these sound boards to work on the block (system 11)??

Because system 11 use the relay so the same transistor can either drive a flasher or a relay we couldn't get them to work because the sounds would be firing every 30 seconds instead of just when the coil or whichever single item we wanted to trigger a sound.    Took me a bloody long time to work this out and ended up being a very simple solution...

So you took the trigger off the coil that fired?

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
No we couldn't use the coils as triggers on the system 11 coils worked fine on our Custom Rocky pinball running from the coils but for the Block wi ended up mounting micro switches all daisy chained to the coil voltages and back to mikes board that way I could basically trigger a sound anywhere I wanted even ran two in series to activate the multiball sound

Offline Homepin

• Forum Posts:
$260 was deemed too expensive? Wow.... We spend so much money on pinball mods. I didn't think it sounded too bad for the possibilities.

One of the issues for me is that it isn't just plug-N-play and requires a fair bit of 'nous by the installer.

This then creates a massive amount of work for me on an individual board install basis and I simply don't have the time.

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:

One of the issues for me is that it isn't just plug-N-play and requires a fair bit of 'nous by the installer.

This then creates a massive amount of work for me on an individual board install basis and I simply don't have the time.

Seems it would work OK for the gun game as these sit high at all times till sunk to ground.. no phantom switching. For an EM game, trigger can be taken off the coil firing or direct from a leaf switch closing. That's nothing that an EM person wouldn't be able to work out as you know, no different to fixing one. I can see that this could get complicated of someone was trying to expand the sound on an SS game and wanted to come from the boards.. but for an EM?.. is nice and simple... where do I sign up?